Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DF small and silly blueprint  (Read 2989 times)

taro8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF small and silly blueprint
« on: February 15, 2011, 05:43:15 pm »

Here is a blueprint I made. I think some may find it useful.

Its giant skull that will fit perfectly to your evil fortress. Just crave it out of stone, or build it so mouth can serve as an entry to your sinister base, so everyone can witness your evilness and cover in fear (as they should). For extra points you can make magma drip out of its eyes. A nice finishing touch would be 2 or 3 chimneys behind it. You can put rotting stuff in there so miasma goes up the chimney making your fortress look even more terrible to passerbys.

(NOTE: best effect if build into active volcano)

Technical stuff: I made this in a way that allows easy construction if DF, it should look pretty decent in DF.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BTW: Can someone pull this off? I tried, but I have lots of problem with running even most basic fortress. You can use Fortress Overseer to show final results.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 05:46:41 pm by taro8 »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: DF small and silly blueprint
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 05:49:36 pm »

This is difficult at best.  Objects hanging off a Z level tend to cave-in, so those teeth that are hanging from the upper mouth would cave in, along with those corner blocks on the eyes.

You could make it one color, and use the skull shape of another color stone, but when it's across Z levels it's only really useful when viewed from Stonesense.  And let's be fair, if you're using Stonesense, you'll want it 3D, so you can bask in its awe and allow magma to pour from the eyes.

taro8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 05:55:02 pm »

Maybe, but it can be constructed out of walls with solid rock behind it. I think it would prevent stuff from falling down.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 06:49:03 pm »

This is difficult at best.  Objects hanging off a Z level tend to cave-in, so those teeth that are hanging from the upper mouth would cave in, along with those corner blocks on the eyes.

If those are constructed walls they will not cave in, i see nothing about that design that would cave in.  I think I will go build it too...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 06:55:28 pm »

I was hoping for a 3D blueprint. :)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 06:56:37 pm »

Constructed or natural, those two front teeth are going to cave-in.  On further looking, the other teeth and eye-bits won't, but those front teeth will unless you support them from behind.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 06:59:02 pm »

Constructed or natural, those two front teeth are going to cave-in.  On further looking, the other teeth and eye-bits won't, but those front teeth will unless you support them from behind.

Constructed walls can be supported from above, as can natural walls...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 07:00:44 pm by gtmattz »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 07:01:25 pm »

I'm pretty sure they won't unless supported by an actual Support building, but I'll have to test this post-haste.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 07:02:50 pm »

I'm pretty sure they won't unless supported by an actual Support building, but I'll have to test this post-haste.

I am pretty sure you will find that I am right.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 07:07:46 pm »

Ok, well I've learned something new then.  Walls can be supported by a wall or floor above them (I assume fortifications and stairs as well) and can also be supported by a wall or floor that is adjacent and above, like so:
Code: [Select]
Side View:
 __
W _
  _
The wall provides its own floor on the level above, which functions to keep the wall itself stable.  I'm intrigued by this.

taro8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 07:11:28 pm »

We will see about the walls. Anyway, does miasma travels up when it can? Im hoping that miasma chimneys can also be done.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 07:21:16 pm »

It can be done, but is difficult to do, really.  The issue is that rotting things finish rotting, and stop producing miasma, so keeping your chimney running could be an issue.  The best solution is to embark on an evil biome, and capture some zombie animals in cages, then place them underground, as they'll constantly spew miasma, but ONLY while underground.  Still, 8 or so zombie creatures should be enough to push the gaseous stuff through any realistically sized chimney.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 07:39:32 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Took me longer to get overseer downloaded and working than it did to build the thing... Sorry bout the color.

taro8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 08:09:29 pm »

Damn talk about forbidding architecture  :D. I guess its clear that this can be built easily, so next step would be to make 3D skull, but that may be much harder.

You know? After seeing this I think that supervillain fortress is pretty neat idea. Did anyone started succession fort with this theme?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 08:13:45 pm »

Spider Skull Island, a la Venture Brothers.  It must be done.
Pages: [1] 2 3