Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vermin  (Read 1178 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Vermin
« on: February 15, 2011, 02:06:14 am »

I've starting catching a lot of vermin.  Since I modded cats to not chase them, I've got a guy running around with a few dozen traps, catching the buggers.  I'm getting a LOT of roaches, rats, dragonflies, and lungfish.  I have no clue what to do with them.  So can be made pets, all can if modded slightly.  Cave spiders, which I'll eventually be catching, can produce silk.

I like lungfish, they're awesome creatures in their own respect because they're fish with lungs.  I'd like to be able to do something with them, and the rest.  One idea is to make a zoo of hate, because I'm getting them all in the same cage right now.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
Re: Vermin
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 02:13:00 am »

ive been wondering what the hell to do with them as well.
since we're on topic, i have a tamed bird of some sort, like a bluejay or something like that.
I bought him from some elves and i set him to "available" for adoption.
my question is this; can he be adopted from the cage? or does he need to be in a trap? if cage, does the cage need to be placed somewhere or can it just be in the animal stockpile?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 02:26:44 am »

I assume it works the same as large animals, but I never set them available so I have no idea.  I think they'll be adopted out of cages or chains though.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 09:03:13 am »

When a tame vermin is set to be available for adoption, a dwarf who likes that creature may adopt it.  Creatures can be adopted out of a cage or a trap.  Once adopted, the animal's owner will take it and carry it around wherever they go.  I have a farmer with three or four tame large roaches crawling around on his body at all times now.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Cydonian Monk

• Bay Watcher
  • Your robots are watching you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 09:39:37 am »

And if it's a tame flying vermin critter and gets loose, the owner will spam "Unreachable" comments until it flies somewhere where they can recover it.  And they really get upset if one of the resident cats eats it first.  So upset they'll kill the mayor while complaining, and start a fort-consuming tantrum spiral.  All because of a dead BlueJay.

Not that the above scenario destroyed the Fortress of TombRiders or anything....

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 04:18:27 pm »

I made cats inert, they're no longer vermin hunters, which is why I've got this vermin trouble to begin with.

Question: if a dwarf is carrying a vermin, and another dwarf detests that vermin, will they get angry any time that dwarf comes by?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 04:32:24 pm »

Question: if a dwarf is carrying a vermin, and another dwarf detests that vermin, will they get angry any time that dwarf comes by?

I know they'll get a bad thought if they see a vermin they hate in a cage or trap.  I'm pretty sure they'll get it if they see the vermin being carried by another dwarf (they'll get the 'has been accosted by terrible vermin' thought) but I haven't specifically tested this.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 04:40:32 pm »

I just wanna see my baron running around with a dozen large roaches, so that I'll have a legitimate reason to lock him away, for the good of the fortress.