Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No clown car for me? :(  (Read 1652 times)

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No clown car for me? :(
« on: February 15, 2011, 12:38:56 am »

So I got tired of trying to find my cotton candy, and used DFReveal to find it. Apparently, I haz none. This is rather disapointing as I was planning on taking on the clowns. Is there another way around by chance?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No clown car for me? :(
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 12:51:44 am »

Maybe, sort of, though it won't cause a horde of demons to spawn, and will surely lose you a dwarf.

Find a spot where rock goes all the way through the magma sea to the semi-molten rock so you have a dry place to work. Dig all the way down to the semi-molten rock, then dig out a channel next to the lowest level of your staircase, though not on the staircase itself. This will leave a "magma flow" floor over the top of a rock ramp where you removed one square of semi-molten rock. Then, construct a floor over the magma flow, then remove it. That should leave a diggable-rock floor where the magma flow once was. Make sure a miner has to stand on that tile to dig it, then channel it out. The miner will drop down onto the former semi-molten rock tile. Now, channel the rock ramp that that miner is standing on. Then, repeat that last step until the miner falls through into hell itself.

While you can't build on tiles with a rock ramp, you can probably construct a staircase through the open space that is left once they are removed. That will allow access to hell once your sacrificial miner has broken through. This method won't give the same sense of accomplishment, however, as you'll only have to deal with occasional single or paired demons wandering in from the map edges, not the group that spawns when you pierce an adamantine tube.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 12:53:20 am »

You can hax it in using a custom reaction (an in-workshop action) and, if you want, balance it.  You could easily have it spawn a hundred waffers of the stuff for free, or you could make it require 10 steel and 1 platinum if you want some balance to it.

Also, use Prospector, and see if it lists and of the stuff.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 10:54:58 pm »

Maybe, sort of, though it won't cause a horde of demons to spawn, and will surely lose you a dwarf.

Find a spot where rock goes all the way through the magma sea to the semi-molten rock so you have a dry place to work. Dig all the way down to the semi-molten rock, then dig out a channel next to the lowest level of your staircase, though not on the staircase itself. This will leave a "magma flow" floor over the top of a rock ramp where you removed one square of semi-molten rock. Then, construct a floor over the magma flow, then remove it. That should leave a diggable-rock floor where the magma flow once was. Make sure a miner has to stand on that tile to dig it, then channel it out. The miner will drop down onto the former semi-molten rock tile. Now, channel the rock ramp that that miner is standing on. Then, repeat that last step until the miner falls through into hell itself.

While you can't build on tiles with a rock ramp, you can probably construct a staircase through the open space that is left once they are removed. That will allow access to hell once your sacrificial miner has broken through. This method won't give the same sense of accomplishment, however, as you'll only have to deal with occasional single or paired demons wandering in from the map edges, not the group that spawns when you pierce an adamantine tube.

So basically, no? I'm looking for the large rush of demons to take on. While I have nothing against some glitch abuse to get to what I want, it won't spawn the demon wave, so it doesn't do what I want. How about if I were to use DFReveal and unpause it with the map revealed. That usually generates the first message for hell, would that spawn the demons?

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 12:00:14 am »

So basically, no? I'm looking for the large rush of demons to take on. While I have nothing against some glitch abuse to get to what I want, it won't spawn the demon wave, so it doesn't do what I want. How about if I were to use DFReveal and unpause it with the map revealed. That usually generates the first message for hell, would that spawn the demons?

Um, not to suggest the obvious, but why not just try it? What's the worst that can happen? Try it and if you don't like the result, you can always ctrl alt delete out of the save. Why ask us what you can easily find out for yourself (more easily than we can answer, even, since we don't have access to your particular save and its peculiarities)?

Note: if it does spawn the demons, you'll get the message and then they'll all appear on the nit list.
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 12:46:41 am »

Um, not to suggest the obvious, but why not just try it? What's the worst that can happen? Try it and if you don't like the result, you can always ctrl alt delete out of the save. Why ask us what you can easily find out for yourself (more easily than we can answer, even, since we don't have access to your particular save and its peculiarities)?

Note: if it does spawn the demons, you'll get the message and then they'll all appear on the nit list.

Mostly because it's a LONG way down to hell for me. Fort currently resides on Z150-142, and hell is somewhere around -30. I only have one cavern, so most of that is all rock. I'd need to go through the process of figuring out how to do the trick above, and pray it works.