Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Room designations and extra furniture  (Read 3542 times)

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Room designations and extra furniture
« on: February 14, 2011, 11:31:28 pm »

So, if I designate a bedroom from a bed, and another bed is in the area, and then I give that room to a dwarf, will he use either bed? If I put a table and chair in the room, will he use them too? Or will it just be extra, unused furniture? If there's an armor rack in the room, does it need to be turned into a room before he'll use it, or is having it in a separate room that the dwarf owns enough for him to use it?

Sorry for the rapid-fire questions, but I'm afraid I still don't understand room designations :(
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Room designations and extra furniture
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 11:43:00 pm »

So, if I designate a bedroom from a bed, and another bed is in the area, and then I give that room to a dwarf, will he use either bed? If I put a table and chair in the room, will he use them too? Or will it just be extra, unused furniture? If there's an armor rack in the room, does it need to be turned into a room before he'll use it, or is having it in a separate room that the dwarf owns enough for him to use it?

I don't think he'll use the other bed, but it will add to his room value and give him happy thoughts if it's of a material he likes. He will use a table and chair sometimes but unless you designate it as a dining room/office he won't consider that he has a dining room/office. If a given space is designated as more than room (for example, you have a bedroom and a dining table, and designate them as a bedroom and a dining room), the value of the room is divided among the various uses.

Armor stands and weapon racks don't actually have any function yet so they won't get used. For nobles (who demand a certain number of chests, cabinets, armor stands, etc.) just having the furniture in a room (bedroom, dining room, or office) they own is good enough.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 11:48:04 pm »

To summarize my knowledge of bedrooms:
When you make a bedroom, and then leave it, the first dwarf to sleep there will claim it as theirs.  When they die, this room is made available again.  Because of this, you never have to assign bedrooms for commoners, just make a lot of bedrooms and let them sort it out.  They seem to prefer sleeping in unassigned bedrooms more than dormitories, so bedrooms get claimed quickly.

Any chests, armor stands, weapon racks, cabinets, and other traditional furniture will become that dwarf's, under the room usage.  So, if there's an armor stand in the room, and you make it a bedroom, the armor stand is already included.  You can see this when you look at a dwarf, and it'll list their owned items, including "Meager Bedroom, 1 Armor Stand, 1 Chest, etc".  These count for noble's needs, as they'll demand chests, cabinets, and armor stands/weapon racks as part of their owned things.  It appears that having a private dining room with things in it also makes it owned by the dining room's owner, so having a grand dining room with armor stands as decoration for a noble, with make those stands owned by said noble.

You can assign armor racks to individuals, and they'll presumably store their armor there while off-duty, however this is buggy at best, because soldiers do a poor job of removing and re-arming their equipment.  It's pretty much always better to leave them armed at all times and not worry about it.  An armor rack inside a bedroom will just be decoration until you make a barracks/armory out of it, in this case an armory since it shouldn't have training active.

As for which bed they sleep in, I'm not sure, although I think children of that dwarf will use the extra beds, so family bedrooms should likely get a few more?  Tables and chairs, I usually make a dining room/study out of, so I don't know if they're claimed by default as part of the bedroom.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 11:52:29 pm »

Armor stands and weapon racks don't actually have any function yet so they won't get used. For nobles (who demand a certain number of chests, cabinets, armor stands, etc.) just having the furniture in a room (bedroom, dining room, or office) they own is good enough.

Cabinets store clothing, which happens successfully.  Chests hold finished goods and coins, but because economy is currently edited out of DF2010, dwarves will not claim goods or coins, so chests are only good for satisfying nobles and stocking hospitals.  Armor stands and weapon racks DO work, but not very well at all.  A soldier will store armor on an armor rack if they're off duty and instructed to be in civilian clothes.  However, and random hauler will then snag the armor off the rack and take it to a stockpile, at least for me.  This proves irritating at best, and because dwarves never put on new civilian clothes anyways, it's just best to leave them in uniform all the time.  Same goes for weapon racks.

I'm hoping that in the next release (apparently this week!) you'll be able to better use armor/weapon stands and hopefully assign armor via them, so that you can put good armor on the racks for soldiers to grab and low quality armor in the stockpiles for melting.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 12:09:33 am »

Additional note: if you put chairs and tables in the bedrooms, dwarves will use them instead of your main dining room. If you've put a lot of effort into making a legendary dining room and you want the dwarves to get the related happy thoughts, don't put chairs and tables in their rooms.

Obviously, nobels are the exception since they require individual rooms.
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 12:14:57 am »

On the same note, if you do make legendary dining halls for every dwarf (which isn't that hard with a masterwork gold chair and table) then you'll need ever BETTER for your nobles, since they get unhappy if someone else has better.  That is, if you care about your nobles of course...

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 12:19:26 am »

If a given space is designated as more than room (for example, you have a bedroom and a dining table, and designate them as a bedroom and a dining room), the value of the room is divided among the various uses.
A common misconception; the value of the chamber is not, in fact, divided among the various rooms designated within. Instead, if one room overlaps another, the value of the rooms is divided by 4. This is true whether there are two rooms overlapping or two hundred.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 01:16:00 am »

If a given space is designated as more than room (for example, you have a bedroom and a dining table, and designate them as a bedroom and a dining room), the value of the room is divided among the various uses.
A common misconception; the value of the chamber is not, in fact, divided among the various rooms designated within. Instead, if one room overlaps another, the value of the rooms is divided by 4. This is true whether there are two rooms overlapping or two hundred.

I learned something today.

Stupid learning.

Keejus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 11:58:56 am »

I assume this only applies to the overlapping sections of said room? If you gave a dwarf a 5x3 room, and assigned a 3x3 part of the floor as bedroom, and the opposite 3x3 as dining room, only the line dividing the two is cheapened?

Elu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 02:19:59 pm »

When you make a bedroom, and then leave it, the first dwarf to sleep there will claim it as theirs.  When they die, this room is made available again.  Because of this, you never have to assign bedrooms for commoners, just make a lot of bedrooms and let them sort it out.  They seem to prefer sleeping in unassigned bedrooms more than dormitories, so bedrooms get claimed quickly.
snip

so you're telling me that i have manually and painfully assigned *every* single bedroom to hundreds of dorfs, rejoycin when someone was married, for nothing?
oh man, i think i'll just pull that skull-marked lever as a celebration of this epiphany
Dwarf Fortress, a game which learning curve is a Himalayan trail covered in blood. and alcohol. on fire.

English is not my mother tongue, please point out my mistakes and help me improve it : )

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 02:57:07 pm »

snip

so you're telling me that i have manually and painfully assigned *every* single bedroom to hundreds of dorfs, rejoycin when someone was married, for nothing?
oh man, i think i'll just pull that skull-marked lever as a celebration of this epiphany
You can do it either way. I tend to build bedrooms & let dwarves claim them themselves at first but you'll end up with a few busy stragglers who haven't claimed one & you'll need to manually assign it for them (usually hunters & military I find but sometimes regular dwarfs too).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:59:17 pm by Malibu Stacey »
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 04:31:40 pm »

I just let everyone claim a common bedroom, and then re-assign for important dwarves.  As I've grown fond of having my population cap at 0, giving me ~20 dwarves because of the two migrant waves, and then slow growth from children, I can just make some bedrooms for people, and then my legendary armorsmith can get upgraded to a good bedroom while his child gets his old commoner bedroom.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 05:36:59 pm »

I assume this only applies to the overlapping sections of said room? If you gave a dwarf a 5x3 room, and assigned a 3x3 part of the floor as bedroom, and the opposite 3x3 as dining room, only the line dividing the two is cheapened?
No. If a room overlaps with another room, its value is decreased by 3/4 relative to a room that does not overlap with another room. How much of the rooms overlap is immaterial, as is how many rooms overlap with it. Overlapping rooms, at all, decreases their value by 3/4.

You'd be far better off turning that 5x3 chamber into 2 5x3 rooms than 2 3x3 rooms, as rooms also take a penalty if they aren't surrounded on all sides by impassible tiles or doors.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 05:42:53 pm »

The problem I've had with dwarves claiming rooms is that they had a tendancy to sleep on the nearest bed, regardless of who(if anyone) owned it, whether or not they had one themselves, which prevented them from claiming a room. This might have been an older version, and it might have been fixed for .18, but I've been assigning each room individually(and they've been sleeping in their assigned rooms).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 05:46:56 pm »

.18, I've had no issues with cross-sleeping.  Try again, it's a lot easier than manually assigning.
Pages: [1] 2