Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: What you DONT want in DF?  (Read 29619 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: What you DONT want in DF?
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2011, 09:40:18 pm »

Didn't we already derail this thread with that advertisement stuff?  Threads aren't that hard to rerail.

Anyway,
I remember reading in one of the FotF responses that Toady said he was only making bogeymen attacks so extremely common as a way of "breaking them in", and that they'll become much less common when he gets around to addressing them again.
Pretty much.   They literally exist as a way to put the idea out there that night-time should be dangerous.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2011, 09:53:17 pm »

Didn't we already derail this thread with that advertisement stuff?  Threads aren't that hard to rerail.

Anyway,

Yes, and some go so far off the tracks that none remember where their destination was in the first place.

I remember reading in one of the FotF responses that Toady said he was only making bogeymen attacks so extremely common as a way of "breaking them in", and that they'll become much less common when he gets around to addressing them again.
Pretty much.   They literally exist as a way to put the idea out there that night-time should be dangerous.

This pleases me.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2011, 10:59:05 pm »

I don't want to see night creatures that sparkle in the daylight.  ;)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2011, 11:09:32 pm »

I don't want to see night creatures that sparkle in the daylight.  ;)

Night Creatures really remind me of the fae from White Wolf's Changeling: The Lost, especially the ogre types.

They kidnap random people, change them, brainwash them, and then spend their time killing random other people and grinding their bones to make their bread.

They're actually just more hungry monsters in DF than they are the utterly incomprehensible beings that Changeling tries to be, however.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2011, 12:42:38 am »

Night Creatures really remind me of the fae from White Wolf's Changeling: The Lost, especially the ogre types.

When you put it that way, I guess sparkling in the daylight would be appropriate for them.

Reminds me of an idea I had for a Darkling Changeling named Edvard who thought he was a vampire and went around inexplicably picking up women until the local vampire Prince sends the PCs to take him out.  8)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2011, 12:56:46 am »

A short post on topic, just for the hell of it.

Magic.

Ok, that's already been said. What I don't want to see is controllable magic. I don't mind fire imps throwing fireballs, demons, evil biomes and unicorns and all that. But I don't want magic in the hands of dwarves. I like the idea of magic as something dangerous and fearful. Something inflicted on the player, rather than used directly by them. If that makes sense.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2011, 01:01:01 am »

Allergies. There's a difference between fun and retarded.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2011, 02:00:25 am »

If there's going to be magic, it can't be all powerful. For example, if alchemy were to be reimplemented to transmute one material into another, the reaction should not be very efficient. Something like "3X copper bar= 1X gold bar" or something along those lines, possibly getting better as the dwarf skills up. Magic should not be allowed to overshadow the rest of the game.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2011, 02:03:31 am »

If there's going to be magic, it can't be all powerful. For example, if alchemy were to be reimplemented to transmute one material into another, the reaction should not be very efficient. Something like "3X copper bar= 1X gold bar" or something along those lines, possibly getting better as the dwarf skills up. Magic should not be allowed to overshadow the rest of the game.
I think it should have no role in fortress mode whatsoever.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2011, 02:16:13 am »

While that would be fun and rather fitting, I'm not sure I can trust elves with magic

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2011, 02:29:41 am »

While that would be fun and rather fitting, I'm not sure I can trust elves with magic
We already don't trust them with anything.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2011, 02:31:07 am »

We already don't trust them with anything.

I trust them with my lead toys and goblets.

Also, the hundredth post is yours.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2011, 02:35:39 am »

You forgot the pitchblende toy boats.

Stone Wera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2011, 02:41:54 am »

No, I keep the pitchblende to myself. For when Toady finally implements nuclear power plants.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2011, 02:46:13 am »

No, I keep the pitchblende to myself. For when Toady finally implements nuclear power plants.
And give the elves the byproducts  8)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16