Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18

Author Topic: The Portal 2 ARG, potatoes, Valve time, no spoilers. Pretty much outdated now.  (Read 12985 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Portal 2 is now available for pre-order
« Reply #241 on: April 18, 2011, 11:10:46 pm »

Neonivek's Rule of Gaming #?: If you preorder a game it is your own fault as to the quality of the product. Never preorder if you can help it.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 18, 2011, 11:13:16 pm »

Never mind Valves long-standing quality, skill at making sequels that are bigger and better, and excellent (for the most part >_>) customer service?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #244 on: April 18, 2011, 11:14:26 pm »

It seems like the remaining two games may have massively accelerated. Defense Grid might finish fairly soon, possibly shortening the release. (more likely, it's accelerating so that they finish with the release, though, and probably won't reduce the countdown by a significant ammount.)
Eh?
Eh!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 18, 2011, 11:16:48 pm »

Never mind Valves long-standing quality, skill at making sequels that are bigger and better, and excellent (for the most part >_>) customer service?

I am sorry but you simply do not preorder even when the source is generally good.

Since once Valve makes a bad game it will only be your own fault (Even great companies made bad games.)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 18, 2011, 11:18:42 pm »

Neonivek's Rule of Gaming #?: If you preorder a game it is your own fault as to the quality of the product. Never preorder if you can help it.

Which is why I'm waiting for reviews. :)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #247 on: April 18, 2011, 11:20:58 pm »

I am sorry but you simply do not preorder even when the source is generally good.

Since once Valve makes a bad game it will only be your own fault (Even great companies made bad games.)
Nobody is arguing the point that pre-ordering a bad game is anyone else's fault, I don't understand why you're making this assertion. Having faith in a company or in a game is not a bad thing, I mean look at all the people where willing to donate to DF just on the premise of the game it -could- become.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 18, 2011, 11:21:58 pm »

Looks like Defense Grid will finish in the next 15 minutes or so, just slightly ahead of the clock itself.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 18, 2011, 11:22:30 pm »

I am simply explaining why the rule is the rule.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #250 on: April 18, 2011, 11:27:34 pm »

'Caveat Emptor' is much older than you, and still applies today whether you're pre-ordering or not.

For my part, I don't mind paying 10 dollars less for a game I am going to buy either way. I am fairly certain I will enjoy Portal 2.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 18, 2011, 11:27:56 pm »

2 minutes till show time.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 18, 2011, 11:28:35 pm »

It's out now. I'm decrypting the files right now!
Edit: It sure is taking its time...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:31:23 pm by Thendash »
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 18, 2011, 11:29:21 pm »

Gooooo decrypting!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 18, 2011, 11:30:18 pm »

Well, to be fair, you made abundant use of "you", and "the rule", when what you really should have said was "I" and "my rule". This seems to imply you were stating a universal truth, not a personal opinion. Hence, why we felt justified in responding.

In general: Pre-ordering Portal 2 gets (actually got, since the deal has apparently ended) you a 10% discount. Statistically, that means that you should pre-order if the chance of the game sucking is less than or equal to 10%. Cost to pre-order = $45, cost to purchase afterwards = ($50 * X), where X is the chance that Portal 2 is worth purchasing. If X >= 90%, it's worth it to pre-order. And, given Valve's track record, I'm absolutely willing to give them a 90% or greater of succeeding; hence, pre-ordering makes financial and mathematical sense.

Getting to play it the moment it's released, and getting a free copy of Portal 1 to gift, is just a perk.  :D
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18