Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: The Portal 2 ARG, potatoes, Valve time, no spoilers. Pretty much outdated now.  (Read 13027 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Portal 2 is now available for pre-order
« Reply #180 on: April 18, 2011, 12:40:59 pm »

And we're not really getting an early release.  It's like a store jacking up their base prices 20% and then having a 20% off sale.  Nothing's actually cheaper.

By the same logic, you can't complain about a game being released late, either right? We don't actually KNOW they were planning on releasing on a certain date, they just said they were.

(I AM ticked off at the results of the ARG, but not really very much because I didn't personally invest much time or any money above what I was comfortable with. I can definitely see why a fair number of people are really annoyed. This guy on reddit has a good summary of the whole thing for anyone who's curious: LINK)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 12:57:01 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 18, 2011, 12:55:22 pm »

The number of potatoes is falling, and there's a new message: "Engaging starch based power cells."

Wonder what effect it's having on time/the bars.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 18, 2011, 01:01:40 pm »

Hmm... at the current rate of decrease it could keep going for over 26 hours, so it's probably a boost of some sort (like the overclocking mentioned previously) rather than a countdown of its own. Edit2: redid my math/noticed other people talking and realized it's set to end around midnight.

Edit: oh and new text in the output there too
10:50 - Engaging starch-based power cells
11:00 - Reboot safety test protocol initiated...
11:00 - Relaxation chamber locks released...
11:00 - Involuntary hazard mitigation associates have assumed testing positions...
11:00 - Pre-release lethality assessment initiated...

and the big ZERO background has changed to NINE.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:09:18 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 18, 2011, 01:16:02 pm »

Got my last potato last night.

Nice to see another bay12'ver get all of the potatoes.  ;D

The number of potatoes is falling, and there's a new message: "Engaging starch based power cells."

Wonder what effect it's having on time/the bars.

At it's current rate it will empty in about 10 hours, but that neglects any new ones coming in which may push it up by another hour or so.

edit:
Someone has made an appearance in the background image on the GLaDOS@home page.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:19:06 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 18, 2011, 01:18:10 pm »

Maybe it's releasing the game for the top contributors?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 18, 2011, 01:21:30 pm »

Actually I'm wondering if the various members of the arg community that have been hijacked by GLaDOS have been given the chance to play earlier.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 18, 2011, 01:26:18 pm »

BTW:

var g_currentPotatoConsumptionRate = 11.6771584699;

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #187 on: April 18, 2011, 01:58:42 pm »

So the timer on this page is broken...
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 18, 2011, 02:00:12 pm »

I like how everybody and their grandmother is saying "this means Portal 2 gets released early" when all I see is a bunch of countdowns leading to the normal release date. I don't recall Valve once saying buying those indie games would get Portal 2 released early, but I do recall sites like these jumping to conclusions and falling for a free marketing trap.

The little potato countdown is going at a rate at which it will reach zero in roughly twelve hours. There's only 14 hours until the standard release. There's a funky cryptic website with some bars and some numbers.

By all accounts, even if the game is unlocked right now, can you call 12 hours an "early release?" Come on, Kotaku. This is a launch countdown, not an early release. It never was an early release.

:|

So the timer on this page is broken...

How so?

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #189 on: April 18, 2011, 02:28:20 pm »

It's stuck at 14:42 while the timer on the official website is at 13:00.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 18, 2011, 02:29:34 pm »

It's stuck at 14:42 while the timer on the official website is at 13:00.

Ah, you are correct, I didn't even notice.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 18, 2011, 02:35:44 pm »

I like how everybody and their grandmother is saying "this means Portal 2 gets released early" when all I see is a bunch of countdowns leading to the normal release date. I don't recall Valve once saying buying those indie games would get Portal 2 released early, but I do recall sites like these jumping to conclusions and falling for a free marketing trap.

What a douche.

What a blind douche.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 18, 2011, 02:41:21 pm »

By all accounts, even if the game is unlocked right now, can you call 12 hours an "early release?" Come on, Kotaku. This is a launch countdown, not an early release. It never was an early release.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 18, 2011, 02:45:22 pm »

So... by reading reddit/blog comments/forum posts it sounds like there are a few camps that are starting to fight right about now all over the place. You have the "I guess it was a marketing ploy, but some good indie games got publicity and we're getting the game a few hours earlier than normal steam releases" crowd (that's me), the "We're not getting what we paid for when we bought these games we didn't want!" crowd (that seems like the comment you posted Draco), and the other more minority camps that lean one way or the other. I guess some people are ticked off they bought something they didn't want, while other are more satisfied with their indie game purchases? Edit: I like this comment that replied to the one you posted, Draco:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, and Audiosurf finished, looks like The Ball's up next.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 02:50:12 pm by Bluerobin »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 18, 2011, 02:47:29 pm »

I find it hilarious that people took it all so seriously honestly. Most I did was casually play some indie games I probably would have played anyway :P

And Draco: technically even 5 minutes earlier is still an 'early release', you can't just make everything comply to your own rigid definitions :P
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18