Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: The Portal 2 ARG, potatoes, Valve time, no spoilers. Pretty much outdated now.  (Read 12976 times)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Portal 2 is now available for pre-order
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2011, 04:02:52 pm »

I, personally, would like to commend Catastrophic lolcats for a well written response to my post.

Has there been any new news on Co-op? That is one of my most looked forward to features.

I'm kinda... worried about co-op. I mean, co-op in L4D (and most other co-op games) works because each round tends to be different from previous rounds - that, and zombie-killing never gets old.  ;D
Portal 2, though... I can imagine it being a blast the first time through, but once you've solved the puzzles once, I really don't see how it'll be fun to re-do them with random people online.

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2011, 04:17:34 pm »

I assume thats sorta what everyone expects, I mean puzzle games almost never have a large replay value I dont expect portal to be much differant.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2011, 04:18:05 pm »

I still have fun playing the first Portal occasionally, but it really is a once-through kind of a game.  Challenging yourself to do it better/differently/faster is really the only way to get replay value out of Portal.  I doubt that this will change for the co-op side of it.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2011, 04:44:43 pm »

What I want to see is better map making ability. A good editor and a flexible ability to add new map elements would be awesome.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2011, 05:59:40 pm »

Speaking of which, on the Steam Store page: Editing Tools: Portal 2 editing tools will be included. Note: To be made available after launch

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2011, 09:56:21 pm »

Portal 2, though... I can imagine it being a blast the first time through, but once you've solved the puzzles once, I really don't see how it'll be fun to re-do them with random people online.
The old (awesome) game Zork: Grand Inquisitor had a two-player mode.  Or more specifically, it had an online backseat driver mode.  You don't generally play adventure games more than once, or at least you don't expect a new and more challenging experience, but the first experience is still pretty fun and can be made better if you play it with someone you know and like--even if they are across the country!

Also, I guess you could try to do the puzzles faster and get achievements.  Screw you, Vanilla Crazy Cake (or whatever it was called).  Its multiplayer won't be L4D, no, but it's a toootally different genre.  I don't expect replay value from Portal, and it's not what I plan to buy it for.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2011, 10:18:03 pm »

Also, I guess you could try to do the puzzles faster and get achievements.  Screw you, Vanilla Crazy Cake (or whatever it was called).  Its multiplayer won't be L4D, no, but it's a toootally different genre.  I don't expect replay value from Portal, and it's not what I plan to buy it for.

Precisely.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2011, 10:50:49 pm »

I, personally, would like to commend Catastrophic lolcats for a well written response to my post.

Nawwww.
Moving on.

I'm wondering if Portal 2 will embrace or remove some of the bugs people were exploiting in the first one to get speed runs. I hope it's the former, some of those videos were pretty intence.

Co-op will be interesting. It wouldn't be something I would try online at all due to strangers generally being bad people. I'd have to drag my room mate out of his statis for it, atleast I can punch him if he throws me into a trap.

As for achievements in the first Portal, I never got the Crazy Cake either :-[. I just don't like timers in games at all.
I'm also hoping for a much better boss battle, the one in portal could have been a lot more exciting (not expecting much, boss battles have gone the way of health packs in today's games).

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2011, 11:36:41 pm »

I've never been a fan of ascended glitches; given that every new game is liable to have a half-dozen new glitches to exploit, enshrining the old ones seems counter-intuitive. (Plus, beating levels by repeatedly grabbing a bucket is boring.  :P )

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2011, 11:41:01 pm »

Yes, I wouldn't buy it for longevity, unless they do some magic. I think that 50 bucks (not counting the discount) seems a bit too much for Portal 2.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2011, 11:51:42 pm »

Speaking of which, any of you guys want to pitch in 40 bucks to my steam wallet to get the 2-pack?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2011, 12:05:44 am »

Maybe next month. I wanna get the 2 pack as well.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2011, 12:45:45 am »

I've never been a fan of ascended glitches; given that every new game is liable to have a half-dozen new glitches to exploit, enshrining the old ones seems counter-intuitive. (Plus, beating levels by repeatedly grabbing a bucket is boring.  :P )

To be fair, some of them are good.  TF2 wouldn't be the same without the spy disguise kit, or Minecraft without minecart boosters.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2011, 02:41:03 am »

I'll just wait until it sinks 10-20 bucks.
Hello Hunam

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2011, 03:33:52 pm »

Portal 2 is out in just a couple weeks.

Y'all who preordered got co-op partners yet?  I've got one, but it might be useful to find someone else you want to play with.  This doesn't really seem like it fits the "random internet player" kind of co-op experience.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18