Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Author Topic: The Portal 2 ARG, potatoes, Valve time, no spoilers. Pretty much outdated now.  (Read 12994 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: Portal 2 is now available for pre-order
« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2011, 04:34:52 pm »

If that exact deal occurred without the Portal 2 ARG, would you still buy the pack?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if over half of the people would have.
Eh?
Eh!

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2011, 04:38:45 pm »

I bought it around the time it was announced because it had the games I listed above.(Actually Rush was an added bonus, I like that one)
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2011, 04:41:12 pm »

That is a possibility. At least the ARGs are fun to follow.
(emphasis added)

Seriously, these things have drama (the good kind), storytelling, mass confusion, and the joy of taking part of something just for the sheer hell of it.  Maybe you're not impressed, and that's fine, but saying "ARGs are stupid and pointless, they are a lot of work and didn't change anything" is kind of like saying "Geocaching is stupid and pointless, I could just go for a walk and not have to screw around in the bushes looking for something".

I like them.  :|

(Also I do get to play a day early, because hell if I'm going to skip work on Tuesday to play Portal.  Even if a lot of people probably will.)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 18, 2011, 04:44:02 pm »

That is a possibility. At least the ARGs are fun to follow.
(emphasis added)

Seriously, these things have drama (the good kind), storytelling, mass confusion, and the joy of taking part of something just for the sheer hell of it.  Maybe you're not impressed, and that's fine, but saying "ARGs are stupid and pointless, they are a lot of work and didn't change anything" is kind of like saying "Geocaching is stupid and pointless, I could just go for a walk and not have to screw around in the bushes looking for something".

I like them.  :|

(Also I do get to play a day early, because hell if I'm going to skip work on Tuesday to play Portal.  Even if a lot of people probably will.)

Or even better: Videogames are stupid and pointless, I could just go fight in Iraq

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2011, 04:45:32 pm »

For those people who wanted several of the games in the pack and bought it for less than they would have otherwise, more power to them (remembering of course, that each of those devs took a smaller cut as well: they split the sale price with Valve).

Personally I'd have bought The Ball strait from the developer (or at least paid them) for the Valve price of $10 so they got the full thing (seeing as I'd already beaten the game).  But I was unable.

Most indies I've heard talk about Steam are pretty happy with the value Steam gives them: sure they have to pay a cut to Valve /but/ Valve also promotes their work on a network with over 3 million people online at any given time. It increases their visibility by far, especially for the games in the Potato Sack

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2011, 04:47:08 pm »

Or even better: Videogames are stupid and pointless, I could just go fight in Iraq
For the record, I recall stories of there being people who have actually done this.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2011, 04:51:43 pm »

For those people who wanted several of the games in the pack and bought it for less than they would have otherwise, more power to them (remembering of course, that each of those devs took a smaller cut as well: they split the sale price with Valve).

Personally I'd have bought The Ball strait from the developer (or at least paid them) for the Valve price of $10 so they got the full thing (seeing as I'd already beaten the game).  But I was unable.
Yes, but they had 0 cost in selling those copies and they sold oh so much more copies than they would otherwise, returning way more money than when they were selling for 10 bucks.

Everyone wins.

(Except people that didn't want the games and bought because they're tools.)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #217 on: April 18, 2011, 05:51:36 pm »

Even so, you didn't save money, you spent money. You did not spend as much as you would have, but this is a mentality that marketing departments love. Saying "Well I saved 5 dollars over what I would have paid!" just makes you feel good about the money you did spend. If you would have actually bought the games for their non-sale price, you would have done so already. If you would not have bought them at that price, you didn't save money; you simply waited until the price was acceptable to you.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 18, 2011, 05:55:38 pm »

The Ball just finished.  Release is now scheduled for ~11 PM tonight, PST.

I could imagine Super Meat Boy finishing; dunno which one is supposed to be "next".  Either way, it'll be released right around the time I get home from work.  o/

NO IN-GAME DISCUSSION OR SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD, or it'll just get lost.  Follow the standard rule of "it is acceptable to make a new thread once the game comes out".
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #219 on: April 18, 2011, 06:03:53 pm »

Agreed, please no spoilers here. I won't even be able to play for a while, and want to experience it without any accidental spoilers or offhand comments.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 18, 2011, 06:07:56 pm »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 18, 2011, 07:31:08 pm »

The Ball just finished.  Release is now scheduled for ~11 PM tonight, PST.

I could imagine Super Meat Boy finishing; dunno which one is supposed to be "next".

http://valvearg.redpointsoftware.com.au/arg_status.txt

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 18, 2011, 07:36:50 pm »

The potatoes are counting down. Is that good?
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 18, 2011, 07:42:05 pm »

The potatoes are counting down. Is that good?

Yes, they're giving the per-game progress bars a x2 boost.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 18, 2011, 07:43:29 pm »

http://valvearg.redpointsoftware.com.au/arg_status.txt
Hehe I saw df on that list and was like "dwarf fortress, what?" Then I remembered what we were talking about.

Also, I'm not sure if the potatoes are giving a 2x boost or a "we're finishing them all by midnight EST" boost. I kind of want everyone to stop playing everything and just watch to see if the bars keep going up. The Internet is starting to make me a bit jaded :P
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18