Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: The Portal 2 ARG, potatoes, Valve time, no spoilers. Pretty much outdated now.  (Read 12998 times)

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
Re: Portal 2 is now available for pre-order
« Reply #195 on: April 18, 2011, 02:47:49 pm »

The potato pack has amnesia, audiosurf, rush, the ball, super meat boy, and killing floor.  You got your money's worth, stop complaining.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 18, 2011, 02:52:02 pm »

By all accounts, even if the game is unlocked right now, can you call 12 hours an "early release?" Come on, Kotaku. This is a launch countdown, not an early release. It never was an early release.
It's 12 hours earlier, isn't it?

I mean, if people are butthurt over it, that's their fault. 12 hours earlier is better than 0 hours earlier. If they spent monies thinking they would get this released ASAP, well, Valve got your monies.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 18, 2011, 02:57:29 pm »

I will go so far as to say any single person who bought even one of these games just to get Portal 2 a bit earlier is a complete tool. If you didn't want the games, you shouldn't have bought them, it's really really really simple.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 18, 2011, 03:02:25 pm »

Well this is interesting. [rumor]Apparently the people who got a golden potato will get the Valve Complete Pack.

Yeah I'm freaking jelly.[/rumor]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:16:17 pm by Pyrate »
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 18, 2011, 03:09:56 pm »

Well this is interesting. Apparently the people who got a golden potato will get the Valve Complete Pack.

Yeah I'm freaking jelly.

That's a silly and somewhat absurd theory posted on a random Reddit, I doubt Valve are going to give all that shit to thousands of people

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 18, 2011, 03:16:33 pm »

Added rumor tags just because.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 18, 2011, 03:28:18 pm »

"We're not getting what we paid for when we bought these games we didn't want!" crowd (that seems like the comment you posted Draco)

I bought the potato pack?  Where?

*Looks around for it*

BUY GAMES.  $38!  MOAR ACHIEVEMENTS.  GET PORTAIL FASTER.  SPEND MONEY.

Lololololololol.  Marking ploy.  Nothing to see here, move along folks.

I'm pretty sure I did not fall into that trap. :|
The only game I bought was The Ball, because I pirated it, found it to be good, and paid for it.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 18, 2011, 03:35:13 pm »

I meant the comment you reposted from kotaku, not the ones you specifically were making. Sorry if that wasn't clear. Although I guess they didn't specifically say they bought it, I just have a hard time believing anyone could be bitter about this if they invested no time or money beyond what they would have normally.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 18, 2011, 03:37:50 pm »

Well, I'm not saying you fell for it.

I'm saying they're releasing earlier (even if by a minimal amount) and that they did mention playing those games would release portal 2 earlier. Which makes that comment very douchy.

It's still a neat marketing plot and does, very very minimally so, what it promised.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 18, 2011, 03:44:49 pm »

My point is, if half the number of people who are intentionally trying to complete the bars were doing so then the time reductions would simply be twice as large and half as often.

The "default boot" might be 12 hours after the "actual boot" time, but that doesn't mean that the "actual boot" time wasn't pre-determined ahead of time (i.e. it doesn't matter what the community did, we'd have gotten Portal 2 at the same time).

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 18, 2011, 04:02:09 pm »

That is a possibility. At least the ARGs are fun to follow.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 18, 2011, 04:06:11 pm »

Also, because you know, Saving a ton of money is a bad thing. We all know that.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #207 on: April 18, 2011, 04:08:02 pm »

Also, because you know, Saving a ton of money is a bad thing. We all know that.
Nobody saved a ton of money here. The entire thing was a marketing ploy to make you spend money.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 18, 2011, 04:09:12 pm »

Uh, I saved money. Mainly because I actually wanted what I bought, but I guess that's weird?
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 18, 2011, 04:11:47 pm »

For those people who wanted several of the games in the pack and bought it for less than they would have otherwise, more power to them (remembering of course, that each of those devs took a smaller cut as well: they split the sale price with Valve).

Personally I'd have bought The Ball strait from the developer (or at least paid them) for the Valve price of $10 so they got the full thing (seeing as I'd already beaten the game).  But I was unable.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18