Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The FPS perfected  (Read 3182 times)

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
Re: The FPS perfected
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 11:59:06 pm »

How are L4D and Crysis different?  Haven't played L4D or L4D2 in a while, but I'm pretty sure it was all floating-camera style.  A quick youtube of Crysis shows me the same thing.

I don't play FPSes very much, but the only one I can think of that actually shows your legs when you look down is Halo, and that still has the no-arms thing.

the only part of crysis you dont see is your head

you should play a game before judging it

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 01:19:29 am »

How are L4D and Crysis different?  Haven't played L4D or L4D2 in a while, but I'm pretty sure it was all floating-camera style.  A quick youtube of Crysis shows me the same thing.

I don't play FPSes very much, but the only one I can think of that actually shows your legs when you look down is Halo, and that still has the no-arms thing.

Actually Halo didn't show anything.  All it's sequels did though.

And of course there's the previously barely mentioned Trespasser which showed you your character's enormous breasts when you looked down.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 09:53:00 am »

count your self lucky In Ghost recon you dont even get arms, or a gun model. Just a screen with a crosshair
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 10:05:03 am »

count your self lucky In Ghost recon you dont even get arms, or a gun model. Just a screen with a crosshair

Right, exactly the reason I hated Duck Hunt, man that was god awful

But seriously, the Onion rocks, and they have a point...FPS are much more about shooting people in the face than epic story telling, in my limited experience anyway..I like atmospheric shooters like Stalker and fear, but I only played the first of both, and neither had epic stories, even though Stalker was excellent

Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 02:35:49 pm »

Freedom Fighters has always been the top shooter for me.

I played that! I thought it was third-person though. If you see things from the perspective of just over your shoulder that's not exactly first-person. More like third-person shouldercam. Did it have a first-person mode where you could still see your body parts?

Side note: just wait you guys there will be a FPS that comes out where your character blinks all the time and you have to hold a button to keep him from blinking, but if you do that he gets dust in his eyes and they start to water. And his mom keeps sending email asking if he's doing okay and if he got the care package and her letters get more desperate over time if he doesn't answer. And you have to poop sometimes. And you get EXP for pooping because it's good roleplaying. Urination: the new teabagging. Mid-Urination Wangshot: the new headshot.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 02:39:16 pm »

Right, exactly the reason I hated Duck Hunt, man that was god awful

But seriously, the Onion rocks, and they have a point...FPS are much more about shooting people in the face than epic story telling, in my limited experience anyway..I like atmospheric shooters like Stalker and fear, but I only played the first of both, and neither had epic stories, even though Stalker was excellent

I find this in itself to be debatable.

The more popular FPS do have encompassing story lines aling with their rooms with boxes gameplay.

Marathon, Half-Life, Halo, Gears of War, Call of Duty and Medal of Honor, as examples off the top of my head have stories. I would say a fair amount of them are pretty decent. (Though I'm not much of a fun for GoW series storyline or gameplay.)
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 02:40:49 pm »

I watched the video and all I kept thinking about was if the game were real would they use particles or 3D objects for the chunks that blow off of someone's head. And at the end I realized they intended the video to be so gory and disgusting that people wouldn't be able to watch. Guess the joke's on them, they underestimate how violent our video games really are.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 02:42:47 pm »

Nobody mentioned Mirror's Edge which probably simulated the first person perspective better than anything I've seen before.

I'm hoping that one day we'll be able to play a FPS that actually uses real physics on your body.  Imagine running down a hill too fast and tripping on a rock, only to tumble over and over to the bottom, exposing yourself to the enemy.  Or maybe, you could try climbing a ladder, only to slip and stumble or even fall to your death.  RP stats like strength, constitution and dexterity would actually mean something in games like this and would be used as modifiers in your chances of falling, or tripping, or even getting tired.

Things like that would be awesome.  Besides just running and gunning as you do now, you'd have to take into account dangerous terrain and other factors when assaulting your enemy.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:44:51 pm by GaelicVigil »

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 02:47:57 pm »

Nobody mentioned Mirror's Edge which probably simulated the first person perspective better than anything I've seen before.

I'm hoping that one day we'll be able to play a FPS that actually uses real physics on your body.  Imagine running down a hill too fast and tripping on a rock, only to tumble over and over to the bottom, exposing yourself to the enemy.

So a FPS Cortex Command?
"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 03:17:16 pm »

I'm hoping that one day we'll be able to play a FPS that actually uses real physics on your body.  Imagine running down a hill too fast and tripping on a rock, only to tumble over and over to the bottom, exposing yourself to the enemy.

So a FPS Cortex Command?

Yep, good comparison.

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 03:23:47 pm »

Imagine the flying torso robots.
"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

Samio

• Bay Watcher
  • ˙uǝʌǝ ʇ,uop ı sıɥʇ sı ʇɐɥʍ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 03:31:16 pm »

You know what's always bugged me about FPSes?  That you can look down and see only ground ever, and you can only see like half your forearm, if that.

It makes me feel like I'm playing as a floating camera with arms attached, and it never stops bothering me.

Could be worse.  You could be forced to look at a tattoo on your chest to see your health.

Icwutudidthere :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 07:57:17 pm »

I watched the video and all I kept thinking about was if the game were real would they use particles or 3D objects for the chunks that blow off of someone's head. And at the end I realized they intended the video to be so gory and disgusting that people wouldn't be able to watch.
What gave you that impression? It's fairly standard Onion video format.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 08:09:20 pm »

Side note: just wait you guys there will be a FPS that comes out where your character blinks all the time and you have to hold a button to keep him from blinking

Don't blink! Don't even blink! Blink and you're dead! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH0R01gP3m0
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2011, 08:22:46 pm »

Side note: just wait you guys there will be a FPS that comes out where your character blinks all the time and you have to hold a button to keep him from blinking

Don't blink! Don't even blink! Blink and you're dead! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH0R01gP3m0

Gah, thanks for bringing back my nightmares.
"My Little Space Marine"
Pages: 1 [2] 3