Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Orbiter (free space flight simulator)  (Read 49973 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orbiter (free space flight simulator)
« Reply #120 on: June 14, 2011, 08:26:59 pm »

Love hearing about successful flights almost as much as doing them myself.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2011, 10:52:46 pm »

The sim is so much fun that i too like reading the debrief of other people flights, often watching some of the video from Orbiter, there are some very good ones there like this really well done one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrbvM5HuQRE

Anyways, i attempted a flight from Cape Canaveral to orbit, then to Wideawake Island, but this time instead of flying in a random direction after taking off from KCS, orienting myself to Wideawake Island.

This way i would have much less corrections to do when using the Base Sync MFD and get an orbit aligned with , sparring also lot of fuel.

As my first orbit went already over Widewake, i decided to synchronise my 2nd orbit with the island base.
This way it would allow me to actually get a re-entry during the day.

I managed to save much more fuel than i thought, so i dropped a lot in orbit until i had around 30% left, getting light enough to not fall like a brick.

And finally the re-entry, i spare you the first part of it and the atmosphere contact, as my previous post / flight dealt with this, so let's go to Wideawake approach

Visual contact with the island, we're not there yet, but we're approaching rather quickly enough

A better view, we can see the base and airfield from there

There as i was watching the altitude and airspeed dropping, i became a bit anxious, i was not sure i was really doing good and was fearing that i was too slow and falling too quickly.
After flight, i think the XR-2 was flying good there, i just overreacted.
So i relaunched the main engine instead of continuing my gliding approach

Flying over Ascension island, we can see the Wideawake international buildings and their airfields, it's there i think i realised i was not doing bad and could have continued with gliding.
And good i had kept 30% fuel left for cases like these.

After getting some distance, and manoeuvring, i align my XR-2 with the airfield, i plan to land on the one the most to the right of the base.
I don't need my main engine there, i'll be gliding for this final approach.

Nearly forgot to pull the gear down, but we're ready to land on this one, correct alignment and good airspeed despite we have shtudown the main engine previously.

And we're landed and everyone is alive ! ... wait a minute what's going on !

Now my friends learn the lesson of the day, when you're landing a space vessel on the ground, avoid taking screenshot without pausing the action first.
While taking a few screenshots of the approach just before the land contact, i accidentally forgot to press my fly up key to balance my ship and after noticing my mistake quickly by pressing the fly up key like crazy.
Managed to re-align at the last second, but hit the ground a little too hard for the gear supports, at least everyone survived, it's just the gears that didn't :D

A "nearly" safe landing, thank you for flying with us, we hope you'll use again our company, we promise we'll not be taking screenshots at the bad time in future flight :D

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 14, 2011, 11:47:44 pm »

Soon, I will have a new computer and this will be one of the first things I re-install.  I need to get acquainted with everything again.

When I come in from orbital landing I almost always get concerned that I am going to overshoot or undershoot.  It goes to show that even though you are not there in the cockpit of an actual spacecraft (feeling the forces, etc.) there are certain visual cues which can be very deceiving.  And that is why they say to always trust your instruments.

Also--and I am sure you know this, Robsoie, given your Orbiter expertise--you should take screens from the replay.  Nice, collapsed-flight-gear-free, screens :)  Oh, man, I've collapsed so many gears.

PolliMatrix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 20, 2011, 04:41:19 am »

I found Orbiter some time before the 2010 version was released. At that time I was looking for a space flight simulator with more realistic physics and Orbiter was the best thing I could find for free.
I haven't played it a lot, but seeing all the mods I'd like to create my own spaceship, especially since I'm more into modding than actually playing. After reading about "dwarven spaceships" and finding this thread I've been thinking about making a not-totally-realistic dwarf-themed mod (including hyperbooze thrusters and of course a really tempting self-destruct button/lever). I'll post more about this in the general DF subforum.

edit: here's the tread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87205.0

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 20, 2011, 04:55:08 am »

If you need help on the programming side, I'm in.

PolliMatrix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 20, 2011, 05:29:00 am »

If you need help on the programming side, I'm in.
Thanks, but I'll try to do the programming myself at first. If I need help with something, I'll post that in my thread.
Anyone else who wants to help or has any ideas, please post there. Right now, I need someone who can make 3D models for the spaceship.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 20, 2011, 05:31:11 am »

May I direct you to the creative projects forum?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 20, 2011, 07:05:03 am »

Oh, I can do 3d models too, if you give me a design. Only problem is that I already do quite enough 3d models at work.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 20, 2011, 09:44:38 am »

Looks like a very fun project, especially if it comes with hyperbooze thrusters.

Will be perfect to fly this to the Papy's bar space station

PolliMatrix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2011, 02:47:48 pm »

Oh, I can do 3d models too, if you give me a design. Only problem is that I already do quite enough 3d models at work.
It would be great if you could create a Blender model that can be converted to an Orbiter mesh!
I've uploaded a rough sketch of the rocket here:

Models for separated command/reentry modules and rockets would be nice, but aren't necessary right now.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 20, 2011, 06:46:31 pm »

I have projects to work on , so i will not be able to contribute more than this, but i gave a try to modelling a rough shape according to your blueprint so if it can help anyone wanting to build the shuttle over it in Blender , blend file for 2.49b and 2.57b version of blender :

http://www.sendspace.com/file/u2ehpe

You can open directly a 2.49b file in 2.57b but it will create several annoying problems (especially with the sculpt mode in which most sculpt tools will disappear but maybe in other areas too), to prevent problem you must "append" 2.49b files to 2.57b instead of loading them directly.

While i build the model in 2.49b (as it is my prefered version of Blender), i appended it in 2.57b and save it there, so you can have bug free 2.49b and 2.57b version of the file in the download

There are 2 models, each in a different layer, in the 1st layer the simple basic low poly model i built trying to follow the dimensions requested by the blueprint and in the 2nd layer the same model for which i added a subdivision surface (subsurf) and edge split modifier.

preview :

Cyahnidde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 20, 2011, 07:58:35 pm »

Hmmmm...I love flight simulators a lot. This sounds awesome!

PolliMatrix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 21, 2011, 05:25:48 am »

Thank you, Robsoie! Your model looks good, I'll try to export it to an Orbiter mesh file later.
In case Orbiter or the export plugin don't support modifiers: Is there a way to make the large barrel and top cone look a bit more rounded and less angular without the modifiers?
Either way, if I can export it, it will be good enough for the basics like placing the thrusters. So, thanks again!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 21, 2011, 06:16:07 am »

For the version with the modifier, just apply them (the "Apply" button for each of them) and it will be like a normal model and should have no problem with an export script.

For the angularity, the low poly model is in "solid" display mode, just set it to "smooth" display mode and add an edge split modifier with "Edge/Angle" disabled so it only sharpen the edges i marked as sharp on the model (then apply the modifier to make the model ready for export)

To convert the blend into a msh for Orbiter , you have that page that link to the Blender export/import msh scripts in that bottom of the page :

http://www.orbiterwiki.org/wiki/Converting_to_msh

I updated slightly the model to test an idea regarding the rounding :
http://www.sendspace.com/file/hs3mks

1st layer low poly version
2nd layer low poly version "smooth" with an Edge Split modifier
3rd layer, low poly version "smooth" with Subsurf and Edge Split modifier and edited a bit (subsurf usually "thining" models a bit, breaking a bit the wanted dimensions )

Remember to apply the modifiers of the model you want to use before export.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 06:30:21 am by Robsoie »

PolliMatrix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 21, 2011, 05:58:22 pm »

All right, after applying the modifiers and adding a simple material I managed to export a usable high-polygon mesh based on the new model. The Blender 2.5 export script found on the OrbiterWiki worked without problems.
Now I can actually get to programming, starting with basic things like thrusters and the pilot's view camera.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12