Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Orbiter (free space flight simulator)  (Read 49969 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Orbiter (free space flight simulator)
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2011, 01:21:53 am »

Lvl 13 would be fine with me. But I want it consistent.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2011, 03:40:08 am »

15 would be better though :P

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2011, 05:06:27 pm »

I went through your tutorial, Robsoie.  It worked really well and I was able to get to the target within several kilometers, however, I wasn't spot on and since it was night I was kinda lost as to how to leave the descent and navigate to Ascension Island.  Before I could get my bearings and hit the engines, I was too low and falling too quickly.  Crashed into the ocean.

One question.  Do you recommend doing the retro burn on the final, and closest, orbit?  When exactly to do the burn wasn't clear to me, though it only really makes sense to do it on the closest orbit.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2011, 07:22:02 pm »

Don't worry, it's just a matter of practice, i dropped many, many shuttles in the ocean, when they were not overshooting too much and ran out of fuel before managing to come back ;)

The retrograde burn occurs indeed in the orbit that you worked to be the closest to your target.
In the MFD it should happen in the opposite side of the world in comparison to the target to be safe

You can try closer to the target if you want, but the closer you're going to be from your targetted base, the more you're increasing the chances you're going to fall like a brick and/or burn horribly in the atmosphere.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2011, 12:20:46 am »

Very good.  That's what I thought but I wanted to make sure.  Nice diagram, by the way.  Well, I'm going to give it another go.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2011, 10:24:36 pm »

What are your add-ons that you think is a must have in every orbiter install (Apart from orbiter sound of course)?
I for example think the delta-glider IV, UCGO and the XR series are a must for every fresh orbiter install.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2011, 11:31:17 pm »

I always install Sound, high level textures, UMMU, XR Vessels, UCGO. Probably the UCGO containers for the XR2 and 5 too

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2011, 12:39:57 am »

There are UCGO for the XR series? I must have not noticed them, I will look for them now.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2011, 01:33:28 am »

Awesome, thanks.

I wonder when will the XR2 mk2 come out?  I can't wait for it's virtual cockpit.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2011, 10:39:10 am »

I wonder too, the mesh looks so good and a functional VC will make it the best vessel in Orbter

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2011, 12:30:40 pm »

Wish someone would make a version of Orbiter that was a little more "game" and a little less "simulator".  It seems we only get the two extremes in the space exploration genre.  I'd love to land on Mars in Orbiter, run outside and start exploring like a TES game or something, and discover an alien or two.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2011, 02:52:35 pm »

Wish someone would make a version of Orbiter that was a little more "game" and a little less "simulator".  It seems we only get the two extremes in the space exploration genre.  I'd love to land on Mars in Orbiter, run outside and start exploring like a TES game or something, and discover an alien or two.
Have you tried the Elite series?
If that's not satisfying enough, then I suppose you'll have to wait for Infinity(meaning the upcoming MMO game, not the waiting time).

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2011, 05:02:20 pm »

Have you tried the Elite series?
If that's not satisfying enough, then I suppose you'll have to wait for Infinity(meaning the upcoming MMO game, not the waiting time).
Isn't that the ASCII game with no regards to physics, looks cool but I would class that as pure game.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2011, 05:21:26 pm »

Don't know which one you mean, as neither Elite, nor Infinity fit your description.
Only the first installment of Elite had arcade "physics". Elite II: Frontier, and Frontier: First Encounters have both newtonian physics flight model(however simplified). No ascii graphics - only vector-based 3d objects.
Similarly with Infinity. The game is still long way from being released, but the combat model is downloadable from it's website.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12