Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do ambushes happen?  (Read 2221 times)

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
Re: How do ambushes happen?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 02:35:42 pm »

I just had my first ever siege with 5,000,000 wealth and 113 dwarves.  I only have 38 active in the military, all with full steel armour (no leather because I don't have enough... come on next dwarven caravan!).  It was barely 20 goblins all with spears or maces.  My 6 marksdwarves (from novice to legendary) dispatched 4 of them, with wood bolts before they hit my main lines and my 32 meleedwarves (and 40+ war animals) devestated them costing me 2 war dogs.  During the fight, one of my war dogs gave birth.  Who needs danger rooms?  (all my war animals are assigned to my marksdwarves as they're the least well off, skills wise).

war animals are all dogs except 3 leopards, 1 giant leopard and 2 giant eagles.
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 03:04:33 pm »

It has goblins with the red dashes, but it lacks the goblins in the Civ screen... Odd...
If I remember right, I actually didn't have any except my home civ, an ant man civ and an olm man civ there until I got the first caravans from the humans and those pointy-eared folks.
Wait... Why have I not gotten any caravans from the other elven civ whose area my fort is in? It is located on top of an area, ahich belongs to "The Problematic Volcano" AND "The Labyrinthine Embraces", but I haven't gotten any caravans from "The Embraces". Also, according to legends, my civ is not at war with any elves, so that can't be the answer.
Or is it so that I can only get caravans from one elven civ per year?

You won't see them on the Civ screen until they've appeared at least once on your map. Have you had any Goblin Snatchers? Which version did you generate your world in? There was a bugged version a while back 0.31.14 or something like that which completely broke hostiles for any world generated using it.
Have you had any Kobold Thieves yet?

You can only get one Elven caravan during Spring as far as I know with default raws (could be wrong). I wonder if you have 2 civ's of 1 race within trading distance & pissed off one, would you get a caravan from the other one & ambushes/sieges from the first?

I just had my first ever siege with 5,000,000 wealth and 113 dwarves.
Keep killing them & they'll bring more squads per siege & eventually come riding Beak Dogs & bring Trolls with them. I'm guessing your created wealth was rising steadily when you had less than 80 population & the next migration wave took it close to that number plus some births.
Also your exported wealth might make them more angry (can't remember if it affects both sieges or just ambushes) so if you want more goblins to play with buy everything you can use from the 3 caravans & send them off with a good profit.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 03:09:04 pm by Malibu Stacey »
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 03:08:39 pm »

It is also possible to get kobold ambushes, but they have to steal a lot of stuff for that to happen.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 03:11:48 pm »

It is also possible to get kobold ambushes, but they have to steal a lot of stuff for that to happen.

They have [TRAPAVOID] so if you want to encourage them simply build a honeypot outside your main fortress where you dump high value stuff for them to steal protected by traps so any animals which also try to steal it get caged or slaughtered.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 03:47:02 pm »

My ambushes sometimes get spotted when on edge of the map, sometimes closer to the entrance of my fortress. They are usually spotted by wandering cats, that shortly afterward get shot.

Sompe people put sentries around the map to give them early warnings. Depending on setup this can be safe or deadly for those sentries.

And if you use kittens, no one will care. Except the kittens, of course.

They spawn at the edge of the map invisible and move towards your fortress/innocent fishers. From what I've gathered, they remain invisible if they are dodging/blocking a trap but are found if they caught in/hit by a trap. Whether they remain invisible may or may not be trued, but I've had the leader of an ambush trigger the ambush after walking into a cage trap past my 6 other weapon traps.

If I'm not mistaken, if you dig to the edge of the map underground ambushes will spawn there too.

According to my experience they only get revealed if they are killed by the weapon trap(s),
not if they are just wounded (although limbs that are chopped off by the trap will get revealed).
I once noticed a blood trail developing on my bridge directly behind my weapons traps.

The goblin to which the blood belonged never got visible however,
nor did I find his corpse...
I assume after getting wounded by the traps he succeeded in fleeing from the map

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 04:29:35 pm »

Ambushers will not be revealed if they step on a pressure plate, although if they don't have TRAPAVOID they will trigger the plate.  I've seen automated pressure plate triggered traps activate for no apparent reason, followed by goblin corpses suddenly appearing in the drowning chamber or at the bottom of a slaughter pit.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 12:27:03 am »

It has goblins with the red dashes, but it lacks the goblins in the Civ screen... Odd...
If I remember right, I actually didn't have any except my home civ, an ant man civ and an olm man civ there until I got the first caravans from the humans and those pointy-eared folks.
Wait... Why have I not gotten any caravans from the other elven civ whose area my fort is in? It is located on top of an area, ahich belongs to "The Problematic Volcano" AND "The Labyrinthine Embraces", but I haven't gotten any caravans from "The Embraces". Also, according to legends, my civ is not at war with any elves, so that can't be the answer.
Or is it so that I can only get caravans from one elven civ per year?

You won't see them on the Civ screen until they've appeared at least once on your map. Have you had any Goblin Snatchers? Which version did you generate your world in? There was a bugged version a while back 0.31.14 or something like that which completely broke hostiles for any world generated using it.
Have you had any Kobold Thieves yet?

No thieves yet either. Ill check the version when I can.

Edited: Apparently I DO have v. 0.31.14. If I upgrade to 0.31.16 (or whatever the newest one is) will I be able to keep my saves?

Re-Edited: I upgraded to 0.31.18, and the saves can still be accessed. Thanks to everyone for pointing that (outdated version) out! The only thing Im not certain of is: with an old save, will I be getting any visitors now?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:43:08 am by Oliolli »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 09:17:09 am »

Or in my case, they just steal the most valuable artifact in my fort. Gits.

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 01:24:30 pm »

Keep killing them & they'll bring more squads per siege & eventually come riding Beak Dogs & bring Trolls with them. I'm guessing your created wealth was rising steadily when you had less than 80 population & the next migration wave took it close to that number plus some births.
Also your exported wealth might make them more angry (can't remember if it affects both sieges or just ambushes) so if you want more goblins to play with buy everything you can use from the 3 caravans & send them off with a good profit.

In year 2 I got waves of 23, 11, 14.  In year three I got waves of 10+, 10+, 20~.

My wealth has been going up fairly evenly.
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2011, 10:17:01 am »

Population 216.
Created wealth ~5 000 000 Urists
Imported wealth ~83 000 Urists
Exported wealth ~22 000 Urists

And I finally got some thieves!

Glaygin, "Glaygin, Kobold
Exports to Zuntirestil: Petty Annoyance
Offerings from Zuntirestil: Death

Although I never noticed any report  ???

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 [2]