Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HALP! A dark creature called low FPS is assaulting my fortress!  (Read 1136 times)

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HALP! A dark creature called low FPS is assaulting my fortress!
« on: February 14, 2011, 05:19:01 pm »

Ok, so, my fort has taken a LONG dive in FPS. I dono why anymore.

I have lots of items from clothing industry. I traded most of them away, no noticeable difference.

Tried doing pathing. This did nothing.

refuse to touch temperature, may wish to use lava.

So heres my cry for HALP GAIS. Thanks in advanced! =D

edit: Pop is 115.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: HALP! A dark creature called low FPS is assaulting my fortress!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 05:25:56 pm »

How good is your computer, how large is your embark, how many pets are loose (uncaged, chained pets are considered loose) and have you breached HFS or created enormous plumbing works?

Also: Temperature can be re-activated at any time, so you may want to try that simply for trying's sake?

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 05:32:42 pm »

Alls I know is my computer is an alienware. I am mass butchering dogs now as we speak, my emark I think is 1x1 or 2x2 larger then normal. I have breached caverns, but not any clowns. cavern access is currently covered up by a floor tile.

Edit: Currently sluaghtering 50-80ish dogs, a majority of them are puppies.

I thought I'd of had cat problems
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 05:37:53 pm by Angel-of-Dusk »

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 05:41:15 pm »

Ever since rendering my dwarves nude, I haven't had any problems with fps - I have this personal suspicion that dwarves constantly running the 'find more clothes' check causes a lot of fps loss in more matured forts once everyone's clothing is tattered.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 05:43:51 pm »

my emark I think is 1x1 or 2x2 larger then normal.
Can you be more specific? "Normal" in DF2010 is 4x4, but it was 6x6 back in 40d and some people have set it to that out of habit. And that's not even getting into the people who have set it to something completely different for whatever reason.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 05:46:48 pm »

Ever since rendering my dwarves nude, I haven't had any problems with fps - I have this personal suspicion that dwarves constantly running the 'find more clothes' check causes a lot of fps loss in more matured forts once everyone's clothing is tattered.

I have about 6000 robes, though I gave away about 1000ish earlier to no avail.

my emark I think is 1x1 or 2x2 larger then normal.
Can you be more specific? "Normal" in DF2010 is 4x4, but it was 6x6 back in 40d and some people have set it to that out of habit. And that's not even getting into the people who have set it to something completely different for whatever reason.

I play this game awefully vanilla, beyond a graphics pack. I would suspect 4x4, unless a graphic pack changes that. I use Mayday.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 05:51:52 pm »

Graphics pack does not change embark size, at least not Mayday's (I use it too).  An embark square is 48x48, so a 3x3 embark is 144x144 surface area.  Try and guess at your embark size according to this.  Larger embarks slow down computers by surprising amounts, so much so that a 2x2 embark can sustain significantly higher FPS than a 3x3 even with more stuff happening.  I try and go with 3x3 or 3x4 embarks myself.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 05:53:32 pm »

Im probably a 6x6. Am I screwed?
If I am, Im gonna kick this pig before I... Not sure where im going with this

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 05:59:58 pm »

Alright. Time to kill this fort with graitious ammounts of magma.

Time to burn this pig!

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 06:08:33 pm »

Follow up:

Was too lazy to do anything dwarfy. Too slow.

So I just used Dfhack to drop an entire sky of lava on my dwarves. Multiple times.

Apperently I had alot of infants. Oops

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 06:11:31 pm »

6x6 is fairly huge.  5x5 was dragging me down quite a bit.  Stone also lags a lot.  I recently dug out an entire Z level as part of my cavern brick-drop project, and it lowered my FPS from ~75 to ~50

fervor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 06:13:44 pm »

In my experience, embark size and world size can have a surprising huge impact on framerates.  Temperature also has a huge impact, so if you're having problems, turn it off and turn it back on when you want to play with magma.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 06:22:34 pm »

Final Log, Urist McMayor

This will be my final message I write in stone in a sealed room. Lately, the fortress has began to slow. We had such great harvests, and such a bountiful trade the past few months!

But, aye, things changed today. We angered something. Someone. Armok maybe? The slowing of the fortress was just a start, as our fields stopped producing anything at all, going from so fertile to barren so fast, its like... Magic.

The elves came and traded with us, we thought it might be them causing us the harm. So we gave them free products, by the thousands even; we hoped this would fix things.

We were wrong. Oh so wrong.

Thats when it happened. We walked out, children in our arms to embrace the new day with hope; so many new mothers this year, such a shame. Thats when we saw it. the skies darkened red, and then, in a blink of an eye... Magma. The sky, as far as the eye could see, was now a ceiling entirely of magma. As if to taunt us, this mad, mad diety broke the very laws of physics; the magma falling slowly, as if dripping down the edge of a wall. We looked up, and we shut the upper hatches. The religious began to say prayers, and others began to say things along the lines of "Thou art a cruel, and ANGRY god!", but nothings going to save us.

Fire sparks from the hatches, the magma is flowing down into here as I write this. We can hear it sloshing around above us, solidiying our moats, and removing the beauty of our fair river. we're trapped in here, destined to die a slow death, squeezed against a corner, hoping the magma won't come closer.

What did we do to deserve this? If only we hadn't of placed the booze stockpiles so close to the main stairway... We could of drank our selves to death. What a cruel fate, by a even crueler god.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:27:11 pm by Angel-of-Dusk »

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 06:58:42 pm »

I've noticed that when I release magma from a tall steep volcano and it runs down the side onto a glacier area with ice my FPS drops from 50 or so to 5 or less. Seems like magma+ice is a real FPS killer if the magma is on top of the ice. With magma below the ice (melting it) I didn't see any problems. Shutting off the flow of magma stops the FPS problem. Actually I'm not sure if the problem was the ice, or the magma spreading out and running down a steep hill....

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 09:50:52 pm »

I get cranky when my FPS drops below 100... I much prefer my setting of 150.