Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How deadly are carp in 2010?  (Read 690 times)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
How deadly are carp in 2010?
« on: February 14, 2011, 04:29:24 pm »

I'm trying to make a farm, but I notice that there are carp in the river. I know that carp have been nerfed in 2010, (Replaced by Sturgons *Shudder*. I've at least lost one adventurer to them) but I want to hear what you say.

And while your at it, do Goblins attack earlier when your civ is at war with the little buggers?
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: How deadly are carp in 2010?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 04:43:12 pm »

Goblins are always at war, at least for me, so I have no idea how to answer that.  Usually mid to late second year for ambushes, third year if I keep my created wealth low.

Carp do indeed appear to be nerfed, but are still large dangerous fish, so don't assume they're purring maggot level now.  I've had no trouble with them when doing anything, except for a few marksdwarves taking pot-shots and a certain overflowing river allowing my military to spear them.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 04:52:26 pm »

Carp do indeed appear to be nerfed, but are still large dangerous fish, so don't assume they're purring maggot level now.  I've had no trouble with them when doing anything, except for a few marksdwarves taking pot-shots and a certain overflowing river allowing my military to spear them.

Yes, yes I know. But I need to know how to create my farm now that I know the river has fish.

Goblins are always at war, at least for me, so I have no idea how to answer that.  Usually mid to late second year for ambushes, third year if I keep my created wealth low.

Well, I assume that the Goblins attacking must be tensions, because when I checked the contacts screen in clearly said in big red letter WAR! next to Goblins.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 05:55:35 pm »

Make your farm anyways, just have a floodgate to stop water flow. Then the little buggers will air drown once they are in low water levels.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 06:32:53 pm »

Yes, yes I know. But I need to know how to create my farm now that I know the river has fish.
Air-drown them. Easy, done, bye-bye.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 06:33:15 pm »

This is the simple, if paranoid way.
Code: [Select]
      --------------\~~~~--
     DfffffffHfffGwF/~~~~WW
     D_______________WWWWWW

Key
-- Surface \ ,  Ramp down /,   Ramp up,  ~  Water,  D  Door, f    Farm , H   Floor hatch
W  Wall, w   Wall grate, F   Fortification, G   Floodgate, _ Tunnel
  Looking at the diagram, the ramps up, and down are the effects of a channel. Channel only when the rest is built/dug.
Dig out the area for you farm, then dig through 3 spaces, being careful not to breach the wall holding back the water. Make 6 mechanisms, build 2 levers(hopefully in a enclosed area, to wall off later), a floodgate, a hatch, and a grate. Dig out area under the farm area, whose access is only the door, and floorhatch. This area is for drainage for the farm.
 Link a lever to the floodgate, then 1 to the hatch. When all of this is done, channel out the spot next to the river.
 Set up a temporary meeting area, near the two levers. When several dwarfs are goofing off there, pull the lever to the floodgate.(Warning: for this technique, the water will gush in . So keep an eye on it.Pause if it seems to much). When there  is a decent amount, least enough to cover the floor by a depth of 2,PAUSE , pull the lever to the floodgate, to close it. If you goofed up in your timing about how much water is needed, just pull the lever to the floorhatch to drain it.
 The fortification, and wall grate should keep out unwanted visitors.
 The preceeding 2 posts also are  good ideas for a fish trap, for food, leather, bones
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:35:35 pm by Fredd »
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration