Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Games with good quests  (Read 2567 times)

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
Games with good quests
« on: February 14, 2011, 07:10:11 am »

Hey guys, tis me again, and I'm in a questy mood.

I've recently been playing a lot of games on my ipod, and of these are zenonia 2 and inotia 2, both with terrible 'kill x monsters to get x items' quests.

I'm looking for games with quests (LOTS of quests, although not MMO) that are unique and well executed. IMO, my favourite questy game was runescape, as they were almost all very fun and unique to eachother, as well as having one hell of a lot of them.

Please don't suggest MMO's, or oblivion, as I can't run oblivion well at all, and MMO's require too much dedication.
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games with good quests
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 07:29:37 am »

Fallout New Venevermind!

You could always go with Morrowind, I suppose. There's a thread for it not far down here which mentions some mods (Okay, so it was on the third page).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:31:35 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 07:45:39 am »

ONLY if it doesn't have the horrible level-scaling thing oblivion has. I mean come on, it's a damned rat, why the hell should it be able to rip the shit out of you.
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 07:58:25 am »

ONLY if it doesn't have the horrible level-scaling thing oblivion has. I mean come on, it's a damned rat, why the hell should it be able to rip the shit out of you.

Uhm....lol? What the hell are you talking about? It seems like you read about the level-scaling and are talking about it without knowing how it really is.

The rats don't become stronger after you level up, they usually get replaced by something stronger. What would've been a Wolf at level 1 is now an Ogre, because you are level 10.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 08:30:44 am »

Fallout 2, I suppose. The quests are generally pretty unique, or at least those memorable are pretty open-ended and often involve picking a side in some conflict. I'd also say FO1, but I think that while memorable, there weren't that many and they didn't exactly leave you much choice most of the time. FO1 was the more atmospheric and consistent of the two, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L6UWk6-Hg8
"This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds." :\

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 09:26:19 am »

I am guessing you are looking for computer games? Lots of older consolers meet the criterion IMO.

For CPU I'd suggest the standards if you have not tried them yet:

Neverwinter nights 1 (sounds like 2 would be too much for your rig to handle) has some interesting quests
Baldur's Gate 1/2
Planscape Torment: has some badass quests
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 09:32:00 am by jnecros »
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 10:12:21 am »

With Morrowind and NWN1 you also have a vast library of mod quests you can download and run.

Morrowind doesn't use the level scaler with it's enemies, IIRC. I remember wandering into a burial tomb once, as a level 4 or 5 mage (after cleaning out a couple random towns), looting a couple things, and then turning a corner only to stumble into the tea party the Daedra Lord and his good friend the Golden Saint were having. Did not last long at all.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 10:14:41 am by creodor »
Free Game List

fish are drowning again ~Fourth Triad

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 10:19:48 am »

With Morrowind and NWN1 you also have a vast library of mod quests you can download and run.

Morrowind doesn't use the level scaler with it's enemies, IIRC. I remember wandering into a burial tomb once, as a level 4 or 5 mage (after cleaning out a couple random towns), looting a couple things, and then turning a corner only to stumble into the tea party the Daedra Lord and his good friend the Golden Saint were having. Did not last long at all.
That's why you keep a scroll of almsivi intervention around for when things get hairy.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 10:34:45 am »

Kings bounty: The legend is fun for questing goodness.  :)  There is at least one quest leading to getting a zombie wife!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 11:01:21 am »

Kings bounty: The legend is fun for questing goodness.  :)  There is at least one quest leading to getting a zombie wife!
thats hot XD

edit: i just checked the requirements for The Legend and i cried, damnit not all of us got 2.6 Ghz (i got 2.3), is the game multithreaded?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 11:04:12 am by Tellemurius »

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 11:25:02 am »

I suggest trying Gothic 2.  That game had some pretty awesome quests.

Oh, and Space Rangers 2 had a lot of diverse quests too.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 11:33:27 am »

thats hot XD

edit: i just checked the requirements for The Legend and i cried, damnit not all of us got 2.6 Ghz (i got 2.3), is the game multithreaded?

Not sure.  I'm surprised the requirements are so high, I don't remember it looking particularly amazing.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 11:44:08 am »

Quest for Glory 1 - 4, if you want some classic adventure game questing, rather than RPG questing.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 12:44:40 pm »

thats hot XD

Check the release date. Modern processors are generally faster then old processors with the same amount of GHz's (and GHz's are useless anyway, but nobody reports things in Mips or Flops). If your rig can run games from around the same date comfortably then you're probably good.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:46:49 pm by Virex »

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 12:45:44 pm »

Nice..quest for glory is really cool, just played them for the first time last year.

Space Quest, that's a fun series as well
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf
Pages: [1] 2