Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Am I Prepared? (*Spoilers*)  (Read 3519 times)

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Am I Prepared? (*Spoilers*)
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 06:27:55 pm »

My laptop is kind of lame and with 100 dwarves I think my FPS was normally maybe 40, and when I breached hell the fps dropped to near zero but only until the demons managed to path their way through all the twisty caverns and into the main lower entrance. After that the fps went up to something playable at which point I added all of my dwarves to military squads and had them zerg the demons. Every single dwarf was killed. The last guy to be killed was some incapacitated dwarf in the hospital who, as the last dwarf left, elected himself mayor before being killed about 30 seconds later when the demons finally found the hospital. It was fun!!! Hope he enjoyed his 30 seconds of incapacitated mayorship.

I think maybe the FPS problem has to do with them being able to fly and being in a very 3 dimensional area with complex pathfinding.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 06:39:54 pm »

The simple truth is, you are not ready, you never will be, and you will die.  Now, let's see how well you can screw over hell before you're sent there!
This. If you encounter the infinite hordes of hell, Armok himself couldn't save you. (Even if he could, he'd be enjoying your fight too much to do so.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 06:45:48 pm »

I think maybe the FPS problem has to do with them being able to fly and being in a very 3 dimensional area with complex pathfinding.

This is exactly the problem.  50+ flying, swimming, magma-swimming creatures, who are in an enormous empty space, and pathing their way up to the surface constantly.  They're looking through hell, the magma sea, all three caverns, and the surface, with your fort included.  That's an ENORMOUS area to search for pathing, and there's a ton of them!

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2011, 09:59:10 pm »

How about NOW!?

I have expanded the spikes to 2x10(x10) in steel, and 4x10(x10) in copper, and 3x10(x10) in bronze.

I have also added a 9x9 cavein area (with statues in the center) held up by a support to trick those devils into smashing themselves if ALL other defenses failed.

I have gotten a bit of adamantine and given all my spearers and axers adamantine (and a few candy gauntlets to satisfy a duchess mood).

I've now got over 50 war grizzly bears.

I have put statues along a corridor to perhaps confuse demons and make them stand still for the ballistas longer.

I added another corridor with a large rock supply and catapult.

ALL the balista arrows are now silver, along with all my archer's bolts.

And there are opportune battlements all along the archers' fire field to give trouble to any demons who can't shoot back (or pass through fortifications).

And I have caged all my animals to release as a third-to-last zerg rush defense.

So, it goes in this order:

Archer Alley (12 xbows in steel with silver bolts protected by next next defense)
Grizzly Gulch (50+ pissed off war grizzlies)
Ironclad Clash (Adamantine/Steel hybrid troops, 44 total - to engage if they make it past the archers)
Pokey Path (The aforementioned long hall of spikedy death)
First Steel Gate (to slow them down)
Ballista Barrage (Hallway with two silver-launching ballistae targetted [and statues to distract])
Dwarf-Washer (no real defense except vs. contagions)
Second Steel Gate (again, slowing and allowing ballistamen to escape)
Catapult Canyon (Corridor with catapult)
Zerg Rush Ridge (Throw the blackbears 'n stuff at 'em!)
Falling Falls (9x9 trapped room for crushinating)

If they can get past that, the fort is theirs.  But... can they!?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2011, 10:09:18 pm »

They may due to one small oversight.  A building destroyer goes after live targets if given the option.  Because of this, you'll need to remove all pathways towards living creatures, to keep them distracted for the statues to work.  Otherwise, they'll ignore them and go for the live bait.  Aside from that, simply be aware that spears don't do immediate damage, but the target will bleed out from the wounds, except that spear traps seem to do a lot more instant-death than soldiers do.  So, your axers will probably get a lot more kills.  Same rule applies to crossbows.  They annoy and hurt, but don't instantly kill.  Hammers do good for damaging an enemy, knocking off bones and leaving them weak, but they don't kill very often.  So, hammers to break hand bones and axes to kill the disarmed foe, work wonderfully.

All that withstanding, these are demons and the rules don't quite apply.

Aside from THAT, you're looking good!  You may wanna do some danger-room-ing if you want uper-troops, but otherwise I say go for it.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2011, 10:13:43 pm »

Actually, i've been using Trial By Fire training.  They're all at least Proficient, most are in the Masters range and several are Legendary (almost all the bowmen) because despite heavy trap defenses, they've been head-on handling my goblins.

Those who are permanently wounded are discharged with purple hearts.  The rest are forged into steel!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2011, 10:41:24 pm »

If you REALLY wanted good soldiers, you go go livestock.  Allegedly, there's genetics involved, and a tall dwarf will sire a tall child.  Doing this, you can selectively breed dwarves until you get very large stock, who will fight with about ~25% more size than the average dwarf.  It is, of course, too late to be thinking about that, but fancy to know about, eh?

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2011, 11:17:34 pm »

It seems that the effort to make one uberminscht dwarf would be defeated by just making a new squad, in terms of speed:kickass ratio.  Nah.

I just breached my adamantine and found it to be solid, so i'm going to convert it to more armor and weapons before trying the next level down.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2011, 11:22:13 pm »

If you want some serious defense, make an obsidian caster that floods the area with magma, then water, to encase the demons in obsidian.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2011, 11:22:30 pm »

I would put the ranged squads after the melee units.
Some demons can use deadly dust which might spread before killing. Maybe put the bears first, though they'll probably all die.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2011, 11:25:59 pm »

don't forget to leave a breeding pair at home...
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Proberoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2011, 11:38:34 pm »

If you want some serious defense, make an obsidian caster that floods the area with magma, then water, to encase the demons in obsidian.

This is what I had going, but again, the FPS made it so I couldn't live to see the use of the trap.  :'(  Though it seems to me that it's probably the best way to handle the clowns if you aren't sitting on 50+ legendary steel battleaxe'd troops.

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2011, 12:23:12 am »

How about legendary adamantium battleaxes?  And spears?  And swords?  And chainmails?  And gauntlets?  And steel everything else?

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2011, 12:25:18 am »

does wearing chainmail under platemail have the same benefits it does in the real world?
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2011, 12:43:48 am »

Chain mail protects upper arms, while breastplate only covers the upper bodies.  You can change this by changing [UBSTEP] in the armor file for breastplate to [UBSTEP:1] but otherwise, gauntlets and breastplate leaves your shoulders exposed and easy to lop off.  So, a mail shirt protects this area, and provides full coverage, important for danger rooms as well.

Greaves cover upper and lower legs, high boots cover lower leg and feet, low boots cover feet, gauntles cover hands and lower arms, and helms cover heads.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4