Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quantum foodpile  (Read 703 times)

Bikgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quantum foodpile
« on: February 13, 2011, 11:47:13 pm »

So I took a look at my food storage and realized that I have absolutely no room left. I don't really want to expand it, because then it will probably be too big (currently about 40x40 right now) for my tastes. In addition, I've also heard that big open areas are great for murdering your FPS. I want to dump some of my food into my quantum stockpile. To do so, I plan to put down a food stockpile tile where all the food will land. In addition, I will add only prepared meals to the pile (the wiki claimed that "prepared meals in stacks larger than ten (☼Dwarven Beer Roast [200]☼ is possible) will not fit in a barrel, but will not rot once placed in a food stockpile, and still only take up one space") to prevent the food from rotting. However, I'm concerned that the food stacked on top of each other might nullify this effect - do they do so? In addition, do the roasts summon swarms of flies near them? If so, do the flies eat at the entire pile of food or simply ignore it?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 11:55:53 pm by Bikgn »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Quantum foodpile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 12:00:22 am »

I have quantum stockpiled my food in the past with no issues.

When running out of room, I just made the dump zone on one of the tiles of the existing food stockpile and set everything to be dumped, then claimed it all.  Since everything was still in the food stockpile the dwarves just left it all stacked and started using the now empty stockpile. Had no problems with rotting or extra vermin or anything.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Bikgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 12:02:49 am »

That's awesome news. Thanks for the help  :D

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 12:04:47 am »

There is no such thing a a quantum foodpile, to begin with. If you set up a 1x1 prepared foodpile, at bottom of a pit, 1 stack will be stored there. Any food dropped upon it will count as not stored in a stockpile
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 12:20:32 am »

There is no such thing a a quantum foodpile, to begin with. If you set up a 1x1 prepared foodpile, at bottom of a pit, 1 stack will be stored there. Any food dropped upon it will count as not stored in a stockpile

Are you sure about that?  I have used this trick quite a few times and have never had the food rot or anything, but maybe my dorfs ate it too fast  :o

Maybe some science is in order...

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 12:46:03 am »

OK, I just did a little experiment.

I had about 20 stacks of prepared foods in a barrel free stockpile.  I created a single tile dump on that stockpile and dumped half the meals on it, then I went and made another single tile dump on bare floor and dumped the rest there.

The stuff on the stockpile did not rot, the stuff outside the stockpile did.

That seems like pretty concrete evidence that quantum food stockpiling does indeed work, to me at least.

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 12:49:54 am »

agreed, I've left food stockpiled for *long* periods of time (years) in a quantum pile with no rotting problems. there's no way the food would not have gone bad if it wasn't piled, confirming gtmattz results.
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"