Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting...  (Read 645 times)

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interesting...
« on: February 13, 2011, 07:13:12 pm »

Well, my fortress is still standing (how I'll never know). After a fair few denizens of the caves have wandered into my fortress, I have found, much to my amusement, that a cave crocodile was by far the worst of them. The two forgotten beasts were pushovers - the giant elephant thing was ganked and the saltman got messed up both without much, if any, incident. The trolls and jabberrers etc, were more challenging.

The cave crocodile, however, ripped about six people to shreds without batting an eyelid, before a close face off with a couple of my sqauddies, one of whom it tore her left foot off, and she's been around since the start, beating the hell out of everything, never met anything like that before, and she took down one of the forgotten beasts! Eventually a war mastiff came down into the mineshaft and ripped the croc a new one, at which point one of my cheeky soldiers stepped in and broke its neck with a shield, stealing the dog's glory.

Beware the cave croc's! They're meaner than a forgotten beast!

Also, I stole some stuff from a nord caravan... and they left... and then turned around. Now they're just standing placidly outside my fort doing nothing. Anyone know why? Bug? It's amusing at least.

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 04:11:42 am »

The worst thing about crocs and alligators is that, as soon as you notice the Combat Report R pop up, your miner's already missing a hand and a foot.

Mkombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 06:06:05 am »

I think I might've lost 15 dwarves to a cave croc on my first "real" fort. It was miserable. I abandoned shortly after, because of this.

Edit: I should mention, the entire reason I was in the caves with a relatively weak military to begin with, I had no water. My water supply was gone because of the heat, it dried up. So I was down there looking for a water supply. I indeed, found a cavern.. but no water. What I found was the end of my fort! Haha. After those losses, I figured it was time to start on a little easier embark, where water isn't so hard to acquire. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to put water in my hospital, but I have plenty of wells to work with. We'll see.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:20:56 am by Mkombat »

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 06:13:07 am »

I hate crocs and alligators. Every fort I start in a their biomes always has one charge out of the river and kill the guard dog I take with me. Then I need to use a cat as kobold bait in front of the entrance.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 06:48:56 am »

I found I kinda like the idea of some of my Dwarves being messed up like that - it's like they're veterans or something. Although how my little soldier girl is going to work now, crawling or hopping around on crutches, smacking things with her hammer, should be interesting.

Unfortunately I can't actually modify my start out (at least not in Gen-mod anyway), otherwise starting out would probably be a lot easier. Luckily I'm not in a biome where croc's are prevalent - that and they'd have to climb to the top of a large hill first. Mostly my surroundings are fairly peaceful. I've just got to get some archers out so I can start shooting down those damned birds... and do something about the ghosts now. There's about seven of them wandering around. Time to start cranking out coffins, I assume.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 09:00:42 am »

In my current fort, I lost something like 5 dwarves to one draltha, and a total of about a dozen to the three that did any damage.  Fun times...
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.