Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: DF Players, Who is Armok?  (Read 15709 times)

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
Re: DF Players, Who is Armok?
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 08:10:51 pm »

Yet all dwarves have "A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry" on them.
I'm going to mod a worship Armok line to that.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 09:34:22 pm »

In my mind Armok is the deep one, and all Dwarves are slaves to Armok because they are compelled to dig ever deeper to their own doom.

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARF_ALIGNMENT:EVIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2011, 09:44:45 pm »

As long as I am not able to collect whatever creatures blood from an arena or deadly pit and then build blood waterfalls at the entrance of my fortress, I am not able to worship Armok adequately.
Once upon a time there was a dwarf. Then he died. The End.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011, 09:46:03 pm »

Apparently, this is desired in some eventual update, to make different kinds of fluids aside from water and magma.  Included in the pipe dream is the mythical Booze Fountain, which shall be GLORIOUS!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2011, 10:05:27 pm »

Armok to me is an evil yet benevolent deity that tortures souls in life, not death, though he enjoys it. It exists solely within the earth itself, and as living things dig ever deeper his influence in their area grows stronger. He will accept most into a near-earthly afterlife, full of the same chaotic society as the mortal world, but devoid of physical harm. Never truly happy. Those truly evil will become a part of the underworld, miserable for all eternity, no matter what they attempt.

So a lot like the God of the three major western religions today, but slightly less evil. He'll only torture most people during life, by not helping them in any way.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2011, 10:12:07 pm »

It is not our place to question Armok, but to only carry out his will.  His will happens to be wholesale slaughter and the rising of magma from the deep.  Who are we to question divinity?

Sigged.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2011, 10:29:36 pm »

Personally, I like to think that Armok is the game itself, particularly the random-number part.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 10:30:09 pm »

Ghost in the Machine?

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2011, 10:46:49 pm »

The player is Armok. You're the one who told the Dwarves to build the giant sacrificial chamber, the one who got a kick outta trapping 30+ Cats and then dropping them to their deaths onto the big stone slab in the chamber and exploding on impact with blood and guts going everywhere to bless the chamber.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2011, 01:31:25 am »

I like to imagine him as sitting on a throne on an island, surrounded by a sea of blood.  Above the sea is a ceiling with a bunch of strange glowing holes in it, through which his greatest servants pour the blood gathered from their latest offerings.  Which is why said offerings were covered in blood in the previous version of the game.   ;D

Which would explain so much of the dwarven society.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2011, 07:01:18 am »

If all dwarfs are slave to armok, and all dwarfs worship armok, then what is the one thing all dwarfs love more then life it's self.... socks... hmmmmmm It would explain so much.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2011, 07:18:29 am »

I'd like to imagine Armok being the little bit of crazy every DF player has in them. Sometimes you just can't resist pulling that lever that floods the entire fortress with lava, hence "slaves".

To me it's either that or the widely accepted "The player is Armok", but that is used too much.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2011, 09:44:03 am »

I also agree with the Player is Armok thing. 

Armok creates the worlds and custom creatures in StA1, and it seems to be implied that YOU are Armok. Since when you take control of a single creature they suddenly gain awesome magical powers unheard of in the world.  From the detonation of a tree and making the pulp into pants, to the teleporting of a rabbit's foot 2 inches to the right while it squirms in agony from having it's skin removed. It only stands to reason that Armok is the one typing commands in with the keyboard.

The same thing seems true in StA2:DF.  Although it is never directly implied that you are Armok, you can do many of the same things that you can do in StA1.  You can create worlds from nothing, modify(mod) the worlds to your liking, you can take control of individuals or groups, who afterwords in legends written by scholars were governed by unknown forces.  Those under your command have unnatural powers over architecture and physics.  And can sometimes outright perform magic ('cheating' utilities).

No mortals know of Armok because none worship him/her.  The gods may know of Armok, but may not even exist, perhaps only being aspects of Armok.

It's all very deep.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2011, 10:35:29 am »

Armok is the god of blood. he doth flow in the veins of every dwarf, he is the one who inspires the fey moods and possesses the soul of his minions in times of need. so doth his power flow with the flux of the fight, that he grants his minions dominance over the foul beasts of the Deep. Every dwarf who kills a clown has earnt the right to vallhalla everlasting! untill the world is flooded in magma and the fight for creation begins anew and all the heros of the time march forth on fire to do battle with hell and the forgotten deeps itself! all hail the shadow of blood that sweeps all aside!

Extract from the phrophocies of Karakzon, Chapter 1, part 1, sermon 1, subcontexted under rediculously complex indexes sub paragraph 1.

Something like this.  Blood as in energy, the somewhat cyclical force of creating, destroying, and surviving.  The breath and growth and decay of living beings, as well as the forces of the earth like rain, geothermal activity, gravity, and the permanence of objects.  A somewhat indifferent godhead that maintains a slight degree of stability in an existence that naturally and intentionally fights to become chaotic.  Effort pleases it, overexertion and laziness disappoints it, dogmatic worship does not necessarily bring its favor.  In sentient beings, it respects a sense of duty, but looks more kindly upon motivation and inspiration.

Of course, this is in no way canon.  Just my interpretation of what a proper DF-style supreme being might look like.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2011, 12:15:55 pm »

We as a forum must draw up an all-encompassing lore, with someone narrating so it makes some cohesive, coherent whole
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 03:30:21 pm by Scaraban »
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4