Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: DF Players, Who is Armok?  (Read 15711 times)

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
Re: DF Players, Who is Armok?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 05:10:08 pm »

I just want to know why he never is actually listed in game, even though his name is on the front cover (as it were)

Seriously, no dwarf I have ever seen worships him, yet they're all slaves to him. Even if we are Armok, it seems a bit weird.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 05:12:06 pm »

I just want to know why he never is actually listed in game, even though his name is on the front cover (as it were)

Seriously, no dwarf I have ever seen worships him, yet they're all slaves to him. Even if we are Armok, it seems a bit weird.

This is what I mean. That's the question I was posing.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 05:26:09 pm »

the gods of df universe are procedurally generated, armok is just a joke. it's a reference to a variable in dragslay, that counted the number of arms you had available

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 05:28:16 pm »

Ok, we've had several people tell us about the ARM_OK line.  Now get to the point of the thread and get creative.  "To you, who is Armok?"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 05:59:55 pm »

Armok is that little corner of my soul that contains naught but soul-crushing evil, the part of my psyche which manifests itself whenever I play the game, and the connection between these two.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 06:16:53 pm »

Armok is the god of blood. he doth flow in the veins of every dwarf, he is the one who inspires the fey moods and possesses the soul of his minions in times of need. so doth his power flow with the flux of the fight, that he grants his minions dominance over the foul beasts of the Deep. Every dwarf who kills a clown has earnt the right to vallhalla everlasting! untill the world is flooded in magma and the fight for creation begins anew and all the heros of the time march forth on fire to do battle with hell and the forgotten deeps itself! all hail the shadow of blood that sweeps all aside!

Extract from the phrophocies of Karakzon, Chapter 1, part 1, sermon 1, subcontexted under rediculously complex indexes sub paragraph 1.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 06:22:09 pm »

Armok is the eruption of volcanoes, the tears of elven children, the flames of forest fires. He is everything that has been and everything that will be.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 06:29:37 pm »

Well, there's no ingame physical evidence of any gods(that I know of, "worshipped" creatures are just monsters playing the part), so maybe all the dwarven(and human, elven, goblin, kobold, etc) religions are wrong, and every dwarf upon death learns the true Armok. The hard way.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 06:47:34 pm »

Well, there's no ingame physical evidence of any gods(that I know of, "worshipped" creatures are just monsters playing the part), so maybe all the dwarven(and human, elven, goblin, kobold, etc) religions are wrong, and every dwarf upon death learns the true Armok. The hard way.
"What did she say?"
"...Every living creature dies alone."

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 06:50:36 pm »

Who Armok is? I'm sure he's around here somewhere.. either posting on various topics or lurking.. But he's here..

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 07:05:15 pm »

This thread comes up every couple months and the general consensus is that we, the players, are armok.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 07:08:26 pm »

Quote from: the wiki
According to the lore of Dwarf Fortress' prequel, Slaves to Armok: God of Blood, Armok is the creator of the world and the in-game explanation for the random world generation:

"Armok, the God of Blood, is just about the only constant in these chaotic random universes. A general sense of conflict keeps Armok appeased - when the universe becomes too boring it is set on the anvil of creation to be reforged."

"The destruction of the world by Armok will arise inevitably in most game worlds. As civilizations spread and the frontier closes, the world will start to look homogeneous. Armok, looking upon this decadence in disgust, will reform the world. Basically, when the universe has become too boring, it will be changed."

yup, sounds like me

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 07:09:52 pm »

I wonder if Armok likes pie.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 08:05:25 pm »

You see, the reason he isn't listed on the religion page for Dwarves is very simple. As ALL Dwarves worship Armok, it would be redundant to list him all those times.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 08:07:48 pm »

Yet all dwarves have "A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry" on them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4