Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: DF Players, Who is Armok?  (Read 15700 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
DF Players, Who is Armok?
« on: February 13, 2011, 03:59:42 pm »

I mean honestly, we build temples and sacrifice kittens, goblins, !!elves!! in the name of the Blood God.

I want your opinion on Armok. I also want to know if anyone has an actual answer, as well.

I just want to know why he never is actually listed in game, even though his name is on the front cover (as it were)

Seriously, no dwarf I have ever seen worships him, yet they're all slaves to him. Even if we are Armok, it seems a bit weird.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 05:12:14 pm by They Got Leader »
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: DF Players, Who is Armok?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 04:01:40 pm »

We are all Armok.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 04:02:14 pm »

We are all Armok.
That's kinda what I was beginning to think, too.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 04:05:04 pm »

Isn't it a reference to a status message in one of Toady's earlier games...  Arm Ok.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 04:09:25 pm »

It is not our place to question Armok, but to only carry out his will.  His will happens to be wholesale slaughter and the rising of magma from the deep.  Who are we to question divinity?

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 04:16:24 pm »

I am not questioning. I am wondering why no dwarf has "worships Armok" on their relationships and such.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 04:17:40 pm »

No. YOU ARE THE ARMOK

You command Dwarfs to sacrifice to you.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 04:20:01 pm »

I had always had the impression the player was the fortress, as a form of magical AI. Like a magical, (maybe) less sane GLaDOS.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 04:21:14 pm »

That's because religion hasn't been properly implemented yet, but is planned.  Dwarves should eventually get bad thoughts if there's no temple to their deity of choice, and they either make time to pray there, or go there while "On Break".

Also, I prefer to see myself as some sort of angel.  Armok sits above, ambivalent and vague, but his ideas seep into the world, pervasive and whole.  I am but a messenger of his word, and these errant thoughts of dropping barracks onto sieges and making elf skull totems are nothing more than his will manifest.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 04:32:22 pm »

Its an old tag that made sure an arm was still attached to a dwarf-- "ARM_OK", good cause for prayer, anyway you look at it.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 04:59:18 pm »

You deserve to be sacrificed to Armok for your unknowingness.
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 05:00:35 pm »

I think that Armok is like the god of the universe of DF, and we are using his creations to do his glory almost.

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 05:05:17 pm »

Is really productive to discuss about Armok?
Thou don't need to discuss of  Him, thou you need to believe in Him.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 05:09:42 pm by Hungry Elephant »

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 05:06:30 pm »

Is really productive to discuss about Armok?
Thou don't need to discuss of  Him, thou you ness to believe in Him.

It was a serious question. It is productive to know what other people think.

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 05:08:48 pm »

It was a serious question. It is productive to know what other people think.

So here's a serious response.

Looks strange that Armok it's never present, but of course it is because worldgen parameters are random. So probably you cannot have Armok in your world.
But...

We can speculate that the cult of Armok it's too terrible to be professed in public. So dwarves worship Armok only on a subconsius level (i.e. diving in lava moats and attacking a bronze colossus armed only with a spider silk sock, no it doesn't matter if it's master crafted).

So basically every dwarf worship and is slave to Armok being doomed to end is life in a violent manner.

We can assume (just for FUN and taste for misterious things) that there are few dwarves that worship Armok in a coscient way but not openly. All the formal celebrations are fortfeited in favour of manically pulling levers that opens magma floodgates.

Also we can assume (just for the sake of speculation) that dorfes that go berserk in some way realize the presence of Armok as supreme God and act in the oly way to really honour him. Die in a bloody and fashionable way while smashing the largest numbers of head in the process.

Bottom line: I'm sure Armok is a really cool guy.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 05:18:37 pm by Hungry Elephant »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4