Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Awesomeness  (Read 1706 times)

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
Re: Awesomeness
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 07:21:00 pm »

I believe you have to do some file tweaking, but you can farm Obsidian and use it for your fort if you want. Convenient, since it's not that common naturally and it has the highest value modifier of all non-metallic stones, with x3 to value!
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 07:31:13 pm »

Why file tweakingż And theoretically, it's the most abundant material.

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 07:55:36 pm »

Is anyone else annoyed that obsidian swords are the only thing that requires a material for secondary components? I always figured that metal weapons didn't need wood to make handles because the amount of wood was so trivial that the game abstracted it away -- like how you don't need any wood or coal to cook things in the kitchen. Then I go to make obsidian swords, and damn if I don't have to have some wood.

This reminds me -- there needs to be a way to make obsidian-tipped bolts. I mean, yeah, you can mod in a reaction for it at some kludgy custom building, but it ought to be done at the craftsdwarf's shop with the wooden and bonen bolts.

By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 07:59:09 pm »

get over it
bed is made out from wood log, and wood log only.
dwarves basically sleep on planks covered with knitted tree bark.

but then there are already many mods which had implemented reaction requiring multiple ingredients, to make actual sense.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 08:07:14 pm »

Obsidian is slightly bugged.  Unless it's a naturally occurring layer in your embark, it's not immediately usable.  This is because it has [MAX_EDGE:10000] material token, so the game decides "It's an economic rock, don't use it for things like cabinets and doors" but because it's not native rock, it doesn't appear in the Z stock's stone menu.  You can go into DF/Data/Save/Region#/Raw/Object/Inorganic_stone_layer.txt (or a similar file name, you'll recognize it) and remove the [MAX_EDGE] token.  This will cause it to appear on the Z stock's stone menu.  You can then save your game, and undo the edit, returning it to the original value, so it can be used for weapons again, except now it will remain on the economic stone selection list, so you can toggle it just like any other stone.

It's buggy, yes, but the game IS still in alpha stage, and no one said there weren't bugs.

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 08:41:54 pm »

get over it
bed is made out from wood log, and wood log only.
dwarves basically sleep on planks covered with knitted tree bark.

No, see, that's what I'm talking about. The straw and blankets are considered trivial and therefore abstracted away. I'd be perfectly happy if obsidian swords required obsidian and only obsidian.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 09:31:10 pm »

Most of the mantle of the Earth, where the magma is, is mostly silicon.

The main reason why obsidian is formed from cooled magma in DF is that whatever its elemental composition, the magma is cooled so quickly that it doesn't form crystals, but rather a glassy substance, because there is no time for crystals to form. That and the fact that DF magma is likely mostly silicon. I don't atom smash, but magmify all by junk rock and other such shit. Even though it's full of impurities, it'd still be mostly silicon dioxide, but I like to imagine that it'd be all sorts of lovely colours because of what I melted in it, making for prettier shortswords.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 10:38:06 pm »

No, see, that's what I'm talking about. The straw and blankets are considered trivial and therefore abstracted away. I'd be perfectly happy if obsidian swords required obsidian and only obsidian.
Partly it's a legacy of when obsidian shortswords were ridiculously overpowered, but mostly it resembles the way their real-life equivalent are actually made. A macahuitl (I think that's how you spell it) is basically a long wooden club with several dozen small, razorblade-like pieces of knapped obsidian embedded in it.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 04:46:49 pm »

Is anyone else annoyed that obsidian swords are the only thing that requires a material for secondary components? I always figured that metal weapons didn't need wood to make handles because the amount of wood was so trivial that the game abstracted it away -- like how you don't need any wood or coal to cook things in the kitchen. Then I go to make obsidian swords, and damn if I don't have to have some wood.

This reminds me -- there needs to be a way to make obsidian-tipped bolts. I mean, yeah, you can mod in a reaction for it at some kludgy custom building, but it ought to be done at the craftsdwarf's shop with the wooden and bonen bolts.

Most people assume obsidian swords in DF are the same as they are in real life. Look up Macuahuitl, you'll instantly see why it uses wood. It's basically a wooden log covered or edged in obsidian blades.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 06:28:03 pm »

A spear is mostly wood too. Yeesh.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 06:36:01 pm »

A spear is mostly wood too. Yeesh.

you could have full metal spear, i guess that's the assumption in vanilla DF.
it'd just be heavy, if not made of aluminum or blue cotton candy.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 06:41:38 pm »

I thought the assumption was that DF is still in Alpha stage and a lot of things are simplified down to the most basic terms simply to allow easier gameplay and bugfinding.  After all, if it took a full game year to make a spear, then there wouldn't be as much science done about combat.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 07:16:45 pm »

ah yes that indeed.
it's easy to make things too complicated, but yet not realistic enough at the same time.
Pages: 1 [2]