Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Floating Floor?  (Read 1783 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Floating Floor?
« on: February 13, 2011, 06:43:20 am »

A Fire Mephit started a forest fire an (in game) year ago so I build a wall somewhere to protect the area from the fire and later I removed it.
But I just looked at my fortress in StoneSense for the first time and I saw a floating block somewhere, it was a floor just above the wall I removed earlier. There are no stairs up the wall to build the floor so that was pretty weird but when I tried to remove it with {d}->{n} the floor tile was red just like the floor tiles that are created when you build a wall a z-level lower.

So the wall was removed but the floor tile that is supposed the be removed with it is still there? Is this a known bug or what?
Only mod I use is Genesis but I don't think that'd one of the features... 

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
Re: Floating Floor?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 07:25:45 am »

Are you sure it's not connected to anything on the same Z level? (any of the 8 tiles around it)

Also : Build your entire fortress on top of that floating floor tile!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:27:48 am by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 10:14:22 am »

The fact that it's floating isn't what's wrong (actually, it isn't floating at all) but it is not a floor you construct with {b} {C} {f} but it is the floor that's automatically created when you build a wall (it's what you stand on when you walk on top of a wall).
it SHOULD dissapear if you destroy the wall that is part of but after I destroyed the wall the floor is still there :P
(I'll try to make it float in the air as soon as the goblins are gone (stupid Deon and his trap avoid :P)

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 10:53:44 am »

1. pics or it didn't happen
Are you sure it's not connected to anything on the same Z level? (any of the 8 tiles around it)

100000000000000000000000000000000000000 points for awesomeness if you show this to us
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 11:19:29 am »

Could i possibly get your save, good sir? Or at least confirm if it "buggs' every time.
 I'd dig out half of the Z levels and construct a space station in the shape of reversed-pyramid (tip beign the floating floor tile.)

What i'm also trying to say is : It's not a bug, Armok has blessed You.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 12:14:07 pm by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 01:19:30 pm »

1) plz read my last post if you think the ''werid'' thing is the fact that it's floating
2) I'll post some pics
3) floating isn't special anyway you can disabel gravity cave-ins

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 01:23:40 pm »

I could swear that you can turn off gravity for floors in the init files - atleast Lazynewbpack has an option for it. ???
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 01:39:15 pm »

I really shouldn't have said anything about floating, it is NOT floating as in: ''weehee fuck you gravity''.
Just read the txt in the pics:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As you can see, it's not a constructed floor (should be green in the pics) but it is the upper part of a wall.
I also tried to make it float like you think it did but:
A section of the caverns has collapsed
bugged walls/floors still fall down

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 09:48:54 pm »

I could swear that you can turn off gravity for floors in the init files - atleast Lazynewbpack has an option for it. ???
d_init; Caveins setting.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 10:28:05 pm »

And the dwarfs did rest after the construction of their mighty space station and declared that day to be a national holiday for all of dwarfkind; And Armok did decide to turn gravity back on after it's completion and declared that day to be very funny.

Are you absolutely positive that you didn't build a floor on top of the wall? (I think you can do that) I've never removed walls outside, but I'm sure it shouldn't leave the floor after the wall is gone unless Toady wants everyone to have cave-ins.

That's a lie: I have removed walls once and there was no floor left. Did it cave-in when you removed the walls around it, or did you do something else?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!