Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ASQ: how to take things out of bin  (Read 12941 times)

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
ASQ: how to take things out of bin
« on: February 13, 2011, 05:56:12 am »

ASQ stands for Another Simple Question
So, I've made artifact vault, but forgot to disable bins in stockpile. Now I have three artifact level crafts in one bin and I can't get them out.
I've made another stockpile, I've tried dumping crafts, I've tried forbidding bin, I don't have any more ideas.
Quote from: Fishbulb
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Quote from: Urist son of Urist
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ASQ: how to take things out of bin
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 06:02:23 am »

Try removing then replacing the stockpile.

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 06:16:55 am »

Try removing then replacing the stockpile.
Already. Removed old stockpile, placed another one near. Artifact table moved to new stockpile, bin with crafts just sits there.
I got an artifact cave spider silk sock this morning. It's worth 5,720 dwarfbucks, and it doesn't menace with spikes of anything.
Dwarfs don't have issues.  Dwarfs merely have inspiration for the legendary artifact they will one day make.
Considering the general state of DF, I think Einstein and Newton are already rotating fast enough that you could hook them up to pumps and use them to kill Elves.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 06:36:01 am »

And the stockpile is designated to store artifact finished goods as well as artifact furniture?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 06:44:18 am »

I had this with coins too, but I abandoned a day later so I have no solution :(

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 07:15:23 am »

1) Apply magma
2) wait till bins have burned away
3) drain magma
4) recover !!artefacts!!
5) fun
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Fullmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Elfless
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 08:14:26 am »

1) Apply magma
3) drain magma
4) recover !!artefacts!!
5) fun
Problem: don't have magma at moment.
Problem 2: artifacts are made from wood.
Atomic trash compactors won't do.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 08:45:14 am »

1) Apply magma
3) drain magma
4) recover !!artefacts!!
5) fun
Problem: don't have magma at moment.
Problem 2: artifacts are made from wood.
Atomic trash compactors won't do.

Problem 1: Slacker.
Problem 2: Artefacts don't burn up.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 09:04:54 am »

Use the 'take from pile' option on a new stockpile (bins disabled) after moving the bins to a stockpile with bins enabled (select that one to take from). This works for removing stuff from barrels as well.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 11:57:08 am »

Wait until a caravan arrives, then order the bin to be brought to the depot - since artifacts are untradeable, they will be dumped on the floor when the bin is picked up to be traded.
If the bin itself is an artifact, then you'll have to figure out something else.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 02:15:14 pm »

dump the artifact but not the bin and then reclaim it
or
dump the bin but not the artifact and then reclaim it

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 08:35:47 am »

Use the 'take from pile' option on a new stockpile (bins disabled) after moving the bins to a stockpile with bins enabled (select that one to take from). This works for removing stuff from barrels as well.

This should work. Not immediately if your haulers are busy doing something else, but eventually they will transfer the artefacts from the pile with the bin to the pile without the bin.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 09:02:03 am »

dump the artifact but not the bin and then reclaim it
or
dump the bin but not the artifact and then reclaim it
1. Artifacts cannot be marked for dumping, so this is impossible.
2. Marking a bin for dumping has no effect on its contents, so this won't accomplish anything.

Just bring the bin to the trade depot and the artifacts will be left behind on the floor.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 11:28:33 am »

If you don't want to wait around for a caravan to arrive at your depot you can do the following:

1 - Designate another stockpile which takes artifact crafts (and bins). Make it at least 2 tiles big & somewhere relatively near the vault stockpile (even right next to it will do). This is your temporary stockpile.
2 - Switch off crafts for your vault stockpile.
3 - Wait while a dwarf hauls bin containing artifact crafts from vault stockpile to temporary stockpile.
4 - Switch crafts back on in your vault stockpile & switch them off for temporary stockpile.
5 - Watch as your dwarves pick up the artifacts one at a time & carry them to the vault stockpile & dump them on the floor.
6 - Remove the temporary stockpile. A dwarf should haul the now empty bin to a furniture stockpile (or another stockpile which requires a bin).

That's basically the manual way of forcing your dwarves to do what schlorf said in his post above.

Why you actually want to do this is beyond me. You have a bin in your vault which all your dwarves will dump any "small" artifacts into thereby saving space in the vault. Having each artifact take up a space on the floor serves no purpose that I can see.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 11:32:52 am by Malibu Stacey »
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough.