Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: water dwelling beasts and cage traps  (Read 1156 times)

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
water dwelling beasts and cage traps
« on: February 13, 2011, 05:47:32 am »

is it possible to catch fish and other swimming creatures in submerged cage traps? I want to capture a breeding pair of whales. Ive heard that whales are rare, but the butchering returns are mad. my plan would be to carve out an area 1 z level deep and fill it with cage traps, then open up the sides to the sea, hoping that sea beasties would swim through and be caught. not sure if this is possible though, especially since theres a good chance they dont touch the bottom and the trap is probably triggered by pressure :( if not, maybe you have some other ideas on capturing them? whales are ideal but id love to do any sort of fish farm. perhaps i should just use floodgates around the area to seal them in, possibly with connections to a pen area with two rows of floodgates to prevent exit. Im also curious how the game decides if an animal should stay permanently or not. for example, i once caught some draltha's underground in a small area but they disappeared later.
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: water dwelling beasts and cage traps
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 06:01:17 am »

Yes, it's possible to catch fish.

Once they're in cages, they stay in a cage. The only thing that kills creatures in cages is old age, which might have happened to those dralthas.

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 06:09:53 am »

thanks for your help! the dralthas were just corralled, not caged, so i figure thats why. that is a bit problematic though, because beasts must be loose in order to breed. If i caught said fish in the cages, could i drain the area, move the cages into separate holding cells, connect them to a lever, flood the cells, and release the fish, or would they drown once i drained the water? I'm uncertain how fluids work with cages. water cannot get in a cage, so a fish in a cage must have water in with it already, or not require water. if said water drains out, that would be a problem. and magma can just go right into a magma safe cage and incinerate the contents.
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 06:34:24 am »

Glass cages, terrariums, can be built and turned into aquariums. Not sure about regular cages.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 06:44:05 am »

is it possible to catch fish and other swimming creatures in submerged cage traps? I want to capture a breeding pair of whales.

Yes, it's very possible.  Read this for some great ideas.  He had tons of whales, sharks, etc. that he threw out because he was after an even bigger prize:  sea serpents.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 12:31:28 pm »

Cage traps work even on swimming or flying creatures, so long as they travel through the tile the cage trap is on.  If you capture an aquatic creature with a cage trap, it will not air-drown so long as it is in the cage, even if you build the cage somewhere aboveground.  It doesn't matter if the cage is glass, wood, or metal.  Magma-safe cages will even protect their occupants from being submerged in magma.

You can certainly place cages containing fish in a room, flood the room with water, and then release the fish and have them swim around their contained room and survive.  Unfortunately, no aquatic creatures have the [PET] tag, which means that none of them will breed normally.  Sea Serpents have the [PET_EXOTIC] tag, which means they would theoretically breed if you had a dungeon master, but the dungeon master is bugged, doesn't show up, and doesn't work even if you mod him to show up anyway.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 12:50:13 pm »

Cage traps work even on swimming or flying creatures, so long as they travel through the tile the cage trap is on.  If you capture an aquatic creature with a cage trap, it will not air-drown so long as it is in the cage, even if you build the cage somewhere aboveground.  It doesn't matter if the cage is glass, wood, or metal.  Magma-safe cages will even protect their occupants from being submerged in magma.

The reverse is also true. You can make an aquarium full of eagles and buffalo as long as they stay in the cage.

~Home. Home on the range.~

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 09:46:36 pm »

Magma-safe cages will even protect their occupants from being submerged in magma.
That's not true in my experience. I've caught gobbos and dumped the cages into magma. Then, checking the units list (much, much) later, they're listed as deceased, not caught.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 10:30:16 pm »

Magma-safe cages will even protect their occupants from being submerged in magma.
That's not true in my experience. I've caught gobbos and dumped the cages into magma. Then, checking the units list (much, much) later, they're listed as deceased, not caught.

Old age? O.o
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 10:33:32 pm »

Old age? O.o
Doubt it, as I'm sure I saw smoke a time or two. I'll make a test run in my fort and report what happens.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 10:36:57 pm »

Old age? O.o
Doubt it, as I'm sure I saw smoke a time or two. I'll make a test run in my fort and report what happens.

I've had goblin corpses in my cages with no magma involved.  I think it happens when injured goblins die from their wounds while in captivity?
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 10:42:07 pm »

Old age? O.o

I've had goblin corpses in my cages with no magma involved.  I think it happens when injured goblins die from their wounds while in captivity?
Gobbos had no injuries when I caught 'em. Like I said, I'll run a test and report back.

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 06:33:08 am »

thanks. does anyone know if wild animal breeding will be coming back? im hoping this is just a broken feature