Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Driving and racing games/simulators  (Read 1777 times)

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
Driving and racing games/simulators
« on: February 12, 2011, 11:01:48 pm »

So my father likes that kind of games, he has beaten Gran Turismo 4 at 100%

What good driving games/simulators are out there?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Driving and racing games/simulators
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 11:08:43 pm »

Test Drive Unlimited 2 is absolutely an awesome game. It blends Gran Turismo and Need For Speed pretty well, in an open world driving and racing environment. It doesn't have as many cars as Gran Turismo 5 but it has a lot more gameplay options.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 11:09:15 pm »

he has beaten Gran Turismo 4 at 100%
Tell to go beat Gran Turismo 2 at 100%. If you don't get it, you're too young.

To be honest, I don't think racing games are all that popular anymore. Gran Turismo was one of better games/series.
You could technically count Grand Theft Auto as one ;).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 11:36:57 pm »

... You could technically count Grand Theft Auto as one ;).

lolno.

rFactor 2'll be out sometime this year.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 11:42:51 pm »

If you want the best racing game of all time, get him Diddy Kong Racing.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 12:03:51 am »

Forza 3.

Also, Rallisport Challenge 2 (albeit that's kind of an old one). Not the original Rallisport Challenge though, it hasn't aged well.

Oh, and what gaming platforms do you have? How powerful is your PC? Do you have a steering wheel?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 12:16:17 am »

Thanks for the replies!

PS2 and PC (so no Forza unfortunately), powerful enough.
No steering wheel though I and specially my father would love to have one. We use a PS2 joystick with USB adapter to play, unfortunately the sensitive buttons can't be used

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 12:37:55 am »

Stunts is always fun. You may need DOSBox for it however.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 12:46:47 am »

Forza 3.
Forza 1 and Forza 2 were pretty good too.

There was also Burnout: Paradise. Hell, I just got bored and drove around with the Delorean and the car from Ghostbusters in that game.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 01:00:22 am »

Rfactor is the most realistic (as in simulator) one, but at the same time, unplayable without a wheel

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 01:17:52 am »

Test Drive Unlimited 2 is absolutely an awesome game.

Just played that today, and I have to say it's far from that. Well, "played" is something of an overstatement. "Tried to play" is more like it. I thought I'd use my spiffy force feedback wheel to play it, but nope. Even though there are settings for force feedback in the game and the wheel stops self-centering when the game is started (as it's supposed to in games that support it), there actually isn't any force feedback, so it's extremely hard to control with a completely loose wheel with no feel to it. Even the default self-centering would be preferable, but even if you turn the FF off in the options it won't kick in, the setting just does nothing. And don't think that's just my crummy wheel to blame, a quick look at the official forums revealed that it doesn't work with any wheels. Furthermore, the default sensitivity and deadzone settings are utter crap and make the car completely uncontrollable. You can adjust them, but the sliders are not labelled and on some of them the maximum setting is on the left instead of the usual right, so it takes a lot of trial and error just to figure out what they do. The sound stutters a lot and the scenery pops in in an especially hideous and noticable way.
All you need to know is that the official, boxed release's disk name is "review" and the launcher shows the game version as "TDU2 QA v055 build 1". Maybe after a dozen patches or so it'll be a decent game. Personally I gave up on it after two hours, 90% of which was spent trying to get the damn wheel to work.
What a fucking joke.

That said, TDU1 is quite excellent and well worth getting.

Edit: Slight revision, after calming down I have tried the game again with a 360 controller and it is a lot more playable (than both TDU2 with a wheel and TDU1 with a controller). So if you're after driving simulators, look elsewhere. If you're after casual driving games, this one actually doesn't seem so bad. Plus it's just about the only driving game with a large, open world, exotic supercars, classic vintage cars, and off-roaders in one package.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 05:07:08 am by Sordid »

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 02:25:30 am »

For sim fan i recommend best on market http://www.lfs.net/
If like arcade all the above games mentioned works too.

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 03:04:52 pm »

I would recommend Richard Burns Rally wich is still the best rally sim up to date, and now it has a load of good mods like new cars, tracks, multiplayer and much more. Some bigger mods have additional interface so it becomes really easy managing them.

As for hard track sim, LFS (Live For Speed) gives the best feeling of driving a car, but to really exploit it a force-feedback wheel is required.
For me rFactor without mods feelt like an arcade game after trying LFS, and even with best mods its still inferior to it :P

iRacing is also good sim but i think it is subscription based and requires a wheel.