Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tattered clothes  (Read 2677 times)

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tattered clothes
« on: February 12, 2011, 08:00:00 pm »

so, could someone enlighten me, if there is a way in current version, without drafting everyone and handout clothes in military way, to get my dwarves into new garments?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Tattered clothes
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 08:04:18 pm »

Make a surplus.  Get some pig tail farms and put a clothier on repeat socks/trousers/shirts/etc.  Dwarves will claim and wear clothes when they get the desire, or just claim and stuff it in their room to rot.  There's generally nothing wrong with naked dwarves, but for practical purposes you just set out some bins and let them pick through them.  As a bonus, you get a legendary clother out of it more than likely and can make some ropes to sell for easy cash or room decorations!

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 08:06:31 pm »

That sounds like a suspiciously elvish way of going about it.

REAL dwarves harvest their clothes from goblin and elf sieges.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 08:07:35 pm »

That too, yes.  When you notice "Troglodite Loincloth" on your dwarves, you know they've snatched a dead goblin's clothes.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 08:11:06 pm »

hum i see.
seems the problem is i'm being to stingy on excess finished products... i ether sell for a great deal or not make them at the first place...
thnx fellows

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 08:15:17 pm »

Once you start killing ambushes and sieges, you get a lot of finished goods, otherwise known as Goblinite, the ore that comes from goblins and looks suspiciously like leather loincloths.  In a good fort, you can sustain by selling off this crud, and will never have enough stockpile space for it.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 08:16:44 pm »

It's surprising how much silk the goblins attack my fortress with.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 08:17:03 pm »

Dwarves will claim and wear clothes when they get the desire, or just claim and stuff it in their room to rot
Dwarves will claim clothing, and they may put their claimed clothing in their rooms, but they will never wear their claimed clothing even after their old clothes fall off.  It's a bug that's been around a while.  The only way around it at the moment is to put them in the military and force them to wear new clothes by assigning uniforms.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 08:42:15 pm »

sigh
i'll stick to the 'drafting everyone' way.