Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Endless Fire, or Miasma!  (Read 770 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Endless Fire, or Miasma!
« on: February 12, 2011, 07:20:01 pm »

So I've heard of it, but never attempted it, that you can set a burning object inside a fire-safe bin and it will perpetually burn.  How is this best achieved?

Alternatively, how can I intentionally and reliably create miasma -without zombies-.  I was inspired by the smoke thread over yonder, and wanted to make a miasma pump that would flood the map with miasma.  An alternative is to use smoke, but I'm fairly sure that'll kill my FPS even worse.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Endless Fire, or Miasma!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 07:28:41 pm »

It's not eternal.  A burning object inside a bin will burn as long as it would outside the bin.  The bin just keeps the object from being extinguished if you drop it in water.

An artifact made from flammable materials, like a lignite grate or something, will burn forever without going out.  This is because artifacts don't suffer wear, so the fire can never destroy them.

I don't know of any object other than zombies that gives off miasma but never rots away.  You could do it by constantly dumping tallow or something, but that's not automated.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 07:30:17 pm »

I have children trying to make artifacts all the time.  I shall have to have them make me a lignite mug!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 08:58:25 pm »

Some materials, like lignite, have an ignition point but no/ a very high melting/boiling point; thus, once set on fire, they are very hard to put out.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 05:54:58 am »

I think lignite objects last about 3 seasons when set on fire, not so bad since most sieges happen during any month but winter
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.