Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: That... Was pretty awesome.  (Read 700 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
That... Was pretty awesome.
« on: February 12, 2011, 06:37:36 pm »

Ettin: RAWR I HAVE YOU NOW MINER!
Me: OH GOSH LAST DITCH ATTEMPT TIME -drafts miner-
Miner: HELLO I WILL KILL YOU NOW
Ettin: Hahaha. WHAT CAN MINER LIKE YO-- OH GOSH MY FLESH
Miner: HURHURHUR

Results:

One dead ettin,

1 Totally unscathed miner

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That... Was pretty awesome.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 06:39:31 pm »

Note that miners fighting ability is heavily influenced by their mining experience. So heavily that if they get some luck (first attacks, little dodging, other targets for the enemy) they can take out real FBs.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 06:40:24 pm »

Note that miners fighting ability is heavily influenced by their mining experience. So heavily that if they get some luck (first attacks, little dodging, other targets for the enemy) they can take out real FBs.

But it was ssooooo cool.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 06:40:57 pm »

This is Dwarf Fortress^^

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 06:47:04 pm »

A pick is a weapon.  Some players prefer to have their military equipped with picks, so that they can become miners in their off time.  You can get legendary miners by having military armed with picks fight weak captured things or danger room, and in reverse, you can quickly armor your miners and have a militia.

Fun Fact: Normal soldiers become Heroes when they reach level 9 in a given weapon skill, and cannot be given civilian duties and don't really leave the military.  Pick-equipped soldiers will not become heroes, and can therefore become a legendary+5 army with civilian duties included.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 06:55:22 pm »

A pick is a weapon.  Some players prefer to have their military equipped with picks, so that they can become miners in their off time.  You can get legendary miners by having military armed with picks fight weak captured things or danger room, and in reverse, you can quickly armor your miners and have a militia.

Armouring miners helps if they meet cavern residents, but there are issues with assigning picks to dwarves with the mining labour attached.

Fun Fact: Normal soldiers become Heroes when they reach level 9 in a given weapon skill, and cannot be given civilian duties and don't really leave the military.  Pick-equipped soldiers will not become heroes, and can therefore become a legendary+5 army with civilian duties included.

In the current version of Dwarf Fortress, you can assign civilian duties to heroes, but they will get a bad thought about it. If you still play 40d though, this looks like a good way to allow high level soldiers to do civilian jobs.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 06:58:04 pm »

Well, I use Dwarf Therapist, and it doesn't let you do so, but that's fine.  I have plenty of nameless masses for my various civilian duties.

I think that the bug with mining and military would be somewhat alleviated by having a miner equip a pick as his weapon, or by making them out of uniform while off duty.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 07:47:10 pm »

Great, you just resolved one of my issues with civilian defense. Time to mine some organics! (KOTOR2 joke)
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 07:56:54 pm »

I assign all my miners to wear helmets anyway. Safety first!
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.