Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Body parts being stuck in fortifications?  (Read 3542 times)

Spork The Slightly Insane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McWrestler cancels attack: sent into orbit
    • View Profile
Body parts being stuck in fortifications?
« on: February 12, 2011, 05:28:05 pm »

Exactly what it says in the title.

Anyways, I had a hallway with fortifications carved into the walls so my dorfs could make gobbo pincushions. I also had a few traps in there for good measure. One of the traps took a goblins arm off, and it went flying into the fortification, and kept alternation between the fortification and severed limb. The dorfs couldn't pull the arm out until I had the fortification deconstructed.

Has any else have this happen to them?

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Body parts being stuck in fortifications?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 05:28:51 pm »

Yes, earlier today.  I had some troll parts on top of the fortifications outside my fortress; I had to deconstruct them in order to dump them.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 05:31:05 pm »

Yep, I had axedwarves take off some gobbo limbs outside my fort, the arms flew up onto the battlements and got stuck.  This may be related to the bug of "moving water pushes things through fortifications and grates" but apply to the "falling" status instead.

If you think about it, it makes sense.  Flying bolts can go through fortifications, flying limbs can as well!

Peaceful Slugman

• Bay Watcher
  • dont axe me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 06:24:39 pm »

Its kind of like how you can get a construction material stuck inside the fortification by building the fortification, going up one z-level, building a floor or wall on the tile directly above the fortification, then deconstructing that construction so that the object used to build that floor or wall falls down "into" the fortification below.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 09:03:20 pm »

Things get stuck inside my fortifications pretty often. I just [d] [h]ide them and forget them completely.

Spork The Slightly Insane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McWrestler cancels attack: sent into orbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 10:49:44 pm »

Oh, I never thought of that. The body parts still rot after a while though.

Steforian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 01:51:43 am »

Just had this happen to me as well, which gave me the idea of channeling out the area above the fortifications to the surface (making the fortifications 'above ground') which should therefore stop the spread of miasma. Then all's you have to do is build floor tiles above them to prevent any baddies from getting in, and then of course 'hiding' the body parts as well.
Also, sorry for the bump, just a thought.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 02:31:11 am »

Yep, I had axedwarves take off some gobbo limbs outside my fort, the arms flew up onto the battlements and got stuck.  This may be related to the bug of "moving water pushes things through fortifications and grates" but apply to the "falling" status instead.

If you think about it, it makes sense.  Flying bolts can go through fortifications, flying limbs can as well!
'The severed arm strikes the dwarf in the head, tearing the skull trough the brain and tearing the brain!'
'Urist McMarksdwarf has been struck down!'

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 09:39:10 am »

Oh, I never thought of that. The body parts still rot after a while though.

What are decorations for?

The only time really I have quarrels is when an entire lump of civilian corpse lands in one :|

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 11:15:10 am »

This also happens with trees. I deliberately tried to get many goblin corpses and limbs hanging from random trees in front of my fortress. Dwarf version of a Christmas tree.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 11:22:31 am »

With effective scaffolding and chute placement, it would be possible to mount goblin corpses on top of trees. It would be interesting to note the damage effects of falling on a tree...

No science of this has been done yet.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 11:23:21 am »

You can probably wash them out since water will occasionally push things through fortifications.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.