Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Epic Crysis 2 Fail  (Read 9004 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Crysis 2 Fail
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2011, 06:31:36 pm »

metro 2033 got some good graphics (shit my desktop is stuggling at max, and i got dual 580s and 295 for Physx).

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2011, 07:08:46 pm »

I swear to god, nobody can do stealth. I took out a patrol, they were all walking in close formation by a base. I sprayed and headshotted them all. That was 4 guys, killed in the space of 2 seconds, outside a base, sprayed by an assault rifle.

I then went on to silently kill the entire base. Nobody realised what was going on.

Okay, that is a completely different experience from what I remember.
The only memory i remember properly is me stealthing near a base, slowly approaching a lone guard on the outskirts. I aim with a silenced gun and shoot him in the head and suddenly the whole base is alerted when there was no way anyone else could have noticed.
After that I though fuck this and went guns blazing.
Note that i played it unpatched if that changes anything.

Pretty much, you just can't do stealth well. Its ok. Nobody will blame you for blowing everything up. I did that in my second playthrough and it was FAR more fun.
I have played a fair bit of stealthy games so I'm inclined to blame shitty AI rather than my skills.
I didnt even play it through, stopped when the aliens appeared and never looked at it again.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2011, 07:15:37 pm »

And oh wait, not good for him because he's still illegally downloading games and music and acting like buying it later makes it okay.

No it's not okay legally, but morally I don't see anything wrong with it. And the last I checked, laws are supposed to imitate our morals in general.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2011, 08:00:06 pm »

The fact that publishing companies have more lobbyists than pirates do might have something to do with it.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2011, 08:18:00 pm »

I swear to god, nobody can do stealth. I took out a patrol, they were all walking in close formation by a base. I sprayed and headshotted them all. That was 4 guys, killed in the space of 2 seconds, outside a base, sprayed by an assault rifle.

I then went on to silently kill the entire base. Nobody realised what was going on.

Okay, that is a completely different experience from what I remember.
The only memory i remember properly is me stealthing near a base, slowly approaching a lone guard on the outskirts. I aim with a silenced gun and shoot him in the head and suddenly the whole base is alerted when there was no way anyone else could have noticed.
After that I though fuck this and went guns blazing.
Note that i played it unpatched if that changes anything.

Pretty much, you just can't do stealth well. Its ok. Nobody will blame you for blowing everything up. I did that in my second playthrough and it was FAR more fun.
I have played a fair bit of stealthy games so I'm inclined to blame shitty AI rather than my skills.
I didnt even play it through, stopped when the aliens appeared and never looked at it again.

I think there was a later patch to improve the AI problems, so I suspect you guys were dealing with entirely different beasts.

As far as the leak goes, I don't think Crytek can blame this one on software piracy in general.  A leak of that size with that info means they have one very disgruntled employee somewhere.  Really a shame, though.

KG

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2011, 08:27:59 pm »

Wait. what?
Why would you spend 90$ on a 5 hour expansion with no multiplayer?
He might be Australian. I understand it's pretty standard for a game to be ~$100 there. I don't know if that's part of a conversion rate, or if they're just being violently fucked up the ass by shipping rates/as revenge against their batshit government and its obscene love of censorship.

On topic, good for whoever released it. If they catch him, they'll make drawing and quartering look humane, but he still took a stand for what's really important: thumbing your nose at EA.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2011, 10:05:43 pm »

Somebody on a different forum pointed out: The main effect of this leak will be to exaggerate the effects of the game's quality. If it's an awesome game, this means we'll get a month (or however long it is until release) of people telling us how awesome the game will be, and we'll all buy it at release. If it sucks, we'll be perfectly aware of that fact by the time release rolls around, and it'll flop harder than a fat man on the highest diving board.

Of course, judging from what I've heard of the XBox demo, I'm not exactly expecting top-tier quality here. It's been said before, but it bears repeating: if you can't get your software to work on a single piece of hardware, what makes you think it'll work on the million and one different PC configurations? Sure, you can argue that the Crytek engine was never designed for consoles, and admittedly Crysis 1 built a reputation on killing PCs back in the day, but if Crysis 2 doesn't run properly on a specific piece of hardware for which it was intentionally designed, the odds of it running any better on your average PC aren't good. (Especially since 'average PC' these days means "people with laptops", not "people with Sandy Bridge CPUs and $400 video cards.  ;) )

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2011, 07:41:22 pm »

Crytek CEO; Cevat Yerli
"While we are deeply disappointed by these events, we are all completely overwhelmed by the support we have received from you", wrote Yerli referring to the leak. "Despite this unfortunate incident, we can assure you that PC gaming is very important to us and will always be important to Crytek in the future. We are all still focused on delivering a great gaming experience to our true and honest fans. I hope you will enjoy Crysis 2 on PC, as we think it is our best PC game yet!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUXlCH1stNc

wizardsmagic004

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2011, 06:58:29 pm »

I don't care if they release this for PC, they won't sell many copies due to the demanding system requirements. Although the computer I have now only gets around 12fps in the demo, and about 5fps in the beta I still wouldn't buy it once I build my new system, the game was boring. How about taking off that annoying motion blur? It's way to much!

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2011, 09:03:25 pm »

Hardware requirements too much? This will sell loads because its on consoles too, and all the PC gamers (like me!) who like it will urge the console owners to get it.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2011, 09:19:03 pm »

Wait. what?
Why would you spend 90$ on a 5 hour expansion with no multiplayer?
He might be Australian. I understand it's pretty standard for a game to be ~$100 there. I don't know if that's part of a conversion rate, or if they're just being violently fucked up the ass by shipping rates/as revenge against their batshit government and its obscene love of censorship.
1 AUD = 1.008 USD. So the Australian dollar is worth almost a cent more. Yeah that's pretty ridiculous.

Also, it COULD be that Crysis 2 on the Xbox is just a shitty console port. Sure, you hardly ever see that any more these days, but it really could just be a factor of Crysis 2 being made for the PC and a lot less effort spent making it work on the Xbox. Also the Xbox 360 is getting old now, in computer terms.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2011, 03:23:43 am »

I can't recall which site right now (I just woke up) but I remember reading that it was designed for consoles
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2011, 05:50:00 am »

Why are people being so gentle on Crysis 2? It's a console port, plan and simple.

I find it cute that crytec thought people believed Crysis was a game, when clearly it wasn't anything but a tech demo.
The orginal Crysis was only popular because of the hardware it needed to run it. Due to that it became a wankfest for hardware fans. It also became some strange "right of passage" for pc gamers when they got a system strong enough to run crysis.

Throwing all this out the window, they decided to make another bland shooter with a few gimmicks trying to hold it together. All in the predictable atempt to make Call of Duty: Nanosuit edition.

Things that make me never want to touch the game compared to the first one:
Change of location: Yay, New York. Like every game ever made. I can't wait to walk around some lienar corridors of some overpopulated hellhole.
Worse Graphics: Remeber when sequals had to have more features than the first?
No Directx-11: It works on 9, seriously? Apparently it will be "patched in", sure.
No Adavanced Graphic Settings: Graphic card sucks with shadows? Too bad.

If you enjoy the game that's fine, it's your $80. I'm just sick of companies being so damn unimpressive, games _are_ an artist medium but it's rarely treated as such. Anyway i'm sure all the consumer whores will lap it up so in the end every single one of these words are wasted.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2011, 03:16:14 pm »

I find it cute that crytec thought people believed Crysis was a game, when clearly it wasn't anything but a tech demo.
The orginal Crysis was only popular because of the hardware it needed to run it. Due to that it became a wankfest for hardware fans. It also became some strange "right of passage" for pc gamers when they got a system strong enough to run crysis.

I actually found Crysis to be enjoyable, at least in moments. When you're scouting out an area and then wrecking a village of dudes, punching holes through walls, etc it's at it's best.

So of course Crysis 2 removed those parts, because ????

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2011, 06:29:05 pm »

I honestly tried to enjoy that bit but the physics were so wonky, I'd hit a wall and get crushed by a chicken. I don't know how many times in the game I died by walking past/on a barrel and just dropping dead for no reason.
I'd agree that scouting the bases was enjoyable, reminded me a far amount of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series where you had to plan your attacks and the best routes.

It was pretty and it's innovation was in it's graphics (which I don't believe can hold up a game alone) but atleast it was some innovation.
Crysis 2 has no innovation at all, just remaking the same game we're seeing over and over again (with less features even) to make "safe money".
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6