Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Epic Crysis 2 Fail  (Read 9017 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Crysis 2 Fail
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 06:19:07 pm »

I doubt it. If anything this would have Crytek lose hype/sales, when people download the leak and find that the game wasn't all it was made up to be, and/or play the leak instead of the actual game.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 06:20:11 pm »

A similar tought occured to me aswell, it's really not that simple for someone to just take all this stuff and release it on the net without being noticed, so it's either a very very evil way of marketing or just making up another reason for why the game fails (if it does)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 06:22:25 pm »

It could be a disillusioned employee; were I so inclined I could have stolen all sorts of code and data when I worked at EA, as I was allowed to plug my personal PSP into my thin client and my PS3 build box when I wanted to recharge, via USB.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 06:27:53 pm »

It could be a computer-wit janitor :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 06:29:00 pm »

Quote from: cpeninja, from the RPS comments
Morality nothing – this isn’t a good thing for Crytek. The “I just want to try it” bullshit is the biggest lie told to oneself since “I’ll go to the gym tomorrow.”

I like this guy, he knows what's up.  As for the leak itself, just another nail in the PC as a Gaming Platform coffin.  We'll still have indies, of course, but honestly they're just as Sturgeony as AAA games.

Quote from: mittortz from RPS comments
I’ll be the first here to say that I’m going to download it. If I thought that my personal download would affect Crytek’s opinion of the PC platform, then I wouldn’t – but it’ll be the actual sales (or lack thereof) that’ll influence their future support.
And I’m going to buy it also. If anyone thinks that’s equivalent to saying “I’ll go the gym tomorrow”, then you should know that I’ve made numerous successful gym schedules and carried them out over the years. Besides that, I would feel like crap and give up PC gaming if I didn’t end up buying it. I don’t get enthusiastic about platforms and then not support them, it just doesn’t cohere with my philosophical logic.
And yeah, I’m also one of those that pirates a ton of music but then goes out and buys whatever I like (which ends up not only being more than most people, but also more than I would without the ability to pirate). I won’t justify piracy for the masses, because most definitely don’t do what I do, but I will justify it for myself. Or at least allow it.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 07:07:14 pm »

Good for him, and since he represents everyone there's no problem.

Oh wait, he doesn't represent everyone.

And oh wait, not good for him because he's still illegally downloading games and music and acting like buying it later makes it okay.

EDIT:  Oh, I forgot.  How many times does this fucking discussion have to take place?
Shoes...

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 07:15:45 pm »

I think this was an EA thing. No one working in crytek would like this to happen, but I can see why someone at EA would like it (internal competition).

To bad for crytek, they didnt deserve this, but on the other hand, very bad response, blaming the comunity and piracy for this, when its totally their fault.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 07:19:09 pm »

Maybe he doesn't care about the law, because he believes it's an unjust law.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:20:50 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 07:21:21 pm »

!!&!!

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 07:54:06 pm »

It could be a disillusioned employee; were I so inclined I could have stolen all sorts of code and data when I worked at EA, as I was allowed to plug my personal PSP into my thin client and my PS3 build box when I wanted to recharge, via USB.

Hang on, you worked for EA before? If that's true, you know what should've been done.  :P
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 08:02:04 pm »

To be fair, the build released is only barely playable if you're lucky, with all sorts of lockups and missing things, apperently intentionally downrezzed audio files, etc

.... from what i hear its only the x64 version of the game that the audio is messed up like that.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 08:23:31 pm »

I find it funny that Crytek blames "Piracy" when this was clearly an inside job.
Note that this is piracy (Someone obviously replicated copyrighted material and handed it over to people without permission from the copyright holder). You can't blame piracy for this, you can blame someone for committing piracy.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 09:51:44 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI

I totally agree with this guy. I think people just believe too much of the stuff they hear on tv, and god knows tv hates internet.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 11:16:58 pm »

The best case scenario is that they just change the master key, and when the game is released give out polished copies of all the tools. I can see the game being competitive with the source engine if they do that, modwise that is.

Worst case, and far more likely, they change the master key, implement some far more "secure" form of antipiracy measure, and implement even more anti piracy measures against the tools that were released.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 11:42:07 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI

That's cool.  I might look up one of his books, now.

I think it'd be interesting to see if there were a difference in mediums, though.  Books and video games tend to attract different people (With exceptions, of course).  Would the differences in audience affect video game sales the same way they affected Neil Gaiman's book?  I could easily download and read books for free on my computer, or on an e-reader, but I prefer having the paper in front of me and getting away from the LED screens for a while.  The most I've done is glance at a couple of books that I was considering buying.

Many computer games don't even come with anything physical anymore, so the same businesses that sell the games are discouraging that feeling of having something solid to go along with your purchase.  Why should people want to buy a game at all when downloading it illegally is just as easy as buying and downloading it off of the company's website?

I've never illegally downloaded a game, and I don't plan to, but I have to wonder if Gaiman's thoughts could be applied to a medium so different as video games.  I wish someone were trusting enough with the community at large to try it out.

I still think the sales lost from Piracy is marginal - Most of the people who download stuff illegally wouldn't buy it legitimately in the first place.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6