Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Epic Crysis 2 Fail  (Read 9022 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Epic Crysis 2 Fail
« on: February 12, 2011, 05:23:18 pm »

So the story circulating on a few sites now is that a devbuild of Crysis 2 for PC has leaked online. That would be bad enough for the company surely, but here's the kicker: It also came with the master authentication key, all of their dev tools, and even stuff like their network install scripts, SVN data, and their Photoshop license keys. OUCH. This is all 49 days before the planned release.

On the plus side, with the tools available that wouldn't be released normally, this could stand to be the most modded game in history.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/02/11/an-actual-crisis-crysis-2-leaked/ A link

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Crysis 2 Fail
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 05:36:11 pm »

What's a master authentication key?

Wonder how it happened, too. Last thing like this I recall was when some hacker somehow copied Half-Life 2's source off of Valve's computers. Although back then it turned out Newell was lying through his teeth when he said it'd be released 2-3 months later since it was actually in alpha stage, so none of the things there really helped anyone.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 05:39:57 pm »

Well I guess now we'll soon know whether or not Crysis 2's PC version is just a console port.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 05:43:12 pm »

I find it funny that Crytek blames "Piracy" when this was clearly an inside job.

Still, sucks for Crytek; I hope they'll still make PC ports after this. Or does this mean no Crysis 3? :(

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 05:44:45 pm »

Clearly? You're assuming too much.

It also came with the master authentication key

If that's what I think it is, that can't be good. Of course, they could just change it. It's not like the game is released yet, so there shouldn't be many keys in existence.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 05:50:15 pm »

What's a master authentication key?
You know how any smart programmer puts in a back door?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 05:53:30 pm »

this key is the cypher on which all real serials are based, in this case. So unless they manage to change it before it hits retail, pirates can get the game in multiplayer without buying.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 05:55:18 pm »

This is both awful and awesome at the same time.

I wonder how Crytek will react to this.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 05:57:12 pm »

Clearly? You're assuming too much.
If it was just the game then I'd probably think the same.

But an almost complete game (Every level + multiplayer), devtools, net scripts, and all that other stuff over a month before the game is released?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 05:58:02 pm »

I'm really saddened by the fact that Crysis was originally a PC exclusive and now the sequel is a console port :(
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 05:58:41 pm »

Quote from: cpeninja, from the RPS comments
Morality nothing – this isn’t a good thing for Crytek. The “I just want to try it” bullshit is the biggest lie told to oneself since “I’ll go to the gym tomorrow.”

I like this guy, he knows what's up.  As for the leak itself, just another nail in the PC as a Gaming Platform coffin.  We'll still have indies, of course, but honestly they're just as Sturgeony as AAA games.
Shoes...

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 06:12:06 pm »

As if the gaming industry needs more justification to blame it's own declining market on piracy.

Maybe the companies should look inwards and find out the true issues facing them instead of scapegoating the almighty 'pirate' hyper-syndicate which is tearing down not only music market and video game market but also the entire world, right?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 06:13:53 pm »

Being skeptic here, could this be orchestrated to create a hype among the community just prior to release date? What's been released as a leak could've been a completely different version to the release version.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 06:18:01 pm »

If it was, they wouldn't have released as much as they did.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 06:18:38 pm »

To be fair, the build released is only barely playable if you're lucky, with all sorts of lockups and missing things, apperently intentionally downrezzed audio files, etc
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6