Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Epic Crysis 2 Fail  (Read 9003 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Epic Crysis 2 Fail
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2011, 08:53:46 am »

I thought Crysis was pretty decent, actually.

The suit gave you a few different ways to play. You could be stealthy, a walking tank, a melee monster, and you could transition between these thing seamlessly. I remember lots of running in to kick ass, fading away to hide in stealth and ganking my pursuers. Also lots of massive jumping on to building to flank people.

It was OK, and the later alien zero-g levels were atmospheric. The ending was fucking terrible, but what FPS end boss isn't?

Crysis wasn't bad, IMO. Not revolutionary, but the suit mechanics were decent.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2011, 09:11:18 am »

I found the suit options and the rather big levels to be pretty neat and fun, since really nothing beats running around punching shit in the air or playing a ninja with a silenced gun, and you know, i found it more realistic than other shooters since you actually have a good explanation for why are you healing up normally after just reiciveing a missle to the face.Also weapon customization alltough limited was pretty nice
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2011, 10:09:16 am »

I thought the first 2/3s of the game was well done. The carrier level just didn't seem to flow as nicely as the first few levels. Personally, I think they took a lot of time designing the first few levels, realized they didn't have enough time, and rushed the last few levels. Because if you notice, the last 2 or three levels are pure on-the-rails, unlike the first 2 or 3, which are completely amazing FPS levels.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2011, 10:12:36 am »

The ending was fucking terrible, but what FPS end boss isn't?

Portal.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2011, 11:32:41 am »

Doom 2
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2011, 01:29:51 pm »

I really loved Crysis, the powers made it feel like the first realistic fps in a while, and the stealth was seamlessly mixed with run and gun style. The AI was lacking; it would have been awesome if the AI actually reacted to things (like Arkham Asylum style, with enemies freaking out as you take people out one by one).  There were also some bad level sequences, especially all the ones involving omniscient helicopters, and the levels after you leave the mountain weren't great at all.
Still, the game mechanics themselves were excellent, and thus I'd expect Crysis 2 to improve upon the weakpoints of the first, and hopefully that's the case.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2011, 03:23:01 pm »

My favorite part of Crysis was the ability to improvise - particularly with the destructible buildings :D

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2011, 03:37:31 pm »

The AI was lacking; it would have been awesome if the AI actually reacted to things
Oh, they sure reacted. Shoot one and everyone knew where you were, which really made it pointless to use invisibility.
Meh. only good thing with crysis was the graphics.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2011, 03:40:24 pm »

The AI was lacking; it would have been awesome if the AI actually reacted to things
Oh, they sure reacted. Shoot one and everyone knew where you were, which really made it pointless to use invisibility.
If you move after cloaking, they won't know where you are. Just so you know.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2011, 04:42:40 pm »

Right. Still not possible to take out a base without alerting everyone due to them korean Hiveminds.
I played at release so my memory is a bit vague, but shouldn't a silenced gun be able to kill em off without everyone knowing? The suit was just gimmicky because the Poor AI.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2011, 04:53:13 pm »

It's possible to kill a few but the bastards just bunch up in big groups that you can't take out with a single shot
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2011, 04:57:43 pm »

It's possible to kill a few but the bastards just bunch up in big groups that you can't take out with a single shot
Sure you can, you just need to keep moving and use cover to your advantage.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2011, 05:03:38 pm »

Sure you can, you just need to keep moving and use cover to your advantage.

Or exploit the fact that the 'hivemind' only kicks in if they survive. Shoot 'em in the face for a one-shot, silenced kill, and nobody else will be any the wiser.

Which gets pretty freakin' ridiculous. I cleared one base by hiding in the corner of a building and headshotting every soldier that curiously poked his head through the front door. By the time I was finished, there were so many bodies piled at the doorway that one soldier died to a physics glitch, attempting to climb over the bodies of his deceased allies. They just kept coming, one by one, until I cleared out the entire base.

To explain their line of thinking:

"Hmm... there's 8 of our soldiers stacked up outside this shack!"

"Interesting. Lemme take a look..."

*muffled gunshot*

"Hey, what happened? Oh no, you're dead! I wonder where the shooter could be. Hmm... maybe that shack. Lemme take a look..."
::)

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2011, 06:01:29 pm »

hahaha yeah

what I didnt like of the game was the fact there was no bullet piercing wall mechanics. So you could take cover behind a 5 mm tick wood planck, and be completely safe.

The suit gameplay was super fun for me. It gave you the ability to roleplay whatever stile you liked. A stealty ninja, a rambo, or your vanilla doom guy.

What I liked best was the setting, specially when you are on a tank and a piece of mountain falls down to uncover a spaceship, and then the inside of said spaceship was so awesome, specially the fast speed tube.

Oh, and obviously the graphics. To this day, its hard to see a better looking game when this one is on max settings

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2011, 06:30:39 pm »

Right. Still not possible to take out a base without alerting everyone due to them korean Hiveminds.
I played at release so my memory is a bit vague, but shouldn't a silenced gun be able to kill em off without everyone knowing? The suit was just gimmicky because the Poor AI.

I swear to god, nobody can do stealth. I took out a patrol, they were all walking in close formation by a base. I sprayed and headshotted them all. That was 4 guys, killed in the space of 2 seconds, outside a base, sprayed by an assault rifle.

I then went on to silently kill the entire base. Nobody realised what was going on.

Pretty much, you just can't do stealth well. Its ok. Nobody will blame you for blowing everything up. I did that in my second playthrough and it was FAR more fun.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6