Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How deep can someone drop without dying?  (Read 1241 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How deep can someone drop without dying?
« on: February 12, 2011, 05:03:12 pm »

I want to drop goblins into my dungeons of doom, and instead of stairs, just pit them and let them fall in.
I don't want them to die on the fall, that's no fun.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
Re: How deep can someone drop without dying?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 05:08:05 pm »

I'd say 5 z-levels max.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 05:08:27 pm »

To be safe, drop them no more than 2 z-levels.

Any more and they'll receive injuries that could most likely reduce fight quality (e.g. broken legs, unusable weapon-wielding-limbs)

I once accidentally dropped a miner 1 z-level. It died because i had no hospital and it took some damage.
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 05:09:28 pm »

Just had a peasant survive 3 with with broken legs and fractured guts.  Never seen a goblin survive a 5 fall.  I'd say 3, maybe 4 if you want fewer survivors.  This will make them very crippled though.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 05:16:26 pm »

You could just try throwing down enough to cushion the falls of the ones you like, the problem is if the designated cushion ones bounce away or die on impact.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 05:18:44 pm »

You could just try throwing down enough to cushion the falls of the ones you like, the problem is if the designated cushion ones bounce away or die on impact.

Dwarf Fortress - Goblin Corpse Pillows Since 2006

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 05:22:23 pm »

Testing has confirmed that dwarves will survive much greater falls if they land on a live puppy. So if they all fall down the same square, the first goblin to survive the fall should act as a cushion to the goblins following him. But it's pretty hard to make them all fall down the same square. A better bet is to fill the pit with unused kittens, they will survive even if they are dumped from the top.

Ninja'd x2 Combo!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 05:26:42 pm »

Look up the thread of "dwarven orbital insertion" or something similar.  I think it's "troops over 30 Z levels" more specifically.  We discussed how best to drop things from great heights without dying.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 06:04:21 pm »

I once had a dwarf survive a five z-level fall. He passed the rest of his life in coma.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 06:23:00 pm »

Yep, your best bet is the thorough and systematic use of puppy-cushions. Plus, they're reusable.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 06:26:29 pm »

There's also been arguments in favor of the rapid bridge drop.  Essentially, bridges on every level (or two, for slightly injured occupants) that rapidly pulse open in sequence, as dictated by a repeater setup.  Usually requires a cistern or river for optimal performance.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 06:57:49 pm »

A 9z fall is the absolute maximim height from which you can survive a fall. 10z is instant death and exploding. Mind you, 9z doesn't exactly leave much chance for survival either, what with the brolen bones and punctured organs and all.
くコ:彡

Darkren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 07:18:06 pm »

Are upright spear traps good cushions, too?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 07:38:22 pm »

A series of retracting bridges in the drop chute, set to alternate, will work to get something to the bottom of any height with no damage.  This can be accomplished as simply as linking all the odd bridges to one lever and even bridges to another, or as complicated as setting up some kind of repeater which will trigger the bridges in an alternating manner.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 07:39:31 pm »

Well, they'd stop your fall, but they'd also skewer some of your giblets.

On the subject of dropping things down pits, I have a bronze colossus in a cage. Startled the fuck outta me, I know. I have a 4 z-level drop onto soil from a project that didn't work out quite right, if I construct the collo's cage next to that pit and then assign him to it, would the fall kill him?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always
Pages: [1] 2