Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pressure plates & supports.  (Read 755 times)

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
Pressure plates & supports.
« on: February 12, 2011, 04:36:27 pm »

Hello!

I'm planning on doing a mega fun FUN construction, but i already encountered two problems (in the planning stage.)

1 ; Is there any way for pressure plates to 'close' linked objects? Wiki suggests that there is none, but it doesnt hurt to ask, as it has been wrong before.

2 ; Second question (if the above was answered "YES") : Is there any way to re-build roof supports (that were previously retracted / removed) via pressure plates?
If pillars cannot 'recover', then is it possible to support a roof with raised bridges? Anything?

The questions may seem crazy, but here's what my plan was : A giant tower-fort which stands on a few dozen pillars, with each supporting pillar linked to many pressure plates, and each pressure plate linked to many pillars. Walking accross pressure plate #1 would, for example, remove pillar 1, 3, 8, 11. Plate #2 would remove 2 and 9, but bring back 3 and 11 because these were removed before.. etc. eventualy the puzzle would be solved by unknowing nobles that walk on the plates, all pillars would be removed and tower would collapse, killing everyone inside (fun!)

Bonus points if Hammerer would be the one to doom everyone

I did a little searching, but got mixed results, and since it will take some time to construct, i would like to know if its even possible before starting.

Regards
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 04:58:58 pm by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Pressure plates & supports.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 06:11:06 pm »

Not possible.  When a support is triggered, it deconstructs to its constituent parts, and bridges unfortunately do not support anything.

However, you could achieve a somewhat similar situation by using various dwarven computing devices set up so that once the pressure plate puzzle was solved your support is triggered, ending in the same result.  I leave the actual design up to you, but I am certain it is possible, you just need to spend a little time studying the implementation of the various logic functions possible.  I suggest looking up dwarven computing on the wiki and looking at related user pages.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 06:14:42 pm by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 08:37:55 pm »

Hello!

I'm planning on doing a mega fun FUN construction, but i already encountered two problems (in the planning stage.)

1 ; Is there any way for pressure plates to 'close' linked objects? Wiki suggests that there is none, but it doesnt hurt to ask, as it has been wrong before.

Yes.  Combine this thing to hold a certain amount of water on top of a pressure plate.  To make it easier to reset, combine it with one of these that triggers the gear that supplies power to that other assembly.  I use it to hold my drawbridges closed when invaders trip one of the pressure plates.

2 ; Second question (if the above was answered "YES") : Is there any way to re-build roof supports (that were previously retracted / removed) via pressure plates?
If pillars cannot 'recover', then is it possible to support a roof with raised bridges? Anything?

That part isn't possible, sorry.  Supports are destroyed when you trigger them, bridges give no support.  What would actually happen is that your supports would collapse one-by-one until the fort was doomed.

You could, I suppose, build enemy-triggered plates deeper and deeper inside your fortress, such that when the entire place was overrun, the enemies (and your remaining dwarves) would all be destroyed in one FPS-killing explosion.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 07:11:45 am »

However, you could achieve a somewhat similar situation by using various dwarven computing devices

With what? I have no idea what computing devices are in DF!

You could, I suppose, build enemy-triggered plates deeper and deeper inside your fortress

The tower would be the place for nobles, so what would happen is : I open the doors to the fortress wide open, hide all my dwarves so that enemies can press all the plates but noone important is endangered.. and after the nobles die in a horrifying awesome collapsplosion, i flood the world with magma.. (no fortress is truly dwarven, until you flood the world with magma!).. while entertaining, i've done this before

Back to the drawing board it seems, but i'll visit wiki to read about the computing devices   :o
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:13:35 am by Stworca »

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 11:57:52 am »

However, you could achieve a somewhat similar situation by using various dwarven computing devices

Link your pressure plates to floodgates or drawbridges arranged in series between a water source and a water-triggered pressure plate which pops the supports. When the pressure plates have been touched in such a way as to create an open path between the water source and the final pressure plate, water will flow through and trigger the collapse.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 12:12:33 pm »

Will the floodgates close again when the repeatable pressure stone has nothing on it?

If yes, then all i will have to figure out is a way to drain the water every once in a while.. which isnt hard at all, and it would.. *gasp* work!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 12:55:46 pm »

If you had read my whole post, you would have noticed that I mention the existence of a WHOLE SECTION OF THE WIKI THAT IS DEDICATED TO COMPUTING...

Now go study up and get to work  ;D
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 12:59:33 pm »

I've built something like this fluid repeater recently, and while it does function (opens drawbridge when depth reaches 7, closes when the water flows off), it doesn't seem particularly stable, and will occasionally fail to trigger the drawbridge even when the depth is at 7. This may be a flaw in my design or some bug that I am unaware of. I haven't actually caught it in the act of failing since it seems pretty random, so I am still not sure what the cause is.

However, I found a pretty easy fix. Just link the drawbridge to an external lever and it seems to reset the device perfectly.