Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McDwarf(s) cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Job Item misplaced x infinity.  (Read 1687 times)

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm getting this spamming my log and I've also noticed a huge drop in FPS and lots of freezing/stuttering. What the hell have they all misplaced so badly? Every dwarf seems to be complaining about this. It's really annoying as I'm missing important announcements (A miner died and I have no clue how now!).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

You can tweak this in the DF/init/announcements/txt file, change what gets shown and what doesn't.  Or turn job cancels off entirely vie o - x menu in-game.

It's likely something lame, like someone went to store food at the same time someone decided to eat it, or store a stone that someone wanted to make a coffin with.  It means, vaguely "I thought the item was here and now it's not." for whatever reason.

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm getting it like 10 times a second. The log is going crazy.

Interloper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did you bury all of your dead dwarves? You may have a poltergeist.

I was pitting a bunch of migrants, and I had several dozen ghosts running amok. I was also getting the misplaced item spam like crazy. I finally buried all of the corpses and put all of the ghosts to rest. (It took 90+ coffins), and the misplaced item spam ended. It seemed to begin again once I pitted the next batch of 20+ migrants (and they rose), and then ended again when I buried them.

Check out the ghost entry on the wiki. Secretive poltergeists hide/move items. I think the "misplaced item" spam is the result. The game "hides" the item from the dwarf, resulting in a job cancellation due to the dwarf being unable to find the item.

One more thing, I didn't see an entry on the unit list for a poltergeist, just forlorn, restless, and murderous haunts. I don't think poltergeists show up on the unit list.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

This happens to me a lot with burrows.  A dwarf wants to store an item in a stockpile, but either the item or the stockpile is not in the burrow, so he cancels the job ... then does it again and again forever.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile

I'm getting it like 10 times a second. The log is going crazy.

Pause. Hit 'j'. Find "Store Item in Stockpile" on the jobs list. Hit 'v' on that job. This will tell you what the item is.