Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spear Usage  (Read 1881 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Spear Usage
« on: February 12, 2011, 04:00:42 pm »

My soldier seems to have trouble using spears.  She keeps striking with it, instead of stabbing.  She is, as I type this, wailing on a blind cave ogre with her spear, bruising him all over.  She was only able to do this after the ogre because exhausted wailing on her.

Do shields stop spear usage?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spear Usage
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 04:06:26 pm »

Oh, haha, somehow the spear got forbidden... no idea how that happened!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 04:09:22 pm »

Ok, can confirm now, soldiers cannot equip a spear and a shield, and will prefer the shield instead, leaving them unarmed but able to batter the enemy.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 04:19:04 pm »

Odd, if you dwarf is at least size 47,500 (average adult size is 60,000) it should be able to use a spear and shield at the same time since that the minimum size to use a spear one handed. You might have a small dwarf though, check the dwarf's description for things like "short" or "incredibly skinny".
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 04:22:26 pm »

"She has a thin frame but is loaded with muscle and layers of fat", plus she's able to use the shield with one hand already.  I should have specified, that I had two shields equipped, and when the second one was added, the spear was removed.  My bad on clarification.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 04:25:23 pm »

i constantly have dwarves killing ambushes with shields.
well, they killed more with weapons, but shield seemed quite prominent among them, considering it's just shield.

edit: two shields:great coverage, dwarfy, and lethal.lol

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 04:27:54 pm »

Not as lethal as a blade.  My commander fought a blind cave ogre, and the ogre managed to escape because she couldn't bring the damn thing down!  Bruised and abused, but still off the map edge.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 05:59:21 pm »

i train my soldiers super strong, with things like manual pumps and so.
and then some custom workshop come along with the mod i play, genesis, to train shield use, as an alternative to danger room, which is somewhat an abuse to game mechanics.
and i equip my dwarf with metal shields, eventually red steel, a better version of steel basically.

yeah i witness many fractures of enemy bones.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 06:11:00 pm »

I'm thinking about modding shields a bit, to give them a modest blunt attack.  Not a good one, understandably, since they're made for steel with me, but hopefully better than a "strike" attack.

Will this train shield user or hammer?

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 06:30:28 pm »

afaik shield user is raised normally when using a shield to block an attack.
so bashing it, no. according to the wiki, shield attack is considered using miscellaneous object user skill.

but well, a *spiked round shield* with proper attack type is cool, with actually the spike smashing and denting a goblin's face.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 04:14:07 am »

Ok, can confirm now, soldiers cannot equip a spear and a shield, and will prefer the shield instead, leaving them unarmed but able to batter the enemy.
I can confirm that dwarven soldiers most assuredly can use both a spear and shield at the same time.  I have four so equipped now, that just repelled a goblin ambush (I think the post I read a couple days ago is right ... the elves bring them).  I also have four equipped with shield and training spear (which, btw, makes killing stuff nigh impossible, but does allow them to gain experience in spear  ??? ).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 04:16:56 am »

You'll notice I corrected this post, it's TWO shields and a spear, that seems to cause trouble.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 04:19:48 am »

You'll notice I corrected this post, it's TWO shields and a spear, that seems to cause trouble.
Ah, no, I hadn't.  I haven't run into that issue before.  I do know, however, that my speardwarves will occasionally shield bash while dicing goblin livers and lungs. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 04:20:11 am »

I would imagine so...unless you have 3 armed dwarves?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 04:31:48 am »

I would imagine so...unless you have 3 armed dwarves?

...now i want 3 armed dwarves.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: [1] 2