Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven language  (Read 4906 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven language
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 08:50:40 pm »

Well, not having a way to conjugate or pluralize most words wouldn't be so bad if they had more numbers in their language...  They can't count higher than three, apparently.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 08:59:48 pm »

Well, not having a way to conjugate or pluralize most words wouldn't be so bad if they had more numbers in their language...  They can't count higher than three, apparently.

Well, dwarves are probably illiterate, so they don't count much. Hell, the only ones that count much are bookkeepers, and they just do it in their heads.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 09:21:02 pm »

You have
(Front Compound)(Rear Compound) (first adjective)(second adjective)(the{*2})(hyphen{opt})({*2}x{opt[see 'the]}) (of x)
So, 1st word is always 1-2 compound word regarding the subject, and is verbs for planning or already done (that I can tell). The 2nd word is 1-4 compound that is followed by the, and is usually nouns and adjectives. The 3rd word is of and then usually a plural noun or a acting verb.

As such, andux's translation was wrong.

It's "Language the un-decency of speaking."
Because of sentence structure, this is translated into english more like
"Undecent is the language to speak with."

But I'm poor at languages, so I can't tell. I also have been freely violating this in giving people words too, because...

... It just isn't developed enough to make a real language we could converse with one another over.

I can think of a way it could be, but it requires a dedicated language group, submitting words to toady and getting them approved.

It applies to all of Toadyone's languages too, not just dorf.

(Edit: Fresh Prince of Bel-Air opening line. Read it, guess what it means, then look at the spoiler. See how well you do!
Spoiler: bel-air thazor bom (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: inspired line (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 09:39:53 pm by Kogan Loloklam »
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 09:36:16 pm »

... It just isn't developed enough to make a real language we could converse with one another over.

I can think of a way it could be, but it requires a dedicated language group, submitting words to toady and getting them approved.

It applies to all of Toadyone's languages too, not just dorf.
That's the best idea I've heard in a while! :D
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 10:12:49 pm »

This calls for... A FORUM GAME!

bardumil naskìrar âm!
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 11:18:13 pm »

You have
(Front Compound)(Rear Compound) (first adjective)(second adjective)(the{*2})(hyphen{opt})({*2}x{opt[see 'the]}) (of x)
So, 1st word is always 1-2 compound word regarding the subject, and is verbs for planning or already done (that I can tell). The 2nd word is 1-4 compound that is followed by the, and is usually nouns and adjectives. The 3rd word is of and then usually a plural noun or a acting verb.

This reminds me a little bit of kennings, which I find pleasingly dwarfy. I wonder if this is intentional on Toady's part?
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out
Pages: 1 [2]