Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RE: GCS Gets!  (Read 500 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
RE: GCS Gets!
« on: February 12, 2011, 02:44:52 pm »

It happened.  I captures TWO giant cave spiders.  One is male, one is female, both are wild.  I used the same method as previous, telling my well-armored commander to kill it, then canceling the order so that she ran back inside, leading the spider directly to the traps.  Luckily, nothing was lost this time, not even a dog, and it took a matter of moments.  I've already prepared a chapel (not large enough yet to be a temple) of gold and steel, adorned with statues of the commander who captured them.  I'm preparing to put them both on chains and begin breeding.  The first children will be tamed and used for silk farming, while subsequent spiders will be put to use in arena pits and/or "noble relaxation chambers".

I also have a very low pop, only ~25, including children, since my pop cap is 0 and I only had two migrant waves.  I've still got legendary or near-legendary in the important skills, and I'm training up a surgeon now.  I'm starting to think that this fort is a keeper!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RE: GCS Gets!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 03:02:42 pm »

You can't use spiders to produce silk (I mean directly, like for milking)
You'll need to give them something to shoot webs at and then collect those left after. Thus your spider commander still has job to be done.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 03:06:27 pm »

No, Urist McLegendaryCheeseMigrant has a job to be done!  Urist McSpiderCatcher is going to be very busy polishing her weapon racks in her fantastic new bedroom!

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 03:26:39 pm »

Silk farming is simple: put wild spiders on chain, let them shoot at a cat. DO NOT tame them because they will no longer shoot webs at him.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 03:28:54 pm »

Meh, I have wild animals too, like cave crocodile and reachers, so tame spiders still have plenty of targets.  Plus, I want to make them into zoo animals.  Chains full of spiders to make great zoos!

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 03:35:17 pm »

Maybe (just maybe) spiders could be modded to be able to be milked for GCS silk...

Somebody with more knowledge of modding should look into this.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 05:02:03 pm »

I have now struck a problem.  I cannot effectively get my spiders out of their cages.  Even with the cage built next to the pit, my guys prefer to jump off the tower rather than pushing the spider in the hole.  I'd prefer not to build the cage and activate it, as this will leave my fancy Temple of the Spider cluttered with junk, but if it's the only option...

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 05:41:07 pm »

Could try washing them in there from another room using water.  But then of course you're left with mud which may be worse then random cages.  Or you could hide the cages, but you'll allways know they are there.  :P