Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: And Now For Something Completely Different: SimSig  (Read 2125 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
And Now For Something Completely Different: SimSig
« on: February 12, 2011, 02:26:43 pm »

Link

Quote from: SimSig website
Welcome to the world of railway signalling! SimSig brings the signal box to your home PC and with it the enjoyment and frustrations of running today's (and some of yesterday's) railways. How often has your train been delayed because of "signal failure" and you've wondered why trains can't be routed around the problem - or why it is even a problem in the first place? You'll soon see exactly why - with SimSig!

SimSig places you in the signaller's seat and lets you control the trains. You will be presented with an environment closely resembling a real signalling control centre, including the screen display and controls. It recreates the signalling as realistically as possible and it is up to you to route the trains to their destination and do your best to keep them on time. You will have to make the same kind of decisions that real signallers do to keep the railway running as smoothly as possible.

Sounds easy, doesn't it? Well, it is ... until something goes wrong. Can you cope with the everyday challenges of late running trains, random delays, signal and point failures, engineering works, or bad weather?

Much, much more fun than it sounds. The graphics are... well, pretty basic, but no worse than DF. The gameplay takes a surprising amount of skill; you need to think several steps ahead, multi-task a lot and have quick reflexes. Rail fans will appreciate the attention to detail and realism (it's a simplified version of a training simulator made by the same bloke), but everyone else can enjoy it as an unusual puzzle game.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: And Now For Something Completely Different: SimSig
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 05:08:52 pm »

And here I was thinking this would be a topic about simulating signatures.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 05:39:01 pm »

Same.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 05:39:44 pm »

Same.
Same. Click here to help my city grow or w/e was actually going through my mind.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 06:16:15 pm »

Sounds like the thread title is scaring people away, you might want to change it. :P
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 07:11:19 pm »

Dunno about this, I have nightmares about train signalling from playing OpenTTD.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 09:13:08 pm »

Dunno about this, I have nightmares about train signalling from playing OpenTTD.

lol yes.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 10:24:18 pm »

You don't have to design your own, just operate it. Have a tutorial video.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!