Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help?  (Read 770 times)

Cooleosis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Help?
« on: February 12, 2011, 02:19:52 pm »

Whenever I try to start up the game I get this:

I checked, and the file is there. When I replace it, the 'start playing' and 'continue' options on the menu disappear. I have played DF before, on a different computer which had Vista. I moved the entire file to this one which has w7. How can I fix it?
Also, I use the http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php tileset.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Help?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 02:46:36 pm »

Try copying the region and/or raw file into a fresh install of DF.  If you're using vanilla raws, then you don't have to worry about that, otherwise you'll lose your custom changes.  If you don't care about losing your current world(s) then just reinstall.  Not sure it'll help, but easy to do and good place to start!

Cooleosis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 10:50:55 pm »

It worked when I ran it straight from the winrar archive. But then when I came back to play later the same thing happened and I can't play still.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 11:46:03 pm »

Where are the decompressed files located?

IE.  "C:\Dwarf Fortress\"? or

"C:\Program Files\Dwarf Fortress\"?

I'm wondering if this might be due to the magic of the user account control and the restriction of certain folders to not always be "accessible" to processes that don't have sufficient permissions, and since Dwarf Fortress doesn't use the registry (Thank Armok!) it might not have the ability to acquire the necessary permissions from the OS to access parts of itself.