Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Tales of Grief and Suicide  (Read 931 times)

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress: Tales of Grief and Suicide
« on: February 12, 2011, 12:14:40 pm »

Today i bring a terrible terrible tale of grief from the young fortress of Highrock.
Tobul and Bemul were drafted into the fortress militia as soon as they arrived to the fort in the spring of 453, as they had no exceptional skills to speak of they would serve as the base of the labor force. They had arrived in the same migrant caravan and had as such taken not of eachother, they spent most of their breaks together. Their friendship soon grew into a romance, and they announced their wedding later that fall.

It is customary in highrock, that the militia partake in some training with arms and armor, Bemul showed great prowess in the yearly training sessions, and cought the eye of the militia commander, who was looking into expanding the active military. He rushed home to his wife with the great news, he was going to be the captain for the newly formed Bravo squad! Tobul smiled back and gave a little announcement of her own.

While it is not unusual to see dwarven women carrying their babies into battle, it was somewhat frowned upon in Highrock, the two previous cases of births in the active squad had resulted in the mother being relieved from active duty until the kid was grown up. Tobul would have none of it, she had worked too hard to join the ranks of Bravo squad, she would not be relieved from duty simply because she and Bemul had decided to start a family.
In the end he got her way, she was not discharged from bravo company, and went on to fight a number of small skirmishes, with her daughter Mafol clutched to her chest.

Then, in the summer of 455, tragedy struck.
The alarm sounded across the fortress, goblins had been spotted by the river. Bemul roused his troops, but realized to his dismay that one of his troops were missing, his wife was not there... She had gone to fetch water for a wounded soldier, and had not returned.
Bravo squad rushed to the river, and drove off  the mob of goblins surrounding a dwarf on the ground.
Bemul himself picked up his wounded wife and started running back to the fort.
"I.. couldn't save her" Tobul wheezed "i couldn't save our daughter..."
and she closed her eyes, never to open them again...

Tobul did not take the death of his wife and daughter well... Two weeks later he was found in the cistern of the fort, he couldn't take being apart from his family anymore...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Tales of Grief and Suicide
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 01:29:07 pm »

Step 1) Build tower.
Step 2) Station military at bottom of tower.
Step 3) Throw shit off the tower.
Step 4) "He doesn't really care about anything anymore".
Step 5) Write new ending.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 01:37:11 pm »

Heheh, when i wrote this i was trying to distance myself from the soulless toil that is dwarfery, where mermaid farming elf magmaing and military conditioning is as common as eating or drinking. I followed these two for a while before the tragic event depicted in the story above, and it kinda bummed me out to see the human (dwarfy) side of the story, so i thought i'd share :P

Back to the soulless dwarfity tho, i now have to empty my cistern and will be out of drinkable water for almost a year thanks to my very awesome (but slow) drainage system, i guess that is the REAL tragedy to this whole story

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 01:55:19 pm »

You DRINK water?!  Jeeze, you really are neglecting your dwarven heritage...

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 02:19:01 pm »

Well, you don't have to DRINK the water, but dwarves like to have a well nearby and complain if you don't.
I guess for emergencies (like drowning yourself)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 02:19:49 pm »

I find they only complain about wells if they don't have booze.