Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dealing with magma crabs  (Read 1527 times)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
dealing with magma crabs
« on: February 12, 2011, 11:04:17 am »

are magma crabs dangerous?
How to get rif of them? they keep interrupting my dorfs and cancel jobs

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dealing with magma crabs
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 11:45:23 am »

cage traps.
all the magma crabs i have just sit in the magma sea.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 11:46:05 am »

ah of course! my crabs are coming up the stairs and scareing the hell out of my dwarves

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 12:14:57 pm »

ah of course! my crabs are coming up the stairs and scareing the hell out of my dwarves

There's your problem, right there... you let them in!

Fortifications are your friend. Tunnel up to the side of a magma pool/volcano, smooth the obsidian, carve a fortification, and then hope Urist McWallcarver can run faster than the magma. Since magma isn't pressurized in the same way water is, this can even be done many z-levels below the top of the pipe. Be warned, though: weird flow physics have resulted in creatures being shoved through fortifications. In one incident, backflow even sucked my engraver out into the pipe. On the upside, He spotted lots of stuff for me on the way down. Praise the Miners!
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 03:34:06 pm »

There is a safer method to do this, but you need to find a part of magma see, that has rock above. On the level, I'll need magma I build fortifications 2 tiles away from magma, build a floodgate, link it to a lever, build another fortification, channel one tile from above to let magma in, then build floor on the channeled tile. Oh, and don't forget to wall off your fort from any magma channels. Also all my magma workshops have channels to magma only under impassable tiles. This works well.
Code: [Select]
...FXFcMMM. - mined out corridor to be filled with magma
F - fortification
X - floodgate linked to a lever, in case something goes !funny!.
c - when done with everything else, channel this from above, and build floor over it.
M - magma sea
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 09:20:12 pm »

In one incident, backflow even sucked my engraver out into the pipe. On the upside, He spotted lots of stuff for me on the way down. Praise the Miners!

This is truly epic
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 12:17:39 am »

Be warned, though: weird flow physics have resulted in creatures being shoved through fortifications.

Actually, other experiments have revealed that, at least with water, a fully submerged fortification does not block movement at all (depth 7/7 only - at 6/7 or less, it blocks movement) - I haven't explicitly tested with magma, but it's highly likely that the same thing will happen.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 12:53:37 am »

Be warned, though: weird flow physics have resulted in creatures being shoved through fortifications.

Actually, other experiments have revealed that, at least with water, a fully submerged fortification does not block movement at all (depth 7/7 only - at 6/7 or less, it blocks movement) - I haven't explicitly tested with magma, but it's highly likely that the same thing will happen.

This paralells my experiences.  In my experimentation I did find that having 2 fortifications sepeerated by a diagonal seems to actually block access however:

Code: [Select]
W.WW
WFWW
WWFW
WW.W

Something like that...

Could be I needed to do more experimentation however?
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 02:41:29 am »

Never had any problems... maybe it's because I also cap the channel with the workshops?
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 05:54:47 am »

or if you have access to the magma from the topmost level, you can channel a trough right up to the edge of the magma, leaving 1 space. then build fortifications out of magma safe stone in the channel right up against the magma side, two rows wide. I say two rows of fortifications because creatures can slip through fortifications in rare cases, but two rows is said to be impenetrable. then once the fortifications are built, consider putting some floodgates up next to them, if you ever need to stop the lava flow. always a good idea if you ask me. then once all this is done, channel down through the gap you left between your trough and the lava. seal off the top of the lava source, and voila, magma as safe as it gets, not even building destroyers could get through. I prefer this method because no dwarves have to outrun any lava, but i recognize it is situational
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 07:15:15 am »

Use pumps.

Put a grate over the tile the pump draws the liquid through, then you can have it pump either water or magma into other channels for use in your fortress.

AFAIK nothing can destroy a building from below. They must be on the same level as the building, thus, they cannot attack the dwarf through the grate, they cannot go through the grate, and cannot destroy the grate. At worst they may frighten the dwarf operating the pump. If you mechanically power the pump then there isn't even this problem.