Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: The DF Map Archive  (Read 79114 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF Map Archive
« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2008, 09:47:00 pm »

I discovered andLinux yesterday, got it installed, and found and fixed a ton of bugs which were keeping the compressor from working properly in linux, and making the GUI in linux look weird or screwed up. So, there's a new version now, 3.3.2, which fixes those things. (I don't know why nobody reported those problems)

I also added improved tips for how to install Mono 1.2.6 on Ubuntu near the top of the page. I'll repaste it here:

If you use Ubuntu or the like, and 1.2.6 isn't in your repositories, go to the Mono website and click 'other downloads', and get the .bin file. Mark it executable, and then run it. It should install mono 1.2.6 for you. (For me, after it finished it said something about missing some libraries, but mono still ran the compressor fine - some other things, like monodevelop, didn't work though)

(Obviously, you don't need monodevelop to run the compressor)

Mono's downloads page is here: http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html

Mono also has a Mac OS X installer (if that's what a dmg file is) on their website - I haven't tried the compressor with mono on OS X (I don't have a mac, it isn't free, and I don't have an emulator for it or anything like that), but hopefully it should work just the same as it does on linux.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2008, 06:40:00 am »

DFMA Server migration

My site: http://mkv25.net/  is being moved to a new server. I have upgraded the webhosting package from its puny homebrew setup to a full business account, with shiny 10GB file storage and 200GB/month of transfer.

The migration shouldn't take longer then an hour, and you should see no difference when the site is moved over. My webhost tells me links from the old site will be forwarded to the new while DNS propogation takes place.

DFMA currently has over 400 registered users, and attracted 1200 visits a day on average last month. That's not a huge number, but it keeps the server ticking over, and there's always new maps and movies to see. So thank you for using the service, and I hope you and I enjoy playing DF for many years to come.

- Markavian

[ April 27, 2008: Message edited by: Markavian ]

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2008, 09:53:00 am »

*Starts browsing around idly*...

Oooh, spinning hexagons...

*Browses some more*...

*Realization hits with force of twenty tonnes of concrete brick*

ZOMFG MARKAVIAN FROM SPACE EMPIRES?!?!

Not that you'd know me, I'm not a registered member. But I do own copies of IV and V.

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2008, 02:58:00 pm »

Hi Boski, ^_^ yeah, that's me. Moved onto DF from Space Empires at the start of last year. There's a few others around playing DF from the SE community a well.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2008, 05:56:00 pm »

most of us are completely disreputable, though.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 27, 2008, 07:34:00 pm »

WOW MARK it's you! I was here about half a year and just realised it... I'm from SE community someway too, but I'm not registered (I've read a lot of forums though).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #156 on: May 01, 2008, 05:07:00 pm »

* Well nice to meet you all. An update!

2008-05-01

• Fixed bug with map recentering wrongly when recentering view using buttons
  • FYI: Views can be changed using the lowercase keys: (t)op, (s)ide, and (f)ront
  • Hosting: mkv25.net has been migrated to a new plan! This means more bandwidth, and more filespace, both of which were near their limits. Thanks to www.icdsoft.com for another's year's stable hosting.
  • Continuing to review map viewer code to produce an isometric map viewer, though this is still some way off. Am looking for isometric-tile artist.
    Something like this isometric render of dwarf fortress, (edit: by Chris Hildenbrandt http://spriteattack.cator.de/) would be very cool

In other news: My final year project for university is done, handed in, finished. Just three exams to go and I should be a qualified Software Engineer. Yay. I'll be looking for jobs as a Flash / Web developer in the near future.

[ May 01, 2008: Message edited by: Markavian ]

More updates:

2008-05-07

• Added feature: Setting default Point of Interest for a map
  • When adding a new PoI, or editing an existing one, there is now a checkbox labelled "Make default for this map"
  • When viewing a map, if there is a default PoI, the map will be focused on that location, instead of centering in the center of the map
  • Thanks to Mister Six for prompting me to add this feature
  • For example, on Crystal Umbra the Entry Corridor is selected from the start.

[ May 06, 2008: Message edited by: Markavian ]

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
    • DF Map Archive Admin
      • View Profile
      • DF Map Archive
    « Reply #157 on: July 19, 2008, 07:19:16 am »

2008-07-19
    • Added report problem page/form for registered users to send messages to myself and the moderators
    • Links to the page can be found on the left "Report problem / contact" or from below map entries "(Report problem)"
    • Feel free to use this form to report spam or to send any feedback and suggestions you have

2008-07-10
    • Fixed bug on movie comments page where page 2 and beyond directed to the map comments page (thanks to Zaratustra)

Recent favourite map: Ectosack 1067 by Unbeltedsundew

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #158 on: July 19, 2008, 02:17:52 pm »

Hey Markavian. How is the isometric map viewer going?

If it is too complicated you could simply add an isometric layer view without adding any kind of fancy sprite art. You would have only to remove from each layer all open space squares.
    You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
    • DF Map Archive Admin
      • View Profile
      • DF Map Archive
    « Reply #159 on: July 19, 2008, 05:49:49 pm »

Hey Zemat, slow... my first attempt just turned into a mess. The current attempt has seen me strip out all of the old functionality to a bare bones loader. Gonna take a look at it now I think, just not had the time to press on with it.

- Markavian

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
    • DF Map Archive Admin
      • View Profile
      • DF Map Archive
    « Reply #160 on: July 20, 2008, 01:53:12 pm »

Isometric viewer test
    Current progress: dfma_isometric_mapviewer_b2b.swf

Loads and decodes an fdf-map, as before, loads a bitmap (PNG), splits the bitmap into a list of tiles, renders a 4x4 grid of isometric tiles.

Test tile data: df_isometric_tiles_small.png

Progress of sorts.

Other news
    Kinda excited by Toady's annoucment on the dev now page that he's "added ability to leave notes on the map in dwarf mode". This sounds very cool. I would be very interested to see this information exported with maps so that I could write a script to display this information along side maps on the map archive.

- Markavian

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
    • Minister of Love
      • View Profile
    « Reply #161 on: July 20, 2008, 02:09:10 pm »

Other news
    Kinda excited by Toady's annoucment on the dev now page that he's "added ability to leave notes on the map in dwarf mode". This sounds very cool. I would be very interested to see this information exported with maps so that I could write a script to display this information along side maps on the map archive.

- Markavian

Maybe make it an option, when uploading maps, to select notes and automatically make them points of interest?

Of course, Toady would need to make it export them.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
    • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
      • View Profile
    « Reply #162 on: July 21, 2008, 11:14:20 am »

-Snip-

I bloody hate having brothers.
    ...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
    • God of Gods of Blood.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #163 on: July 21, 2008, 11:27:25 am »

Maybe make it an option, when uploading maps, to select notes and automatically make them points of interest?

Of course, Toady would need to make it export them.

Let's not put the liability onto Toady, since this is a 3rd party project, he shouldn't have to accommodate a feature to help with another program. He's got enough to do without worrying about another project of someone else's.
    As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
    • DF Map Archive Admin
      • View Profile
      • DF Map Archive
    « Reply #164 on: July 21, 2008, 03:06:27 pm »

Toady can pick whichever export format he likes, and we (me, and SL, or whoever) will do the rest of the work... but short of writing a memory extract type program like the DF Visuliser uses there's not much we can do use the new label format. I prefer to deal with input/output files from one program to another.

I see the DFMA as a supporting tool for the community and to promote DF. I welcome any support Toady can lend to expanding the functionality of the map viewer. If these map labels are as cool as I think they'll be then the simplest way to get them online for other's to see is if there is some export option to dump them to a text file.

There's no harm in asking :)

- Markavian
    Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14