Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is my fortress cursed?  (Read 1813 times)

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
Is my fortress cursed?
« on: February 12, 2011, 06:08:12 am »

I mean, wow, it's just getting ridiculous. Five attempts to get through the same year, and they've ALL been met with complete destruction before Autumn. (I've put TL;DR s for all my tries).

So here's the story: It's the 8th year of my fort, doing quite nicely (even got a few bits of cotton candy, which I turned into a sword and an artefact earring (huzzah ¬.¬)). Currently at 100 dwarves (still only a mayor though, and no other nobles...). I've got autosaves on, and these all begin from the start of the year

Try I:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
TL;DR  Lion bypassed my entire fortress, killed a load of dwarves, tantruming cotton-candy-wielding legendary finished off the rest.

Try II:
TL;DR   Multiple ambushes kill military, double-teamed with Kobold thieves to make me defenceless.

Try III
TL;DR  Shit-flinging forgotten beast.

Try IV
TL; DR   Goblins forced my dwarves underground, food and booze supplies lost to insane dwarf.

Try V
TL;DR   Flying goblins bypassed entrance, glorious last stand. Decapitated babies.

So, as I warily begin attempt VI, I ask this: Is my fortress doomed to die? I can't help but to get the feeling that somewhere, within the magma-covered depths of the game code, Armok is laughing at me. I am making a plaintative gesture.
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is my fortress cursed?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 06:10:40 am »

upload? we must see if it is you or the save
LOSING IS FUN!

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 07:48:48 am »

"Is my fortress cursed?"

Yes

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 08:11:12 am »

"Is my every fortress cursed?"

Yes
Much better.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 08:46:32 am »

This sounds normal to me, just saying.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 08:53:04 am »

Well thats some bad luck , but that is dwarf fortress. ALWAYS
Desu

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 08:55:05 am »

It's not cursed. It's  ARMOKED.
Finis sanctificat media.

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 09:09:08 am »

how much bodies did you have to clean up after every try?

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 09:14:29 am »

Try IV was great, but it sounds like it's about time for your poor, multiple-death dwarves to gather up their remaining nine lives and flee into the wilderness.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 09:22:53 am »

There's some bad luck for you here, definitly.
But there's also some valuable lessons to be learned here.

Lesson Ia: be wary of large felines
Lesson Ib: do not allow your miltary dwarves to make many friends

Lesson IIa: Do not give your mayor, who typically has more friends than any other dwarf, any jobs that put them in danger, like fishing or woodcutting.
Lesson IIb: Use raised bridges to lock your fortess, not doors.

Lesson III: Be very sure there are no possible paths to your caves, including vertical paths.

Lesson IV: Make sure no dwarf can take a magma dip without your help.

Lesson V: Build a roof over your entrance
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 09:59:06 am »

Sounds normal to me. Also sounds Fun!

Norseman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 10:16:56 am »

You should have a properly equipped and trained military. You mentioned that you had made steel spears - that's a good start, but make some steel armor as well. Have a squad of 10 dwarves that you provide with full steel armor and steel weapons (or crossbows), and train them up. You should be able to manage your entire economy with just 60 dwarves, and you can get by in a pinch with fewer dwarves, as well. First, if you have any easily replaced dwarves (miners, woodcutters, hunters, stonecrafters, etc.) with military skills, draft them. If you still don't have enough dwarves, pick dwarves who have useless skills (and preferably some military skills), even if they also lack combat skills.

It sounds like you didn't have an armed or trained military to protect yourself, and that's where you started having problems. Solving that should solve your other issues. Also, consider getting some dogs. Even without training, dogs will attack your enemies. With training, they become more deadly, and they breed into a max population of 50 by default. Even if they don't manage to kill your enemies, they at least provide a distraction, and an acceptable target for attacks. If a goblin slaughters a pack of your dogs, there won't be any tantrum spiral, and it will offer your marksmen some time to shoot the goblin.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 12:20:56 pm »

Also, consider getting some dogs. Even without training, dogs will attack your enemies. With training, they become more deadly, and they breed into a max population of 50 by default. Even if they don't manage to kill your enemies, they at least provide a distraction, and an acceptable target for attacks. If a goblin slaughters a pack of your dogs, there won't be any tantrum spiral, and it will offer your marksmen some time to shoot the goblin.

My military specializes in killing things while they concentrate on the dogs. Two chained mutts have successfully distracted titans long enough for my axedwarves to hack 'em to bits. Never underestimate the utility of bait.
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 12:24:56 pm »

Man I wish my forts were that interesting. Mine all die FPS deaths before I can have that much Fun.

Your lion problems can be solved by a more cruel entryway: instead of a 3x10 trap carpet channel out both sides of the hallway about 5-10 Z-levels deep leaving a single strip in the middle of the hall which you line with cage, spiked ball, giant axe blade and silver hammer traps. Enemies will dodge the traps down all those Z-levels and have to climb back up and try to brave the gauntlet again and again until they die or give up. Line the bottoms of those channeled pits with cheap menacing spikes or magma.

Code: [Select]

W = wall
. = open space down to spikes
+ = floor
^ = trap
S = stairs

<= your fort                                     outside =>

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
+.......................................................S++
+^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^+++
+.......................................................S++
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 12:40:19 pm »

I think the real issue came up in fortress #2--where the militia rampage with adamantine weapons--you got the stuff way too early, your military isn't hardened enough not to rampage with what might as well be a lightsaber. This is also why you are getting sieges your first summer--your fortress value goes off the charts with adamantine, so the goblins come.  It's better to pace your blue-stuff and gemstone encrustration until you've got a strong handle on fortress security.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?
Pages: [1] 2