Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weaponizing a Bathtub  (Read 1657 times)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Weaponizing a Bathtub
« on: February 12, 2011, 04:26:45 am »

I'm still working on the theory of it, but I believe that, in principle, it should be possible to weaponize the Dwarven Bathtub.

The key is to find an FB with a suitably deadly syndrome, kill it, have someone get contaminated, send them into the bathtub, then drain the bathwater, leaving the tainted stuff behind.  Naturally, you also need some way to get your enemies to path through the tub (and to get your dwarves to go around it).  I've already been able to use hallways and assigned levers (or military station orders) to get dwarves in and out of tubs.  The main thing holding me back right now is the lack of a suitable FB.

Has anyone else tried anything like this?
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponizing a Bathtub
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 04:47:48 am »

yes, my fort died...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 06:49:20 am »

This thread is pure awesomesuase just because of the title :)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 07:50:21 am »

Did this once, by accident. Due to a slight mistake in planning I flooded a small area with water, but not enough to stop dwarves from trampeling through it. Which was just what my military did after they killed some snail with wings and poison, or something.

It was the sort of poison that didnt outright kill my dwarves, but chronically made them pass out, get blisters and suspend constructions. Eventualy half my fortress had it and most construction time I spent unsuspending constructions. Somehow every time a dwarf that somehow found another FB crud contaminant stood in a puddle of water at least half a dozen dwarves keeled over.

I cant recommend it.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 03:50:26 pm »

I was kind of hoping to use it on my enemies, rather than on my own dwarves... :)
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 06:27:08 pm »

Well, in theory you could do that. Make an entrance to your fort that can be closed off by a drawbridge and a long snaking corridor, that will still let invaders in after main entrance is closed. Get contaminant into that long corridor (either a dwarfbath, or just kill the FB there), and invaders will be infected before getting inside fort. Make sure to burrow dwarfs outside of that corridor, and block it off with cat-impassable door, and put a normal dwarfbath at both entrances.

IMO this is still not worth it, as there are easier ways to deal with invaders than turning a fort into a biohazard zone.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 06:31:16 pm »

Main problem I can see, assuming you can keep your own dwarfs out of the bathtub-weapon, is enemies passing through it, getting sick, but managing to get inside your fort and spread it around before dying.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 06:53:59 pm »

Main problem I can see, assuming you can keep your own dwarfs out of the bathtub-weapon, is enemies passing through it, getting sick, but managing to get inside your fort and spread it around before dying.

That's why I included normal bathtubs at both entrances to long corridor, and doors to keep cats away.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Shaio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 07:50:33 pm »

For extra win place infected pool directly above central staircase, so in situation of lost fort you have a cool end it all lever.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 08:15:40 pm »

Another thought would be turning a zone like this into a dungeon.  Just pit goblin prisoners and such down there and have them rot away from FB-borne diseases.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 08:18:27 pm »

Another thought would be turning a zone like this into a dungeon.  Just pit goblin prisoners and such down there and have them rot away from FB-borne diseases.

That idea is made of win, in my mind.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 12:04:57 am »

That idea is made of win, in my mind.

Bonus points if you build that dungeon down in, err, the "carnival"