Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How long to you think dwarf fortress will take to be ready for sale.  (Read 3925 times)

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How long to you think dwarf fortress will take to be ready for sale.
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 02:34:45 pm »

The day Toady release the Final version of Dwarf Fortress is probably the day I'll see the end of me playing it somewhere on the horizon. Part of the fun of DF is me learning a game that Toady keeps adding and changing. Right now I am taking a break waiting for the new arc to be release while having fun tearing necromorphs limb from limb in Dead Space 2. But I can get my EA shelfwarez any days, and in 3 days Dead Space 2 is done. And Ill start thinking about DF again. This game is a rarity, because games Dwarf Fortress is never complete in my mind. Either Toady will stop developing for one reason or another, or Ill stop playing, but I think "finished" is not likely. But who knows what would happen in 5 more years. The man obviously has a lot of stamina on this!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 02:49:54 pm »

I thought Toady wasn't planning on selling the game...?

I think the biggest thing that attracts people to donate is that he is constantly changing and updating, and giving out this wonder for free. I think that the day its published by a full publisher and sold on the shelves, it won't be as good as it was/is on the forums for free. We all look forward to the constant change and struggle, we persevere through bugs and glitches to find the funniest and best stories. I swear that sometimes this game is more alive than we even give credit to. We actively seek out the game, its not on a shelf for everyone to see. I feel like if it was mass produced and sold everywhere, it wouldn't have the respect or following that it has now.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2011, 02:57:26 pm »

We're all missing the biggest point.  No one in their right mind would ever publish this!  What publisher would think it's a good idea to sell a game that encourages the wholesale slaughter of kittens, the stripping of prisoners before feeding them to a caged giant cave spider, the berzerk rage of a mother who could not find silk cloth, and in her rage tears off the limbs and eyes of her clutched infant, the dropping of low-skill citizens for the pure purpose of training your medical staff, or, debatably worse than all, the caging, chaining, forced breeding, and genocide of mermaids for their precious, delicious bones?

The simple truth is that no one will publish this game, and even if they did, it would NEVER appear on any store shelf.  ESRB would have such a field day with this that Grand Theft Auto would look like Care Bears!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011, 03:18:25 pm »

Above poster has a point.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2011, 03:23:05 pm »

Oh yes, and let's not forget the various updates!  As each unlocks new, fun features, they also unlock new, Fun abuse.  I could not tell you the countless ways in which eggs will generate travesties.  Mermaid egg farming for one, not to mention ≡Bald Eagle Egg Roast[4]≡ and dropping eggs upon the heads of invaders as a form of weaponry.

I'm curious though, as to how eggs will work, and if they require heat to hatch...

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2011, 03:24:10 pm »

Above poster has a point.
Same here.

Now, let us start making new ratings just for Dwarf Fortress!
I for "Insanity"?
O for "Oh god what?"
DF is worth a thousand words, and more! To hell with pictures!

GTM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2011, 03:49:19 pm »

Within the next two years or so, you'll see at least one published fortress building game for sale, and it'll probably be around the complexity level DF had when boatmurdered was written, but with better graphics and streamlined UI and toned down violence.  It'll sell well, and people will play it for a few months, and then forget about it and move on to the next game, just like they do with everything else.

Meanwhile, DF players will be overseeing guilds within their fortress having complex political struggles over rights to resources, while treasure hunters undercover in the tavern outside the fortress will be plotting to invade it and steal back an artifact made from their leader's father's bones in some dwarf's fell mood, only to have the whole operation interrupted by an epic invasion of all the united goblin tribes, led by the dwarven king who was secretly a goblin all along but possessed a magical cloak stolen from hell itself.  All procedurally generated.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 03:50:42 pm »

Within the next two years or so, you'll see at least one published fortress building game for sale, and it'll probably be around the complexity level DF had when boatmurdered was written, but with better graphics and streamlined UI and toned down violence.  It'll sell well, and people will play it for a few months, and then forget about it and move on to the next game, just like they do with everything else.

Meanwhile, DF players will be overseeing guilds within their fortress having complex political struggles over rights to resources, while treasure hunters undercover in the tavern outside the fortress will be plotting to invade it and steal back an artifact made from their leader's father's bones in some dwarf's fell mood, only to have the whole operation interrupted by an epic invasion of all the united goblin tribes, led by the dwarven king who was secretly a goblin all along but possessed a magical cloak stolen from hell itself.  All procedurally generated, randomly.

Fixed.

I agree with this statement through and through.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2011, 04:08:38 pm »

And that will be the day I die from over exposure to awesome
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2011, 04:45:50 pm »

Meanwhile, DF players will be overseeing guilds within their fortress having complex political struggles over rights to resources, while treasure hunters undercover in the tavern outside the fortress will be plotting to invade it and steal back an artifact made from their leader's father's bones in some dwarf's fell mood, only to have the whole operation interrupted by an epic invasion of all the united goblin tribes, led by the dwarven king who was secretly a goblin all along but possessed a magical cloak stolen from hell itself.  All procedurally generated.

And then the former people will discover Dwarf Fortress, and plague the forums with such comments as 'LOL what is this? This is a complete ripoff!'

On topic, I think it really depends on whether computer technology continues to progress exponentially or not.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2011, 07:25:04 pm »

And then the former people will discover Dwarf Fortress, and plague the forums with such comments as 'LOL what is this? This is a complete ripoff!'

On topic, I think it really depends on whether computer technology continues to progress exponentially or not.
Dwarf fortress would have to work on utilizing that power then. It's not exactly pushing the GPU, and it's not exactly utilizing the CPU power currently available (Multi-core anyone?). FPS drop is already the cause of the fall of many fortresses.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2011, 08:09:57 pm »

I start getting bored and frustrated when my FPS starts dipping below 100. I like 150 the best. I wish I could keep that with more than 40 dwarves after 10 years.
Pages: 1 2 [3]